What's new

Ranking: The top 5 best shaving safety razors.

D

dangerousrazor

It is an old post but renewing this discussion will be some fun

1. Ever Ready Streamline - best razor I have ever used. In fact, at this time I use one for every shave.
2. GEM Damaskeene
3. Gillette Aristocrat #21
4. Gillette Aristocrat #16
5. GEM G-Bar

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Top 5 (at the moment)
1) GEM Damaskeene Open Comb
2) GEM Micromatic Open Comb
3) Schick E3
4) GEM Junior Bar Lather Catcher
5) Gillette Single Ring

Very honorable mentions:
1) GEM Damaskeene Closed Comb
2) Kampfe Bros Lather Catcher(s)
3) Pal (British) Injecto-Matic (purple band)
4) Gillette (British) 7 O'Clock New
5) Ikon X3 Slant

1. Ever Ready Streamline - best razor I have ever used. In fact, at this time I use one for every shave.
2. GEM Damaskeene
3. Gillette Aristocrat #21
4. Gillette Aristocrat #16
5. GEM G-Bar
Your top pick surprises me. The Streamline is certainly one of the best looking GEM-style razors ever made, and it seems like it's better made than many, but most people really don't put it near the top in terms of the actual shave it delivers.

I am fortunate enough to have one, and I think it shaves well, but for me it falls below both the MMOC and the 1912. I'd put it about even with the bullet tip, the Clog Pruf, and perhaps the Shovelhead, although the shovel head has a lot more blade feel and is a bit more aggressive.

I'm glad you love it, though. It's a handsome razor, to be sure. I haven't used mine in a while. Maybe I should fire it up for tomorrow morning's shave and see if my opinion stays the same or not.

D

dangerousrazor

Your top pick surprises me. The Streamline is certainly one of the best looking GEM-style razors ever made, and it seems like it's better made than many, but most people really don't put it near the top in terms of the actual shave it delivers.

I am fortunate enough to have one, and I think it shaves well, but for me it falls below both the MMOC and the 1912. I'd put it about even with the bullet tip, the Clog Pruf, and perhaps the Shovelhead, although the shovel head has a lot more blade feel and is a bit more aggressive.

I'm glad you love it, though. It's a handsome razor, to be sure. I haven't used mine in a while. Maybe I should fire it up for tomorrow morning's shave and see if my opinion stays the same or not.

I, too, think Streamline is one of top 5 razor. It feels somewhere between MMOC, which I find a bit harsh, and 1912, which I find less efficient. It is my favorite SE among my 10 or more Gem style SE collection.

All personal opinions my friend. Also, everyone's face/beard, stubble growth and techniques used are different. I love my Streamline....to me it is the perfect balance of smoothness and efficiency for my face.

I have tried ALL the Micromatics and with the exception of the G-Bar, I do not like them. These seem a little too rough on my face, no matter the angle I shave at, especially the MMOC. I own one, but when I do use it I make sure I take a good hour with my shave :)

The Damaskeene, my #2 on my list is wonderful. A LOT milder then the Streamline though, and I just cant dial it in under my nose for some reason!

Great "YMMV" thread.

Updating from my original post.
For me the top SE razors are:
1. GEM Damaskeene
2. GEM Jr.
3. Clog-Pruf
4. MMTOC
5. Everready 1914

For me the top DE razors are:
1. Gillette Old type
2. Gillette New type
3. Gillette 1940's Superspeed
4. British Aristocrat Jr.
5. Gillette early-war Tech (triangular slots)

All personal opinions my friend. Also, everyone's face/beard, stubble growth and techniques used are different. I love my Streamline....to me it is the perfect balance of smoothness and efficiency for my face.

I have tried ALL the Micromatics and with the exception of the G-Bar, I do not like them. These seem a little too rough on my face, no matter the angle I shave at, especially the MMOC. I own one, but when I do use it I make sure I take a good hour with my shave :)

The Damaskeene, my #2 on my list is wonderful. A LOT milder then the Streamline though, and I just cant dial it in under my nose for some reason!
Agreed that it is all personal opinion.

I hear a lot of people say that the MMOC is harsh, but to me it is just smooth and comfortable. Maybe the tolerances weren't great and they differ from razor to razor more than we think? For me, holding the head almost perfectly flat against my face produces a very smooth shaving experience.

Like I said, perhaps I'll pull out the Streamline for tomorrow's shave and report my experience here. It's been in the drawer awhile so it's overdue.

Agreed that it is all personal opinion.

I hear a lot of people say that the MMOC is harsh, but to me it is just smooth and comfortable. Maybe the tolerances weren't great and they differ from razor to razor more than we think? For me, holding the head almost perfectly flat against my face produces a very smooth shaving experience.

Like I said, perhaps I'll pull out the Streamline for tomorrow's shave and report my experience here. It's been in the drawer awhile so it's overdue.

For what its worth, I chose the G-Bar as my #5 just ahead of putting the MMOC their :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
5-9-18,Kit.Mondial.E-2.640.MdC.JPG

Schick Type E2 open to clean.

Hawk.AC.ABC.8-12-18.640.JPG

Hawk SS DLC.

I'm just doing the top two, but there are a bunch of contenders - injectors, other AC razors, R41, ATT Slant, SLOC, Gillette Old Type, other slants, Fatip Mk1, Schick Krona - making the task of picking any number of top shaving safety razors just about impossible.

Still, it's interesting and fun to try. Fun to see the lists, too, of course.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top 5 (at the moment)
1) GEM Damaskeene Open Comb
2) GEM Micromatic Open Comb
3) Schick E3
4) GEM Junior Bar Lather Catcher
5) Gillette Single Ring

Very honorable mentions:
1) GEM Damaskeene Closed Comb
2) Kampfe Bros Lather Catcher(s)
3) Pal (British) Injecto-Matic (purple band)
4) Gillette (British) 7 O'Clock New
5) Ikon X3 Slant

My friend @Flintstone65 , are you sure you intended the Gillette (British) 7 O'Clock and not the Autostrop (British) 7 O'Clock?
1913_7_OClockbyAutostropPat.27943#1.jpg

:001_tt2:

I’m down to two and have gotten rid of almost everything else:

Paradigm Artist Club SE
Colonial General SS

My top 5 in current production in no order
Parker Varient
Merkur 37C
Pearl TTO OC
Fatip Piccolo
Phoenix Artisans Prismatic

My top 5 vintage:
Gillette NEW long comb
Gillette Super long handle
Gillette Sheraton
Gillette Red Tip
Gillette Slim
not even 2 years later and my new list:
I gave up on the PAA Prismatic after rot took one of the guards.
I'll keep the Fatip, the Merkur, and the Parker and add
Rockwell Model T
Asylum Evolution

for the Vintage, I'm losing the Red Tip, and the Super and the Slim and adding
Eclipse Red Ring
Gem 1912
British Aristocrat Junior.

Top Bottom