What's new

R41/SLOC review: Topcaps matter!

This an interesting idea. My R41 gets very little use because of how much it tugs. I also have an SLOC gathering dust somewhere. I'm going to have to try this. :)

Another Yaqi Mellon topcap/R41 user here.

I use a Mellon topcap also on my Fatip OC. An added benefit with doing this on a Fatip is the workaround this gives us for that anomalous thread dimension on Fatip heads and handles. I can now use any regular handle I want to.

For anyone who likes the Mellon or SLOC topcap/R41 combination, I suggest giving the the Yaqi slant a try. I used the R41/Mellon topcap combination as my main razor for a few years, but since getting the Yaqi slant, the R41 gets used only a few times a month. The slant is that good.

Another Yaqi Mellon topcap/R41 user here.

I use a Mellon topcap also on my Fatip OC. An added benefit with doing this on a Fatip is the workaround this gives us for that anomalous thread dimension on Fatip heads and handles. I can now use any regular handle I want to.

For anyone who likes the Mellon or SLOC topcap/R41 combination, I suggest giving the the Yaqi slant a try. I used the R41/Mellon topcap combination as my main razor for a few years, but since getting the Yaqi slant, the R41 gets used only a few times a month. The slant is that good.
HI any chance you could post a pic of the Mellon. I do have 3 Yaqi heads, one is slow and 2 more but not sure if Mellon. Is the Mellon like Sloc but maybe rakes/teeth a bit shorter?
I did use the Fatip OC w a Merkur top (I was away and had the Fatip w a pencil handle that I hated) so I was able to use a normal handle w the M top and actually I think the shave was better..... Haven tried Sloc top yet....now you are tempting me to try it tonight.

HI any chance you could post a pic of the Mellon. I do have 3 Yaqi heads, one is slow and 2 more but not sure if Mellon. Is the Mellon like Sloc but maybe rakes/teeth a bit shorter?
I did use the Fatip OC w a Merkur top (I was away and had the Fatip w a pencil handle that I hated) so I was able to use a normal handle w the M top and actually I think the shave was better..... Haven tried Sloc top yet....now you are tempting me to try it tonight.

I'd be happy to do that, but you'll get a better image of the Mellon head at the Yaqi site (on Aliexpress). And yes, it's the open comb head (like SLOC). I don't know what the width of the SLOC topcap is, but the Yaqi is 18.5mm. This is narrower than most presently-made topcaps, which, as far as I can figure, is probably the main reason for the increased efficiency/aggressiveness after swapping it for the stock topcap. It moves the 2013 R41 in the direction of the 2011, just as it moves the Fatip Mk II in the direction of the Fatip Mk I. Both the 2011 and Mk I have significantly narrower topcaps than their present day versions.

I'd be happy to do that, but you'll get a better image of the Mellon head at the Yaqi site (on Aliexpress). And yes, it's the open comb head (like SLOC). I don't know what the width of the SLOC topcap is, but the Yaqi is 18.5mm. This is narrower than most presently-made topcaps, which, as far as I can figure, is probably the main reason for the increased efficiency/aggressiveness after swapping it for the stock topcap. It moves the 2013 R41 in the direction of the 2011, just as it moves the Fatip Mk II in the direction of the Fatip Mk I. Both the 2011 and Mk I have significantly narrower topcaps than their present day versions.
I measured and the SloC , well mine, is a bit wider.... so will try the Yaqi tonight.....first w a Fatip....

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks @Ad Astra for the excellent modification idea regarding my grail razor (R41).

Let's see...

R41 base plate ✅
Razorock SLOC top cap ✅
Ready to rumble ✅

I'll give this combo a try tomorrow!

It's been a while, but it worked well for many.

I still can't stand R41, and I like a mean razor. That one's just tuggy... Until the SLOC holds the blade flatter, I guess.

AA

I have a 2011 R41 and I didn't use it a lot because it was hard for me to get consistently good shaves with it. Sometimes it was pretty good and mostly it was brutal. I tried the SLOC top cap mod and it didn't really improve things for me. Then I tried the top cap off of a Lord razor and that is working pretty well. The Lord top cap is wider than both the R41 top cap and the SLOC top cap. It made the razor a little milder and seems to clamp the blade much better helping to prevent blade chatter. The razor is still very efficient but consistently much more comfortable.

