What's new

Rapira Platinum Lux!

I have no real experience with the Astra SP blades as I only used a few samples years ago. They shaved okay for me. But nothing too special. I only use the Stainless ones i.e. the Blues. I find them sharp and smooth enough. Actually.... they’re great blades for me! Give those a try if you can. You might like them.
Razorhead

I do like the Astra SS blades. Unlike the Astra SP blades, I find the SS blades to be both sharp and smooth. They are not the sharpest blades available, but I find the SS blades work well for me, whereas the SP blades are barely usable. A lot of people claim the SP blades are both sharp and smooth, but that has not been my experience.

These blades are sharp but a bit rough on the face. I can do a two pass with these blades but if I go ATG, that's when irritation takes a visit.

Rapiras are very underrated blades but especially the Swedish Super Steels for me. They were among the best blades in my box, not just dollar for dollar, they were less expensive then my other favorites, but best period.

Rapiras are very underrated blades but especially the Swedish Super Steels for me. They were among the best blades in my box, not just dollar for dollar, they were less expensive then my other favorites, but best period.

Sweedish super steels? What blades are those?

3B14A650-92EC-4574-AC54-F92FB925A973.png
Sweedish super steels? What blades are those?

Blade experiences vary so much from person to person it is tough to recommend one. I think you just need to try a few dozen to find what you like. My favorites are:

Rapira Swedish Steel
Astra SP
Voshkod
Rapira plat lux

Blade experiences vary so much from person to person it is tough to recommend one. I think you just need to try a few dozen to find what you like. My favorites are:

Rapira Swedish Steel
Astra SP
Voshkod
Rapira plat lux

I don't like Astra sp and will never use a vokshod blade again

But I do understand what you are saying.

It is funny how one blade can be terrible for one person and yet great for another.

Blades vary in their degree of sharpness and also face feel. Each individual has their own beard characteristics and skin type. Then there are a wide variety of razors from very mild (Weishi/VDH TTO) to very aggressive (adjustable on high setting, Muhle R41 especially the early version and others). We also vary in our shaving technique. Thus, everyone has to find the blade or blades that work well for your beard, your skin, your razor, and your technique.

I am a senior citizen with a very tough, wiry beard, and very thin, sensitive skin. I shave with a variety of razors that vary in aggressiveness. In general, I like very sharp blades and very aggressive razors to deal with my tough beard. However, my skin will not tolerate the harshness that some combinations of blades and razors create. Thus, I use mid-sharp blades in more aggressive razors and the sharpest blades in less aggressive razors. Very mild blades (VDH, Merkur, Derby Extra, Shark Chrome) are not sharp enough to shave without severe tugging. However, I know that people with beards finer than mine may love them.

The only way to find out what blades work best for you is to try them in each razor you own. I have tried about 25 blades, but I am still exploring new ones. Blades I have tried recently have been BIC Chrome Platinum (love), Dorco Prime Platinum (love), and Gillette Rubie (fair). I have some Gillette Perma-Sharp Super blades arriving today. I have heard they are very sharp, but they may feel too harsh on my face. I am sure I can use them in a mild razor, but I hope they will work in more aggressive razors as well.

I have 100 sharp stars being delivered. I can't wait to try them.
Great blade I have 300 and I like them.Sharp and smooth like a green or yellow 7 oclock.Admittedly I was suprized and then tried them again in different razors and it was all good.The new Derby USTA is similar but the Sharp Star is just a little better.

I am loving the sharp star. I'm hoping I can get working again before they sell out so I can buy more. I do love the rapira platinum lux blades as well so worse case scenario I can get those. I did order 100 of the rapira platinum lux blades as well.

Top Bottom