What's new

Ranking: The top 5 best shaving safety razors.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Top Pick Right Now: ATT SE1
Second: PAA Starling V2 OC
Third: Gem MMOC
Fourth: PAA Alpha Ecliptic Bakelite Slant
Fifth: ATT G1

I have an ATT SE2 plate (bought the combo). The SE1 is the closest shave of any razor for me, bar none. I'm told the SE2 requires an even more warrior-like level of "razor-fu." I'll be interested to try it and revisit the list to see who's off the island.

O.H.

6s for ease with a Karve as a tie ish depending on soap. 1912 gem then a British made 1912, Gillette double ring is 5th, reminding me I need to pull it out for use again. Wanting to find any non aluminum general or maybe a Att to compare but not.sure if it's worth trying to beat the 1912, or get an oc head for my Karve. I messaged Karve about a SE and he said it sounded cool. Lol can always hope. Besides nothing beats my straight.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
My friend @Flintstone65 , are you sure you intended the Gillette (British) 7 O'Clock and not the Autostrop (British) 7 O'Clock?
View attachment 983091
:001_tt2:
If you are willing to part with that beauty, I will gladly try it and undoubtedly change my ranking :001_tongu. That one really is a beauty....I've got a couple of Autostrops (no Brits though), but I haven't had a chance to try either of them yet.

If you are willing to part with that beauty, I will gladly try it and undoubtedly change my ranking :001_tongu. That one really is a beauty....I've got a couple of Autostrops (no Brits though), but I haven't had a chance to try either of them yet.

Sadly it's not mine :001_unsur I've just found out that 7'O Clock was an Autostrop brand before it became Gillette's after the merge in 1930

1. Feather AS-D2
2. Ikon slant (original ikon slant design with DLC coating).
These are my only two constantly sublime shave razors.
——
Honorable mention
3. Feather artist club SS. Ok it’s not a safety razor but wow does it give a close smooth shave. If it were a true safety, it would be above the line
4. One blade. I have the first model whatever it was called.
5. Gillette 2 blade sensor. Best cart for a super quick easy comfortable shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, as promised (although it's somewhat tangential to the topic of the thread), I shaved with the Streamline this morning.

It's better than I remembered it, but to me it is still not as good as either the 1912 or the MMOC.

1) More blade feel than either, and I can definitely feel the blade "chatter" a bit in certain spots.
2) More dependent on keeping a perfect angle (MMOC likes a perfect angle, too, but it's really easy to maintain by keeping the razor almost completely flat against your face; the 1912 just stops being effective if you lose the angle but otherwise you don't pay at all).

It's so much better looking than my GEM Junior (which has the 1912 head on it), but the shave with the Junior is just so easy and so smooth. With the Streamline I feel like I have to be vigilant the whole time.

Having said all that, I got a smooth two-pass shave and it looks amazing.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Just used the BMMOC aka bumpless MMOC this AM. Blade being flat and locked in by the two side holds the blade good and tight....perhaps better than the later versions with bumps.

Ranking: The top 5 best shaving safety razors. . . including -- DE, SE, and Injector razors, and including new production & vintage razors.

* - I know that I am "opening a can of worms," and that this question is a YMMV question. . . There are no right or wrong answers, I just hope that everyone will share their honest opinions as to what they consider to be "The top 5 best shaving safety razors." . . . including -- DE, SE, and Injector razors, and including new production & vintage razors.
Hello all. I've only been doing this for about 1.5 years so I am still trying new things every day. But....in no particular order Parker Varient, Gillette Tech, Gillette Slim Adjustable, Schick Krona, Edwin Jagger.

I'm still pretty new but I'll take a crack at it. This list will probably change a week from now but these are what pop into my head right now.
  1. GEM MMOC
  2. Schick M1 Adjustable Injector
  3. Rockwell 6S
  4. Schick G4 Injector
  5. Leaf Twig

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
1) Wolfman WR1 SS SB
2) Wolfman WR2 SS SB
3) RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
4) RazoRock Lupo SS SB .95
5) RazoRock Lupo SS Dual Comb

1) Titanium Vector
2) Aluminum Colonial General
3) Weber PH
4) General v2
5) 6s / Timeless Aluminum / Futur (doesn't matter... To be fair, haven't made it past #3 in over 6 months, maybe more)

1) Wolfman WR1 SS SB
2) Wolfman WR2 SS SB
3) RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
4) RazoRock Lupo SS SB .95
5) RazoRock Lupo SS Dual Comb
I am seriously considering the Lupo Dual comb - it would be my first open comb and this seems like a good option.
Why did it make your top 5?

JCarr

I am seriously considering the Lupo Dual comb - it would be my first open comb and this seems like a good option.
Why did it make your top 5?

The Lupo is a great razor, at least, for me. It's effortless and gives a good or better shave every time I use it. The Dual Comb was a must have...both gaps, plus the .72 OC, although it was a risk, works just fine. I put all my Lupo razors on custom handles. They're just that good.

The Lupo is a great razor, at least, for me. It's effortless and gives a good or better shave every time I use it. The Dual Comb was a must have...both gaps, plus the .72 OC, although it was a risk, works just fine. I put all my Lupo razors on custom handles. They're just that good.
The price point on your top 2 versus the 3 Lupos is interesting.
I've never even heard of Wolfman razors - so I looked - wowza!
Makes me think that the Lupo might be one of the great bargains - especially for my first open comb experience.

I can't afford a custom handle, so in your opinion - which of the RR handles provide the best balance for this head?
Thanks

JCarr

The price point on your top 2 versus the 3 Lupos is interesting.
I've never even heard of Wolfman razors - so I looked - wowza!
Makes me think that the Lupo might be one of the great bargains - especially for my first open comb experience.

Exactly!

My Top Five SE Razors
1. GEM Damaskeene
2. GEM Micromatic Clog-Pruf
3. GEM Jr.
4. EverReady 1914 Model
5. GEM MMTOC

My Top Five DE Razors
1. Gillette Old type
2. Gillette NEw Type
3. Gillette Superspeed (1940's)
4. British Aristocrat Jr.