What's new

Rapira Platinum Lux - the Razor not the Blade

7 hours since the morning shave, I can now say with confidence that this razor shaves noticeably closer than the Shavecraft Tech, still near bbs!!! Phenomenal is not an overstatement!!!
I can't wait for mine to arrive! :popc:

Did you use the razor au naturel David (i.e. no fancy handles and stuff), and if so how does it feel in use?

Cal, it is very lightweight. Easy to find the steep angle I used. Very smooth blade feel. 1 pass plus buff for me, I rate it [emoji106][emoji106] I will try a heavier handle soon.

If you like razors that lean towards the Shavecraft Tech, you will be happy with your purchase... especially considering the price!

@mjclark - Marcus, thanks for pointing out this razor! Received it yesterday, loaded a Rapira blade and took it for a ride.

It is amazingly cheap looking, but what a shave!!! Using a steep angle approach, a tad more efficient than the Shavecraft Tech, and smoother too!

Cheers Marcus!

I'm wondering if this is very similar in design to the Shavecraft Tech. Considering how many people consider the Shavecraft to be the most aggressive razor on the market today that's saying something that you think it's actually more efficient. I find it very efficient but not really smooth, I found the R41 to be smoother.

[MENTION=80140]davidsilva[/MENTION]

Many thanks for your reply David. :thumbup1:

My all time favorite razor is my Fatip Piccolo, which although small is quite heavy at around 72g loaded. I'm looking forward to experiencing the lighter weight of the RPL. I'm a natural "steep angler" too.

I'm wondering if this is very similar in design to the Shavecraft Tech. Considering how many people consider the Shavecraft to be the most aggressive razor on the market today that's saying something that you think it's actually more efficient. I find it very efficient but not really smooth, I found the R41 to be smoother.

To me, the ST feels a bit smoother than the R41, YMMV in effect.

I haven't measured the angles, and they may be similar. But the design is SO thin on the Rapira, the basic design is quite different. Couple pics:

proxy.php
proxy.php

[MENTION=106012]1Cal[/MENTION] - [emoji106][emoji41]

To me, the ST feels a bit smoother than the R41, YMMV in effect.

I haven't measured the angles, and they may be similar. But the design is SO thin on the Rapira, the basic design is quite different. Couple pics:

proxy.php
proxy.php

@1Cal - [emoji106][emoji41]

Thanks! The head geometry is quite different but the results seem to be similar by the sounds of it.

David ( [MENTION=83897]dabrock[/MENTION] ), the head is so simple, I bet it could be stamped and formed from metal sheet. Too bad 3D printing in metal is not quite there yet for this kind of job... Metal shop skills in HS ( not taught where I grew up ) would have proved useful:001_smile.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's shave...

It's a very efficient razor, but a bit on the aggressive side
I think it looks a lot better with a metal handle, I salvaged the handle I use on mine from a Boctok (Cheap and useless Chinese made product repackaged for the Russian market) 3-piece razor
The extra weight, better grip and overall appearance are a big improvement over the black plastic handle
$20160704_121323.jpgView attachment 685024

I agree the Rapira PL deserves a good handle.

Took delivery of the new metal handled version this morning - I wonder if someone at Rapira is reading this thread because it's billed as "Same aggressive shave" [emoji3]
proxy.php

This new handle is very long but still feels a bit unsubstantial and it bumps the weight up to 60g
proxy.php

To be honest for me the Rapira PL is best with a nice heavy handle - ha ha now I've got 3!
What a razor!!

I agree the Rapira PL deserves a good handle.

Took delivery of the new metal handled version this morning - I wonder if someone at Rapira is reading this thread because it's billed as "Same aggressive shave" [emoji3]
proxy.php

This new handle is very long but still feels a bit unsubstantial and it bumps the weight up to 60g
proxy.php

To be honest for me the Rapira PL is best with a nice heavy handle - ha ha now I've got 3!
What a razor!!

Looks very nice with the metal handle. I have used a few brass and SS handles with it and the heavier weight helps.

