What's new

RAD - My wife thinks I'm an idiot

Something went terribly wrong last night. I don't know if I had some sort of breakdown or was temporarily possessed, but I bought an eclipse red ring last night. I broke the news to my wife and all was going great until she inquired about the cost. While it was maybe half of what other red rings have been going for, her jaw dropped and she called me an idiot. I tried to convince her I was worth it, but that went over even worse than the news of my new acquisition. Like a fool I went on the defensive and mentioned something about her recent obsession with leggings and the hundred or so pair she's purchased over the past year. Let's just say I learned how to sleep with one eye open at all times. So, for now I'm on double-secret probation. I just had to get this off my chest as most of my friends and family don't understand my relatively new hobby.

More than one of us have made the ‘uh oh” purchase and trembled at the thought of our brides discovering the level of our obsession...err...interest in cool old shaving gear.

Love of the lady of the house, spoil her a bit and reaffirm your appreciation for her and it should get sorted. Generally, being up front before the purchase our best bet.

Good luck and keep an eye open.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Like a fool I went on the defensive and mentioned something about her recent obsession with leggings and the hundred or so pair she's purchased over the past year.

You might mention to her that she can buy them on aliexpress very inexpensively. A friend of mine orders hers from there and then resells many she does buy. Some shes paid $7CAD for and resold for $45 or more!

Or better yet, buy some for her ;)

All okay, I've noticed similar experiences on the bay..safe to say many here probably understand & relate.:a22:

Depends on finances.. one could question the dozens of shoes, purses & make up they tend to acquire but a simple.."too bad" would do.

Confidence..smooth.. maybe run, probably why I'm not married! :lol:

Just don't turn into Gollum if she wants to inspect..touch and or use it.

Two possibilities come to mind:

Do you think the marital atmosphere might improve if you let her shave her legs with it?

Tell her the red paint is a special red paint that is very expensive!

Ok. So here's what I think about all this. She is right and wrong. Try and control your RAD. Make a rule that for every 2 or 3 that you buy you have to sell one. And, if push comes to shove is your hobby worth bad feelings with your wife? Probably not. You need her respect. On the other hand, I have one of the nicest collections of Gillette Adjustable razors around. I am divorced. If I was married and having to look over my shoulder every time I made a purchase, there is no way I could have built the collection that I have. Look at Mr-Razor and his GREAT collection! Sometimes to achieve greatness in an endeavor, you must have single minded purpose.

In our house it works like this...
We have settled on an amount coming from my pay going towards household bills. Any $$ above my "base contribution" (let's call it), from overtime or bonuses gets split 3 ways (hers, mine, extra towards retirement). Any $$ birthday, Christmas, etc. I receive is mine to basically do with as I please. My wife is pretty reasonable, asking only that if I buy more, I get rid of something else (more or less). This system of mandatory thinning, helps keep me focused on purchasing items I really want, rather that "hey, it'd be neat to have that".

You may not be looking for an answer to this issue, and I appreciate your willingness to share your relationship concern. I've been fortunate not to have had this particular conversation because of something my wife and I decided years ago: we each get X number of dollars per month to spend on ourselves without question. Regardless of the sum you might decide on, it solves the issue of having to answer for your spending, and it helps keep in check your desire for new acquisitions. Cheers to you for being forthright with her! Happy shaving, brother!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I have been slowly getting my wife interested in wetshaving for her legs. I make a lather for her from some of my best soaps. She has actually requested that I buy more soaps for her. She loves my Omega 48. She talked ME into getting an R89 in rose gold because she liked the look of it. I get away with my various acquisition disorders this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More than one of us have made the ‘uh oh” purchase and trembled at the thought of our brides discovering the level of our obsession...err...interest in cool old shaving gear.

Love of the lady of the house, spoil her a bit and reaffirm your appreciation for her and it should get sorted. Generally, being up front before the purchase our best bet.

Good luck and keep an eye open.
Wise words.

Sent via Tapatalk

Two possibilities come to mind:

Do you think the marital atmosphere might improve if you let her shave her legs with it?

Tell her the red paint is a special red paint that is very expensive!

She shaved her legs with one of disposables and didn't tell me. It was like rubbing my face with 100 grit.

I keep most everything not in my daily rotation hidden, but she is definitely onto me. If and when she ever catches on to just how much money I've spent!... I plan to tell the truth, which is yes, I have a problem. BUT it's under control, and the money I've spent (amount will remain undisclosed) all came from a small chunk of coin I set aside for personal fun purposes and thus does not infringe upon our household budget needs. Sound convincing (I hope)????

Top Bottom