What's new

Rapira Platinum Lux Razor: First Shave Review

How does it compare to famous German made Merkur 34C ?

Off topic. By the way how much does Merkur 34C cost in Germany?

Well, I don't have a 34C, I have a 33C, which as I understand has the same head, but is a 3 piece (the 34C is a two piece) and is quite a bit lighter.
In terms of the comparison, I can only base it off of the one shave I've had thus far with the RPL, but the RPL is way more aggressive, and a lot lighter. The 33C, while mild, is still a great razor, and the finish on mine is great. So the 33C is likely to last longer than the RPL, but they're about equally smooth with the RPL being more aggressive.
The 34C costs ~35€ here, while the 33C costs ~25-26€.

UPDATE:

Second use of the RPL razor was this morning. Used a 5th use Wilkinson Sword blade and Palmolive cream (again, not my top performing soap, but one that I know the exact performance of, so a good control).

The shave was quite nice again, no nicks, weepers, or irritation. The blade was definitely duller than before though, as I felt some resistance in my submandibular triangle (think where a double chin would be), which is where my hair is the toughest and grows almost parallel to the skin.

The razor itself did quite well though, and Wednesday we shall see how it performs with a brand new Gillette Platinum blade. Probably will use Tabac for the soap, but I've got 2 days to figure that out. :D

Last edited:
Thanks for continuing to post your results. Though I didn't do particularly well with this razor, there are threads here on B&B attesting to the fact that you are by no means alone in getting good results. Many fellas reported great results, which is what motivated me to purchase mine and what motivates me now to pass it along.

sodmon11.jpg
shaved with my Rapira razor today with an Astra SP blade, it's great for 2 to 3 days weekend growth.

Update:

This morning had a shave with the RPL razor with a brand new Gillette Platinum blade, using the almighty Tabac as the soap.

The issue I had with the final use of the last blade of a bit of resistance in my submandibular triangle was completely gone. This blade was like a hot knife through butter on my face, and I had a very comfortable, BBS shave. No cuts, nicks, or irritation, but I did have one very small weeper in my mustache area, which alum cleared up immediately. I would attribute the weeper more to it being a brand new blade than it being a problem with the razor though, as I do tend to get the odd weeper in my mustache area when I use new blades.

So, having used an old blade and a new blade, with three soaps I am very familiar with, I can now officially say that I really, really enjoy this razor. Even despite the flaw in the top cap, the shaves have been absolutely consistently excellent. Of course, depending on QC, or lack thereof, YMMV if you get one, but if yours works anything like mine, you're in for a treat, and an absolute bargain at the price you can get it for.

Thanks for the reviews. This razor has received a lot of love in this community, extremely disproportionate to its cost. Still, it had been a while. This thread will probably drive a bit of renewed interest in this razor and leaves me feeling good about making it my donation to the PIF box that's going around.

Thanks for the reviews. This razor has received a lot of love in this community, extremely disproportionate to its cost. Still, it had been a while. This thread will probably drive a bit of renewed interest in this razor and leaves me feeling good about making it my donation to the PIF box that's going around.

Honestly you should feel good about putting anything in a PIF box, it's very generous of you, and everyone in the community appreciates it!

Honestly you should feel good about putting anything in a PIF box, it's very generous of you, and everyone in the community appreciates it!
Thanks but it's "Take a razor; give a razor." Have been thinking of maybe putting in two, just for the heck of it. Maybe throw in my Fendrihan Mark I along with the Rapira.

I use mine with a cheap Zamak handle from a Barbasol clone. The handle looks industrial enough, and is one of my favorite handles because it's grippy and hollow (I don't like heavy handles). BTW there are two distinct heads for the RPL razor.
proxy.php

After shaving about two weeks with the Yintal Bronze and getting consistently irritating, bad shaves with it (except with the very first shave with it, which was actually decent), I came back to the RPL to give my face a rest from the Yintal irritation. Wow, it's amazing the difference between a comfortable and uncomfortable shave. I got a completely comfortable, BBS, irritation free shave with the RPL this morning.

Used Proraso Cypress and Vetyver and a 4th use Astra SP. Perfection, pure and simple. Who would've guessed that of all the razors I now have, only one of which was cheaper than the RPL, that this razor would be my go to when I need a fantastic shave?

After shaving about two weeks with the Yintal Bronze and getting consistently irritating, bad shaves with it (except with the very first shave with it, which was actually decent), I came back to the RPL to give my face a rest from the Yintal irritation. Wow, it's amazing the difference between a comfortable and uncomfortable shave. I got a completely comfortable, BBS, irritation free shave with the RPL this morning.

Used Proraso Cypress and Vetyver and a 4th use Astra SP. Perfection, pure and simple. Who would've guessed that of all the razors I now have, only one of which was cheaper than the RPL, that this razor would be my go to when I need a fantastic shave?
It seems many guys have really good luck with the cheap stamped pot-metal Rapira. That's why I bought one. Never worked for me. Gave it lots of chances but no luck so I finally PIFed it away, hoping someone else finds it to be what it is for you.

It seems many guys have really good luck with the cheap stamped pot-metal Rapira. That's why I bought one. Never worked for me. Gave it lots of chances but no luck so I finally PIFed it away, hoping someone else finds it to be what it is for you.
That's why shaving is a YMMV thing and why it's so fun for us to discover what works for us!

Just to update, even though I've got some other razors I'd like to use again, I've stuck with the RPL exclusively for the last several weeks because every single shave has been flawless. I'd like some variety, but it's like the old football adage "never change a winning side". Sure, it's ugly and cheap (ie, it's not a Galactico by any stretch of the imagination), but we've got to remember that Leicester City got Riyad Mahrez for €500k, but who now has a market value of €60mil. I'll probably just stick with it until after my parents come to visit me this week, because why risk having shaving irritation while they're here when I can ENSURE I get a perfect shave with the RPL?

This is safety razor manufactured in Moscow at MTLM (MosTochLegMash). Is a modified copy of the razors of the series "Sport". And so, the hero of the review was the Rapira Platinum Lux razorI purchased on the market at a price of 120 rubles in 2015.
Three-part razor: guard, cover and handle. Also included was a bundle of Rapira Platinum Lux blades.
On the lid and garda razor metal, plastic handle. The handle also has a metal insert. The safety razor is made from the 90s of the 20th century. The design of the razor is brazenly copied from the safety razor Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus. The coating of the razor leaves much to be desired. (There is a burr and not uniformly applied.)
I got the most comfortable grip on the handle just by taking it by the tip.
In shaving, this razor proved to be quite aggressive. Identified several minuses:
1. The razor is very demanding to the angle of inclination. (If you can not stand it, you can cut yourself badly)
2.Takzhe my razor has a garda curve. In one position, it shaves tolerably, but if it is installed by the other side, the beating turns into anguish.
3. Native pen turned out to be the main miscalculation of designers. Replaced it with aluminum from the razor Saiver and got a more comfortable shave.
The blades were shaved comfortably and cleanly in it: Chinese and original Dorco ST - 300, Derby Extra, Rapira Platinum Lux, Neva.
For shaving with a review hero, it is better to use soap or cream with good foaming and gliding. (For example, Proraso, Cleona Man Character, Tabac Original, Fenomeno Geronimo)
Well safety razor recommended when shaving 3-5-day bristles. The quality of shaving with this razor is above all praise. (BBS in 3 passes) I recommend this razor for use to owners of thick bristles of the “wire” type.

Last edited:
Top Bottom