What's new

Rapira Platinum Lux - the Razor not the Blade

Looking forward to the shave reports!

And yes, this LOOKS like a mild razor, it FEELS like a moderately aggressive razor and it SHAVES like a fierce fierce thing...

Shaved with the Rapira PL again this morning to make sure I hadn't been dreaming last time I used it:
proxy.php

Wow! What a razor! How can something this cheap made of thin pot metal be so so good?

It feels very smooth and not particularly aggressive, like a British NEW maybe.
The result, however, is guaranteed instant irritation free BBS right up there with the R41 and Shavecraft Tech.
After the shave my face is left feeling like smooth rubber. Go figure...

Truly an astonishing razor!
You took a whole month to try it again?

So I shaved with the Rapira PL today.
Wow! Until now my very favourite DE was the Shavecraft Tech which is beautifully made, as well as Spitfire R41 and Devette.

I am SHOCKED to say that the Rapira PL outperforms them all.
It's very very aggressive but also incredibly smooth, and blade alignment is spot on due to the way that the corner tabs in the cap hold the blade, Tech style.

Of course the Rapira is just made of thin pot metal and feels very cheap, and the plastic handle is hideous.
The geometry, however, is INCREDIBLE and somehow this has all the efficiency of the Shavecraft Tech and Devette combined with a real silky smoothness.

Oh no! It's so cheap yet so PERFECT!!

The blade is almost flat in the head but very rigidly braced and the guard falls away at exactly the right angle:

And of course it's much much better when you put a nice chunky handle on it:

This Rapira PL cost less than £5 and it is unquestionably the best performing DE I've ever used.

What a surprise! If you like aggressive razors this could well be the best of the bunch in terms of efficiency and smoothness.

And it's just amazing that something so cheap and made with such low quality materials can deliver such a superb shave.
I accidentally stumbled across this thread. :001_rolle Being a fan of Marcus' posts I had to look for this on eBay.

It all took me by surprise, currently being a "no zamak" and all "open comb" type of shaver. There was one left (out of 10) from a Russian seller at a huge $3.50 (+ $6 shipping).
$RapiraPlatinumLuxRazor_2016-08-18.jpg
And as it was the last one, for 7.50 GBP total (to me), I snapped it up! :w00t:

If you're there Marcus, would you recommend the first shave with the supplied Rapira blades, or what I normally use (currently Feather)?

Estimated earliest landing (with me) date is September 1, can't wait! :devil:

[MENTION=106012]1Cal[/MENTION] - yes this really is a surprising razor and it will be great to hear what you make of it.
I used the supplied Rapira blade for the first shave and a vintage Gillette Platinum for the second.

I think the sharper the better with this, so a Feather should be superb once you've got a feel for the razor [emoji3]

[MENTION=67066]mjclark[/MENTION]
Many thanks for your reply Marcus. :001_smile
When it lands I'll do my first shave with one of the supplied Rapiras and report back here. :thumbup1:

Do you guys think its worth it for me to purchase this? My go to's are 37c, r41, Cadet, I'm into aggressive razors to tackle my neck BBS.
I was thinking maybe a Shvcrft tech, then saw this thread, for 13.00 shipped, worth a try.

Do you guys think its worth it for me to purchase this? My go to's are 37c, r41, Cadet, I'm into aggressive razors to tackle my neck BBS.
I was thinking maybe a Shvcrft tech, then saw this thread, for 13.00 shipped, worth a try.

Definitely go for it because the Rapira PL shaves as good as the best of them and for $13 it's all jam.

And, for me, the Shavecraft Tech is perfect, a beautifully made masterpiece.

Have you tried a Devette?
You can modify a RiMei or an old Tech to get an amazing performer too.

Tried mine yesterday. To my mind this razor is quite close to Gillette Sterling.
I also have other clones, they are less aggressive.

[MENTION=67066]mjclark[/MENTION] - Marcus, thanks for pointing out this razor! Received it yesterday, loaded a Rapira blade and took it for a ride.

It is amazingly cheap looking, but what a shave!!! Using a steep angle approach, a tad more efficient than the Shavecraft Tech, and smoother too!

Cheers Marcus!

[MENTION=67066]mjclark[/MENTION] - Marcus, thanks for pointing out this razor! Received it yesterday, loaded a Rapira blade and took it for a ride.

It is amazingly cheap looking, but what a shave!!! Using a steep angle approach, a tad more efficient than the Shavecraft Tech, and smoother too!

Cheers Marcus!

Glad you like it David! You've pointed me in the right direction a few times yourself [emoji3]

And yes, in spite of the super cheap build, the shave quality from the Rapira PL is phenomenal eh?

And yes, in spite of the super cheap build, the shave quality from the Rapira PL is phenomenal eh?

7 hours since the morning shave, I can now say with confidence that this razor shaves noticeably closer than the Shavecraft Tech, still near bbs!!! Phenomenal is not an overstatement!!!

Top Bottom