What's new

Rapira Platinum Lux - the Razor not the Blade

On the left if you click on the link is my pastic handled (vertical lined) Platinum Lux, on the right my metal-handled Swedish Super Steel. I hope you can see the blade gap difference. The top caps are identical so far as I can see, but the base plate on the Platinum Lux (aside from the masssive blade gap) has slightly wider drainage slots (front:back), although identical width (side:side).
Now this is really helpful! And interesting. I'll be getting the lined plastic handle for sure then (with shave reports to follow of course.)

The only mystery that remains now is whether the metal-handled Supersteel is different from the metal-handled Platinum Lux, and whether the heads on the two plastic-handled variants differ from one another.

Luckily finding all of this out shouldn't break the bank, should anyone feel up to it. :lol:

RAPIRA and GILLETTE Rubie (3).
DSCN4467.JPG

Whatever happened to the Yingjili 3-piece, which is the identical razor to the RPL? Used to be all over Ebay for 2 US dollars and was perhaps the best deal in shaving.

I bought this razor (black plastic handle) for a few Euros.
I was about to throw it in the bin before even using it, because of its look and feel.
First impression: horrific!

But Holy President, first shave was one of the best I ever had (used the blade that came with it).

This thing is absolutely weird! I am worried.

Greetings. We have this razor for 1.2 Euro. She gives a very close shave. You can't shave her every day, it gets irritated. For me, the blades that came with the razor were very low and I couldn't shave them with this razor. I prefer to use more aggressive blades. Best regards, Eugene.

I was wondering to buy a King C. Gillette razor or a more luxury model like a Muhle or a Rockwell 6S... Nah! I will buy Rapira Platinum Lux safety razors in a quantity to last my rest of life! Great shaves that I never made in my life! Credits to the Rapira PL blade working with it!

Greetings. We have this razor for 1.2 Euro. She gives a very close shave. You can't shave her every day, it gets irritated. For me, the blades that came with the razor were very low and I couldn't shave them with this razor. I prefer to use more aggressive blades. Best regards, Eugene.
I personally enjoy the Rapira Platinum Lux blades very much. Have yet to try this razor with other blades I have.

However, for me, even with my rough whiskers, this razor/blade combo is extremely efficient.
After one pass, it does what many other razors do after three passes.

To date, I have found 4 variants of the RPL, do these possibly shave different from one another?

There is:

1.) The plastic-handled version with lines running down the handle
View attachment 1103638

2.) The plastic-handled version with a ribbed handle
View attachment 1103639

3.) The metal-handled version that comes with Platinum Lux blades
View attachment 1103640

4.) The metal-handled version that comes with Swedish Supersteel blades
View attachment 1103641
are they all the same heads just different handles?

is it really aggressive?

as i dont want to get something thats not aggressive tbh

are they all the same heads just different handles?

is it really aggressive?

as i dont want to get something thats not aggressive tbh
There's plenty of testaments starting from the very first page of the thread.
Worth reading through. ;-)

But yes, it's an aggressive razor.

Reactions: saj
I have the Rapira Supersteel version of it, I think it's the same head but with a heavier chrome handle. Still not go around to trying it out yet, but I assume it will perform similarly.

1631183533577.png

Reactions: saj
I have the Rapira Supersteel version of it, I think it's the same head but with a heavier chrome handle. Still not go around to trying it out yet, but I assume it will perform similarly.

View attachment 1325241
How much you pick it up for?

Seen them on ebay UK but seems like the one you've got the chrome handle is like double the price compared to the black plastic one, not sure if it's worth paying double the amount if it's the same head

Please let us know how it goes as I love aggressive razors 🪒

How much you pick it up for?

Seen them on ebay UK but seems like the one you've got the chrome handle is like double the price compared to the black plastic one, not sure if it's worth paying double the amount if it's the same head

Please let us know how it goes as I love aggressive razors 🪒

I picked it up for £7.88 through Razor Blades Club, bit of a spur of the moment purchase while ordering blades! The plastic handle version is £7.00 so there wasn't much difference in costs.

Will do, I'm planning on trying out all of my Rapira blades in it soon (although probably after I've tried them in one of my go to razors)

Top Bottom