$X.jpg
I've had my first shave with the Rapira Platinum Lux, and must say I like it a lot. :thumbup1:

It effortlessly mowed down three days growth and gave me a very nice BBS shave (even closer than I get with my Piccolo!). I didn't mind the light weight at all (29.2g loaded). The only thing I didn't like was the 4" handle length; the handle got in the way a few times due to its excessive length. I will shave a few more times with the handle as is, but I suspect I'll end up sawing an inch off the end of the handle to make it more maneuverable. For me the lightweight handle is perfect for the razor; I don't intend replacing it with anything heavy.

Here's a business profile:
$Y.jpg
I was impressed by the printing on the Rapira blade. It's the nicest printing I've seen on any blade (in my short experience). Initially, I intend to do three shaves on this blade, then revert to a new Feather to see if that makes any difference to the shave.

Here's an old "business profile" pic of my beloved (Mk1) Fatip Piccolo (as a geometry comparison):
$PiccoloCapWidth+Blade_2016-04-20.jpg

RPL Razor — Shave #2

Today's shave was on one days growth (vs. three for shave #1).

Wow! :w00t: I thought the first shave (yesterday) was close, but this was even closer! Maybe this is typical of the RPL blade... it's the first time I've used one, does anyone know if this is the case? I guess all the work the blade did yesterday could have simulated honing and stropping it.
[MENTION=67066]mjclark[/MENTION]
Marcus, I now understand what you meant about your face feeling like smooth rubber. It takes BBS to a whole new level. Perhaps we need to make up a list of categories within BBS.
What do you think? :blink:

I can only say I'm looking forward to shave #3 (which should be on Friday). :biggrin1:

RPL Razor — Shave #2

[MENTION=67066]mjclark[/MENTION]
Marcus, I now understand what you meant about your face feeling like smooth rubber. It takes BBS to a whole new level. Perhaps we need to make up a list of categories within BBS.
:
Yes I agree I've seen Billy use the term "dolphin smooth" for injector BBS.
R41 BBS is waxy
Shavecraft Tech BBS is marble
Rapira PL BBS is rubber...

...and just to say it again, what a razor!! [emoji3]

RPL Razor — Shave #2

Today's shave was on one days growth (vs. three for shave #1).

Wow! :w00t: I thought the first shave (yesterday) was close, but this was even closer! Maybe this is typical of the RPL blade... it's the first time I've used one, does anyone know if this is the case? I guess all the work the blade did yesterday could have simulated honing and stropping it.
@mjclark

I can only say I'm looking forward to shave #3 (which should be on Friday). :biggrin1:

I find that the RPL blade is a little harsh on the first shave but smooths out nicely after that. The rubbery face feel seems to be due to a combination of blade and razor IME.

I find that the RPL blade is a little harsh on the first shave but smooths out nicely after that. The rubbery face feel seems to be due to a combination of blade and razor IME.

I guess the RPL blade would be a good candidate for initial corking then? I've never corked a blade (too lazy), so I don't know.

I guess the RPL blade would be a good candidate for initial corking then? I've never corked a blade (too lazy), so I don't know.

It's not really necessary for the RPL it just seems to be less smooth than some other blades for the first shave but it's not bad either. My personal opinion is that if you feel the need to cork a blade than you should find another but the RPL is a very good blade for me.

RPL Razor — Shave #3

Today's shave was on two days growth (vs. three days for shave #1 and one day for shave #2).

Once again, really really close. I'm getting to love this cheap little razor. The handle length that bothered me on the first shave is fine now, in fact I didn't even notice it this time. To me, not noticing the handle means that the razor is perfectly balanced. I think its overall light weight is perfect too.

I normally keep blades in for a fairly long time. But to get a good comparison I've taken the RPL Blade out and loaded a new Feather to see if there's any noticeable difference. My first shave with the Feather should be tomorrow:
$RPL-Feather-Profile.jpg

And here's the complete hardware and software for tomorrow's shave:
$RPL+Feather-ShaveXX.jpg

I'll report back on how I find it with the Feather Blade vs. the original RPL Blade. :biggrin1:

Please excuse the smartphone pics. :blushing:

Top Bottom