What's new

R41/SLOC review: Topcaps matter!

I totally agree Ad Astra. When I use the R41 with the Yaqi Mellon top cap it gives me the closest shave ever with minimum of passes. Therefore less irritation caused by multiple passes and extra buffing as when I use other razors despite meticulous attention to prep,' choice of blade, razor aggression etc...

Indeed this combination really deals with my resistant/tough stubble underneath my jaw, which all the many razors, including the R41 with its standard top cap, I've tried fail to achieve.

The question remains for me, which I've asked before on the Forum, is that, if I buy a Blackbird, with its 'glass-like' shave reputation, give me an equal or better shave underneath my jaw as the R41 with the double rake top cap?

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I totally agree Ad Astra. When I use the R41 with the Yaqi Mellon top cap it gives me the closest shave ever with minimum of passes. Therefore less irritation caused by multiple passes and extra buffing as when I use other razors despite meticulous attention to prep,' choice of blade, razor aggression etc...

Indeed this combination really deals with my resistant/tough stubble underneath my jaw, which all the many razors, including the R41 with its standard top cap, I've tried fail to achieve.

The question remains for me, which I've asked before on the Forum, is that, if I buy a Blackbird, with its 'glass-like' shave reputation, give me an equal or better shave underneath my jaw as the R41 with the double rake top cap?

It really is interesting, isnt it? :a14:

I would have bet, any day, that the baseplate determines the shave ... Clearly not so! (More study on this is needed for me on Gillette Tech, NEW SC etc topcap combos).

Don't have a Blackbird, so can't help with your question.

I DO have a Timeless, and other topcaps don't fit! Which is true with a bunch ... holes don't align, posts too deep/wide etc.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Nitpick: The 2013 (current model) is LESS aggressive. The 2011 model is the Beast.

ah, OK! Thanks! :thumbup1:

Wasn't sure. Glad I do NOT have that one, as the current iteration is "enough."

Another shave in just now, and "close" is the word, as in "glass-smooth close."

Finally a couple almost-weepers, a clear sign I'm dropping my guard and shaving carelessly. Yeah, a little Speick balm helps ...

Thought the SLOC topcap helps (a lot!), it's still the meanest modern razor in the stable here.

Similar to an OLD with thick cap, perhaps.

AA

All right. I know R41 has many fans ... deservedly so; it occupies a place on the far-end of the shave scale. Over there with alligators, pirhanas, barracudas ...

I have dozens of razors, new and old, and R41 is one of the meanest-shaving to me.

Aggressive, yes, but I LIKE that. I shave with Thin-cap OLDS, Single-Ring and many other mean shavers.

I never could get a comfortable shave with the thing. Tuggy, to me. With blade chatter, perhaps inherent in the design. (Mine is the newer version). So.

Recently I decided to challenge my beliefs, a good thing to do periodically. (Hate Tabac? Try it again six months later. Veg reminds you of a funeral home bathroom? Revisit the Veg after attending a wake, etc.) Anyways.

I gave R41 a try last week and it did exactly what I remember: a tuggy, painful shave.

But I got an idea ...

A member here gets good shaves with R41 using the Yintal "bronze" razor's topcap. I have that cheapie razor, so gave it a try.

While a good-looking combination, it also was noisy - a sign of chatter/vibration - and, hm, it didn't work well for me.

I had a few other "heads-only purchases" lined up, and gave the Razorock Self-Lubricating Open Comb (SLOC) head a try.

It fit with a greater coverage across the top, and seemed to clamp well - a prerequisite for any combo working well.

full

Now. I'm not an engineer (though there are plenty here) and in general, don't want to mess with combinations of topcap and baseplate. It's 50-50 you'll make something worse and a lot of times, they don't fit. But what the hey; take no chances have no fun.

full

It shaved SO WELL. Quiet, and another efficiency tiger. More importantly, it was the first comfortable shave I've ever gotten with the R41 baseplate.

I think it's clamping well; someone with the math skills or ability to reckon on this is welcome to weigh in.

full

I have no opinion on the combination's looks. (Dang, need a better side-photo). Can only say, the SLOC topcap is making the R41 baseplate work very well - for me. Shaved with it all week, to be sure!

Thoughts?

