What's new

Ranking: The top 5 best shaving safety razors.

Weck Med Prep SE
Ever-Ready Streamline
Gillette Fatboy
Wilkinson Sticky
Cobra

Honorable Mention
Gillette ABC Old Type

In alphabetical order:

Gem 1912
Gillette 1904/05
Schick Injector Type A

These were the first, they brought shaving to the masses. They were so innovative that the designs are basicly still being made today. Almost all "modern" DE or SE razors of today and the past (excepting the Rolls, Auto-straps, etc.) are based upon, are mere improvements of these three.

Early yes but not the first if you include wedge blade safety razors from Kampfe, Ernst Scharff and others introduced from 1880 onward in the USA and Germany I have a couple of old Gem razors from about 1905 including a NEW GEM lather catcher and a Gem Zinn as well as a German Ernst Scharff patented in 1892. The NEW GEM accepts either wedge blades or Gem blades. The Gem Bar from the same pre 1910 era is another early Gem blade razor of which I have several. The very early Gem razors are excellent shavers with current Gem PTFE blades.

Timeless 68 master set
AtT SE-1
PILS
iKon DLC OSS
AS-D2
Merkur Vision 2000
AtT S1, iKon DLC slant
AtT x-1 master set
Merkur Futur (gold & lacquered)
iKon DLC OC
Mhule R41
Merkur Precision (and yes, this is the "least of these" for me)
a few extra examples, but these represent the top of the razors I've tried so far and my current preferential order. Usually I can extract effortless shaves with all these but I believe it is because I continue to refresh my skills with all of them as I can. Most important is careful and thorough face prep and never take the sharp edges for granted.

Early yes but not the first if you include wedge blade safety razors from Kampfe, Ernst Scharff and others introduced from 1880 onward in the USA and Germany I have a couple of old Gem razors from about 1905 including a NEW GEM lather catcher and a Gem Zinn as well as a German Ernst Scharff patented in 1892. The NEW GEM accepts either wedge blades or Gem blades. The Gem Bar from the same pre 1910 era is another early Gem blade razor of which I have several. The very early Gem razors are excellent shavers with current Gem PTFE blades.

Thank you for the info, I did not know the wedge design went that far back. So I should change my Gem 1912 to the first Gem to use the current GEM type blade.

My top 5 in current production in no order
Parker Varient
Merkur 37C
Pearl TTO OC
Fatip Piccolo
Phoenix Artisans Prismatic

My top 5 vintage:
Gillette NEW long comb
Gillette Super long handle
Gillette Sheraton
Gillette Red Tip
Gillette Slim

Thank you for the info, I did not know the wedge design went that far back. So I should change my Gem 1912 to the first Gem to use the current GEM type blade.

Actually I think that the Gem Junior Bar lather catcher may have been the first Gem to be modern Gem blade only.

Gem-jr-1-3.jpg

My top five, in no particular order:

Schick E2
Asylum RX
ATT SE2
Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb in antique brass
Timeless .95 open comb

My top 5 at this time in no order

Timeless .95 dual plate
Charcoal Goods Level 3 OC
Gem MMOC
Tied - Wolfman Guerrilla/ Blackland Sabre
Eveready 1914

Honorable mention to the Brass General, Gem 1912, Gem G bar and Gillette Fatboy.

Lately I have been preferring mild shavers since I am a daily shaver. My list is:
1.)Gillette Slim
2.)Schick G
3.)Merkur futur
4.)Gillette Injector razor
5.)Schick H

In no particular order:
Ever-Ready 1924
GEM GBar
GEM Junior (1912 head)
Gillette Aristocrat
Gillette Slim Adjustable

...OK, it came out alphabetical.

These are razors that I know I can use for a smooth, close, comfortable shave, with no weepers. Yes, my Gillette Old Type shaves super close, but I'm likely to draw blood. These get me almost BBS, at least a couple notches above DFS, with virtually no aftershave sting.

I haven't tried all my Schicks yet, just my E3, nor my PAL adjustable.

Top 5 in no order:

ATT SE1
RR Hawk (v1 and v2)
Colonial General (Brass or Al)
Merkur Futur
Rockwell (6 C or S)

Just missing the cut:

Mergress, Timeless 0.68, Merkur progress and Parker Variant!!

Interestingly I have 10 versions of my top 5 types all give easy BBS. I typically use the SE's daily as I get effortless 2 pass shaves with no nicks or weepers!!!

I keep saying no more !! but the SS General is too tempting - looking forward to it in September!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My top five, in order:

1. Fatip Piccolo.
2. Schick E3.
3. Gem MMOC.
4. Gillette Slim.
5. Gillette "Old" type OC.

Ranking: The top 5 best shaving safety razors. . . including -- DE, SE, and Injector razors, and including new production & vintage razors.

* - I know that I am "opening a can of worms," and that this question is a YMMV question. . . There are no right or wrong answers, I just hope that everyone will share their honest opinions as to what they consider to be "The top 5 best shaving safety razors." . . . including -- DE, SE, and Injector razors, and including new production & vintage razors.
This thread should be in Double edge or General forum to get more general views

Top Bottom