What's new

random thoughts and questions - all things shaving

hey so i wanted to create a thread where i and other memebers can ask questions without having to create a million and one threads,
especially for those minor curious questions that we may have that arent really worth making a whole thread about

anyways i just got delivered the ixon ikon slant x3, think its got the bulldog stainless steel handle,
i dont think ive ever owned a stainless steel razor so the handle felt real quality and had good weight too,
but my question is as daft as it sounds it how do you know if youve got a stainless razor?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@saj1985 you first need to decide/define what you mean by stainless steel. Stainless steel is normally considered carbon steel with the addition of chromium (and other alloying elements) with the percentage of chromium (Cr) determining if the steel is classed as stainless steel of not. Some standards define stainless steel as having a minimum of 13% Cr or more. Other standards have different minimum Cr content requirements, some down to 9% or even less.

Some think that stainless steel is non-magetic. This is false. Martensitic stainless steel is basically magetic while austenitic stainless steel is basically non-magnetic.

The only way to tell if you have stainless steel to whatever standard you have decided upon is by determining its chemical composition.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My short question is why do many modern DE blades have a double bevel? The bevel that goes to the edge(s) is more obtuse than the bevel that goes to the blade proper.

@saj1985 you first need to decide/define what you mean by stainless steel. Stainless steel is normally considered carbon steel with the addition of chromium (and other alloying elements) with the percentage of chromium (Cr) determining if the steel is classed as stainless steel of not. Some standards define stainless steel as having a minimum of 13% Cr or more. Other standards have different minimum Cr content requirements, some down to 9% or even less.

Some think that stainless steel is non-magetic. This is false. Martensitic stainless steel is basically magetic while austenitic stainless steel is basically non-magnetic.

The only way to tell if you have stainless steel to whatever standard you have decided upon is by determining its chemical composition.
woah you got a bit too advanced for me with that answer hahaha

what i mean is that is there anyway of telling just by the touch, feel and weight of it?

My short question is why do many modern DE blades have a double bevel? The bevel that goes to the edge(s) is more obtuse than the bevel that goes to the blade proper.
no idea but interested to see the answer to his interesting question

so this is something ive been observing for the last 5-10 shaves and i wanted to ask, which sense do you the most when shaving?

ive noticed after observing myself i use the sense of sound the most, then touch and then sight i'd say

like for example i only ever look at the mirror is when im going ATG at the top or sides of the head but most the time i dont even have my glasses or lenses on and i just listen out for the sound of the hair being shaved off

btw the sound of the hair been shaved off is music to my ears, very theraputic indeed

so this is something ive been observing for the last 5-10 shaves and i wanted to ask, which sense do you the most when shaving?

ive noticed after observing myself i use the sense of sound the most, then touch and then sight i'd say

like for example i only ever look at the mirror is when im going ATG at the top or sides of the head but most the time i dont even have my glasses or lenses on and i just listen out for the sound of the hair being shaved off

btw the sound of the hair been shaved off is music to my ears, very theraputic indeed
I’m going to say touch followed very closely by sight. If I closed my eyes I could still shave but it wouldn’t be a clean, even shave.

Ikon heads are made from very high quality aluminum, if I’m not mistaken.
yea i assumed the head was aluminium as it feels light but the handle which i think is the stainless steel bulldog ikon handle is lovely

anyone used those old bakelite nymph razors? are they any good? always see them on ebay uk
No but did you know that Merkur made a Bakelite razor (red and black) that looks amazing? I definitely want to try one someday.

1632748374549.jpeg

No but did you know that Merkur made a Bakelite razor (red and black) that looks amazing? I definitely want to try one someday.

View attachment 1335225
that actually looks sick bro, whats the name of it do you know?

btw have you ever tried a bakelite razor?

i've not tried one but i wouldve thought they'd still be a hit as loads of wet shavers i noticed like lighter weight razors due to many reasons like wrist pains etc

that actually looks sick bro, whats the name of it do you know?

btw have you ever tried a bakelite razor?

i've not tried one but i wouldve thought they'd still be a hit as loads of wet shavers i noticed like lighter weight razors due to many reasons like wrist pains etc
It is called the Merkur 45 Bakelite Safety Razor Travel Set and sold for $32. They aren’t making it anymore so it’s unobtanium.

Top Bottom