What's new

random thoughts and questions - all things shaving

I think I paid $25-$30 for it new about 7 years ago. I have no idea what they are selling for- I hadn't given the razor a thought in years till I saw the photo in this thread. I picked $950 as my price just to be silly or stupid.
bargain you got mate, did you think anything of it when you got it or did you know what you were buying?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
bargain you got mate, did you think anything of it when you got it or did you know what you were buying?
It was a regular production model. I thought a bakelite razor might be interesting, but as I said, I've still never used it. I didn't buy it as an investment, no.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The X3 head was available for $25usd earlier this year. With the steel handle, it was undoubtedly more.

It’s a mild razor, but I cram a Bic Chrome Platinum in it and it likes my stubble fine. Would not shave two months of growth off my head (I tried…), but the wiry hairs in the front of the neck and downy ones on the nape were no match for it.

Can’t wait to read if you’re a fan or if you’ve ground it’s head into dust for high-temperature welding.

The X3 head was available for $25usd earlier this year. With the steel handle, it was undoubtedly more.

It’s a mild razor, but I cram a Bic Chrome Platinum in it and it likes my stubble fine. Would not shave two months of growth off my head (I tried…), but the wiry hairs in the front of the neck and downy ones on the nape were no match for it.

Can’t wait to read if you’re a fan or if you’ve ground it’s head into dust for high-temperature welding.
yea will post feedback after i've tried it out :)

hey so i wanted to create a thread where i and other memebers can ask questions without having to create a million and one threads,
especially for those minor curious questions that we may have that arent really worth making a whole thread about

anyways i just got delivered the ixon ikon slant x3, think its got the bulldog stainless steel handle,
i dont think ive ever owned a stainless steel razor so the handle felt real quality and had good weight too,
but my question is as daft as it sounds it how do you know if youve got a stainless razor?
I would imagine the Archimedes bathtub (water displacement) method would work. Of course, that would also require you to have the same amount of stainless steel by weight.

anyone tried the de blade hack on an injector razor before?

Seen the YouTuber subie shaves did it on a recent vid

defo going to try this for my next head shave, just not sure which blade to try out in the injector razor

The variety of individual experiences never ceases to amaze me; the iKon X3 liked your stubble but hated mine. Why?

Don’t you sometimes wish there were such a thing as a facial scan that could give a shave-day “beard score”, taking into account the length, thickness, coarseness, density, and distribution of facial hair? We could then be scientific about why our experience vary: eg your shave-day score was 22, mine was 38… the iKon’s X3, with a standard 3-pass shave, rated for scores between 10-30.

anyone tried the de blade hack on an injector razor before?

Seen the YouTuber subie shaves did it on a recent vid

defo going to try this for my next head shave, just not sure which blade to try out in the injector razor
I’m not sure you’d need a shim in an injector (or artist club or GEM for that matter) because the blades are much more rigid than a DE blade. That is, unless I’m mistaking the reason for a shim in the first place.

I cannot decide between the Goodwill and the Single Ring. At the moment the Goodwill takes it, one of my top five all time razors.
I'm not totally clued up on the gillette range tbh but is the goodwill the new long comb gillette de razor and the single ring the old type?

What's the other razors in your top five?

I love the Merkur 45 design, but was never keen on the light weight. It sits unused in my drawer. The Razorock BBS takes the 45's design and puts it in stainless steel and it's a fine shave for me. Differentiating stainless steel from other metals, without knowing chemical composition, is something I can generally tell by weight and texture. A zamak head, stainless, aluminum, and brass all have very different feels.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I'm not totally clued up on the gillette range tbh but is the goodwill the new long comb gillette de razor and the single ring the old type?

What's the other razors in your top five?
I am no expert but the Goodwill seems to be its own type and can be seen here: mr-razor Goodwill - https://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Goodwill/Goodwill.htm
The single ring is an 'old type' and can be seen here: mr-razor Old Type - https://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old%20Type/Old%20Type.htm

The others in my current top five are the Rotbart Mond Extra 5031, the Eclipse Red Ring, and the Gibbs #14 +/-

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
the iKon X3 liked your stubble but hated mine. Why?

I only used Bic blades, nigh-to-actually runny lathers, kept the cap on my skin, and only made ATG passes.

Don’t you sometimes wish there were such a thing as a facial scan that could give a shave-day “beard score”, taking into account the length, thickness, coarseness, density, and distribution of facial hair?

That might take a lot of guesswork out of the equation. Thinking about all the involved variables makes my head spin.

Top Bottom