What's new

Rapira Platinum Lux!

I just shaved with a Platinum Lux for the first time a few minutes ago.
Wow I am really impressed! These blades are really sharp and not overly rough. I could have stopped after the first pass and gotten a DFS but I finished as usual with another one. This was one of my most comfortable shaves ever. They felt a little like Astra SS but sharper. Like a Gillette Yellow too but a tad less smooth. They are my new favorite now. There was no sting or burn upon applying my usual cheap aftershave the Day Logic an Aqua Velva clone AS. If one has not tried these blades I recommend giving them a chance. They’re awesome. BTW: They’re 8.99 on Amazon Prime

Razorhead

I got one tuck of Rapira PL in a sampler pack a while ago, tried it, and bought 25 to have them on hand. I don't use it everyday but it's in the rotation. I agree with your take on it being Astra-like in providing a reliably irritation free shave. I don't think it's as sharp or smooth as a Yellow, but is more mellow, which is sometimes desirable. It's really good in terms of not irritating my face. And the price is great.

So far, out of the blades I have in my stash, this is the only blade that I can regularly get to work in my Mamba .70.

If you like those, see if you can find some Sharp Star blades. They are the deluxe version of Rapira PL, limited edition double wrapped for the Pakistani market. I bought 650 of them because I liked them so much. Rapira makes some really good blades!

If you like those, see if you can find some Sharp Star blades. They are the deluxe version of Rapira PL, limited edition double wrapped for the Pakistani market. I bought 650 of them because I liked them so much. Rapira makes some really good blades!

650!! Now that’s a commitment! :a14::a14:

Agree 100%... Last week mail call

IMG_20190530_113624724_HDR.jpg

Cheers

Well, used this blade for shave number 2 tonight and it was better than the first one. Used Proraso Green as the soap with no pre or post products. Razor was an English made 1965 Tech, with the striped handle. No irritation. Super comfortable BBS. If I can get 7 good shaves from these I think I’ll purchase about 200 of them. I am surprised by these results. In a good way.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have a tuck that I have not used from a sampler pack. Might have to give them a try next week when I change blades.

I like Rapira Platinum Lux blades, especially in more aggressive razors. I place them in the mid-sharp category along with 7 O'Clock Yellow and Green, Gillette Silver Blue, Polsilver and Gillette branded Wilkinson Sword blades.

Shave 5 with this blade and it’s a good one. Will use it as long as I can. I believe it’ll make it thru 10 shaves... using it only in one of my Techs, the 1962 the 49 cent special. Original price.

6th shave with the blade today and it’s fading fast. Much more duller in performance but I’ll see how long it will last. These aren’t bad blades for me but they don’t appear to me to have the longevity of the Astras. On the forum here I have not seen members post getting many shaves on Rapiras so obviously I’m not alone with this experience. Moving the blade to a more aggressive razor may help to get a few more good shaves from it.

6th shave with the blade today and it’s fading fast. Much more duller in performance but I’ll see how long it will last. These aren’t bad blades for me but they don’t appear to me to have the longevity of the Astras. On the forum here I have not seen members post getting many shaves on Rapiras so obviously I’m not alone with this experience. Moving the blade to a more aggressive razor may help to get a few more good shaves from it.

I am glad you can get many good shaves with an Astra. Today, I shaved one side of my face with a Rubie and the other with an Astra SP. They were both in EJ DE89/R89 heads. For me, the SP is neither sharp nor smooth. The Rubies are no better. I would much rather shave with a Rapira Platinum Lux. I find it to be sharper and smoother. As far as longevity, I have no idea; I have yet to find a blade that will last longer than 3-4 shaves for me before becoming to dull or too rough.

I am glad you can get many good shaves with an Astra. Today, I shaved one side of my face with a Rubie and the other with an Astra SP. They were both in EJ DE89/R89 heads. For me, the SP is neither sharp nor smooth. The Rubies are no better. I would much rather shave with a Rapira Platinum Lux. I find it to be sharper and smoother. As far as longevity, I have no idea; I have yet to find a blade that will last longer than 3-4 shaves for me before becoming to dull or too rough.
I have no real experience with the Astra SP blades as I only used a few samples years ago. They shaved okay for me. But nothing too special. I only use the Stainless ones i.e. the Blues. I find them sharp and smooth enough. Actually.... they’re great blades for me! Give those a try if you can. You might like them.
Razorhead

Top Bottom