I have a 2011 R41 and I didn't use it a lot because it was hard for me to get consistently good shaves with it. Sometimes it was pretty good and mostly it was brutal. I tried the SLOC top cap mod and it didn't really improve things for me. Then I tried the top cap off of a Lord razor and that is working pretty well. The Lord top cap is wider than both the R41 top cap and the SLOC top cap. It made the razor a little milder and seems to clamp the blade much better helping to prevent blade chatter. The razor is still very efficient but consistently much more comfortable.
I'm a 2011 R41 fan. I also own a couple of 2013 models. I've sort of tried some of the 3D printed top caps substitutions and I think they are junk given that the threads feel like they will strip as soon as I thread them. I may try some of these combinations suggested here as an alternative. I'm the rare bird trying to make the 2013 R41 more aggressive, but that's just my preference.

Should you be interested in selling your 2011 R41, please message me (I hope that isn't against any rules).

It's been a while, but it worked well for many.

I still can't stand R41, and I like a mean razor. That one's just tuggy... Until the SLOC holds the blade flatter, I guess.

AA

Gave it a try today.
Excellent shave. I'm quite impressed.

FWIW, I'm a guy who doesn't have issues with the atg pass with the standard R41 head attached, however, I always choose sharper blades for the shaves with the BEAST (say BIC Platinum Chrome, Nacet, Wilkinson Sword Germany) because this avoids unpleasant tugging...

Thanks again for the idea. I'll give this combo additional spins...:thumbsup:

After retiring last July I no longer shave as if to pass the Sargent's inspection. Just a reasonable shave, single pass. I also went back to a RazoRock Mamba which is a very mild razor.
Since my last post I acquired a vintage Grand Shave King which originally held the patent on the Double Open Comb process. As opposed to the Phoenix clone the GSK is quite mild.
The Base Plate of the GSK have slightly wider teeth and are more rounded on the corners.
This affords the GSK a smoother face feel. than the Phoenix, or the RazoRock. Certainly not as aggressive as the Mhule R41 or the GSC R41+.
The Double Open Comb concept does bring more water to the face so it is easier on the sensitive face.
A Premium Platinum coated blade is required IMO to achieve a close shave.
While some High Carbon Blades are quite sharp they do not retain their edge the same as a Premium Platinum Stainless Steel Blade. As each Beard is different so to are the results with each different blade.
The Joy of having a perfect daily ritual shave is an art form that requires practice and patience.

I almost forgot. In All my experimenting with the DOC, Mix & Match Top Cap and Bottom Plate, I ordered a Titanium Handle off eBay. As I like a longer handle 4 inches with a nominal 1/2 diameter. The reduced weight, for me makes a huge difference, as the current Razor heads in either an alloy or CNC Stainless Steel, the long yet light handle enables me to have the advantage of a Frankenstein Style razor which can weigh more than the designed head yet allow more control of the shave.
A handle which suits your hand and shaving style is an often overlooked component of the daily shave. IMO

I almost forgot. In All my experimenting with the DOC, Mix & Match Top Cap and Bottom Plate, I ordered a Titanium Handle off eBay. As I like a longer handle 4 inches with a nominal 1/2 diameter.

Interesting. I'm going to try the SLOC/R41 combo today and as it happens I've set it up with a Razorock titanium Halo handle. Curious to see how this works out.

On the whole, a damn fine shave. It's certainly the closest I've ever gotten on my trouble spots. A few weepers but I put that down to learning this combo. I thought the titanium handle might be too light, however it seemed to have just enough heft to it and a terrific balance. I will definitely revisit this at some point.

I’ve done the Mühle cap/Yaqi plate, but never the reverse until tonight. Very surprised at the bump in efficiency. WTG/ATG was almost too much.
I’ll have to pickup a SLOC when restraint permits, but I’m in the same camp as @JAHE in that I’ve never had an issue with R41 comfort using a top tier blade; even going ATG.

So much so that I keep a Frankenrazor in rotation that delivers a little more blade feel; R41 Base with R89 cap

This may help to explain my recent escapade into the SR realm - hmmm

Top Bottom