AA
That's a real beaut.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

After reading this entire post regarding the combing of the Muhle R41 Baseplate and the RazoRock SLOC Top Cap. I became very interested.
First I already obtained the PAA DOC razor and enjoyed my shaves with it, except the Open Comb like all other Open Combs has a tendency to scratch my skin.
I obtained the RazoRock SLOC and it does indeed provide a better shave however while it scratches my skin less than other Open Comb razors it still has the feeling of scratching.
Then I read about the combination of the Muhle R41 Bottom Plate with the RazoRock SLOC Top Cap.
I obtained the Muhle R41 razor.
I shaved with the Muhle R41 razor as reported elsewhere it provides a very harsh shave on my face.
I again read about combining the Muhle R41 Bottom Plate with the RazoRock SLOC Top Cap, with fear and trepidation I configured the components and prepared for a brutal shave, that did not happen.
I was pleasantly surprised with the resulting shave.
First, This combination provides the individual with an auditory feedback second to none. I suggest to those who try this combination to use the auditory feedback to the fullest to achieve a great shave.
Second, utilize as light a pressure as you can maintain. Let the weight of the razor and the audible feedback guide your shave.
Third, with this combination I use very short strokes, WTG, going over the same area until the blade sound ceases. NOTE this is contrary to every Safety Razor instruction, I have ever read. Also note I use a very wet yet thick lather. This razor does hold a good deal of wet lather in the head of the razor.
To this date this shave is the closest I have ever received using a Safety Razor.
The Muhle R41 baseplate does not scratch or even itch my skin.
The Auditory feed back provided by the blade exposure is very useful in controlling the comfort and smoothness of the shave.
For those concerned about the reputation of the Muhle R41 beast will be surprised as the RazoRock SLOC Top Cap puts a leash on the beast which you can now control by your ears (auditory feedback) and hand (light touch) to aid in the light touch I suggest keeping the razor in a cup of very hot water when non on the skin.
A hot razor is not comfortable on the face so you will tend to hold it with the slightest pressure on the face.
Thanks For Listening

Ad Astra

The Instigator
After reading this entire post regarding the combing of the Muhle R41 Baseplate and the RazoRock SLOC Top Cap. I became very interested.
First I already obtained the PAA DOC razor and enjoyed my shaves with it, except the Open Comb like all other Open Combs has a tendency to scratch my skin.
I obtained the RazoRock SLOC and it does indeed provide a better shave however while it scratches my skin less than other Open Comb razors it still has the feeling of scratching.
Then I read about the combination of the Muhle R41 Bottom Plate with the RazoRock SLOC Top Cap.
I obtained the Muhle R41 razor.
I shaved with the Muhle R41 razor as reported elsewhere it provides a very harsh shave on my face.
I again read about combining the Muhle R41 Bottom Plate with the RazoRock SLOC Top Cap, with fear and trepidation I configured the components and prepared for a brutal shave, that did not happen.
I was pleasantly surprised with the resulting shave.
First, This combination provides the individual with an auditory feedback second to none. I suggest to those who try this combination to use the auditory feedback to the fullest to achieve a great shave.
Second, utilize as light a pressure as you can maintain. Let the weight of the razor and the audible feedback guide your shave.
Third, with this combination I use very short strokes, WTG, going over the same area until the blade sound ceases. NOTE this is contrary to every Safety Razor instruction, I have ever read. Also note I use a very wet yet thick lather. This razor does hold a good deal of wet lather in the head of the razor.
To this date this shave is the closest I have ever received using a Safety Razor.
The Muhle R41 baseplate does not scratch or even itch my skin.
The Auditory feed back provided by the blade exposure is very useful in controlling the comfort and smoothness of the shave.
For those concerned about the reputation of the Muhle R41 beast will be surprised as the RazoRock SLOC Top Cap puts a leash on the beast which you can now control by your ears (auditory feedback) and hand (light touch) to aid in the light touch I suggest keeping the razor in a cup of very hot water when non on the skin.
A hot razor is not comfortable on the face so you will tend to hold it with the slightest pressure on the face.
Thanks For Listening

Well, yeah! :cornut:

That's the whole forum in a nutshell. Tips, tricks and shared knowledge making things mo' betta!

AA

384E4BEA-1CCF-4432-8CB2-D24698E3AA26.jpeg

Interesting shave. Stuck the SLOC top cap on the R41 plate and used a Maggard’s MR8 handle.

SLOC cap seems to take away a lot of the (for lack of a better word) ‘scrapiness’ that I really don’t like about the Muhle. Really smooth shave though, I mean my face is REALLY SMOOTH.

My Blackbird is the closest shave I’ve ever gotten and this is maybe an 8 out of that 10.

However, my Envoy can do this as well and do it more comfortably.

Interesting experiment tho, glad I tried it. This was pretty cool.

Thanks for the idea you guys!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I tried it the other way round: Mühle 2013-R41 cap on the Yaqi Mellon comb. It was nicer than the Yaqi Mellon by itself, but lacked the full ‘oomph’ of the unmodified Junior Beast. Shaving atg wasn’t as spoopy, either, so that was good. The combo @Ad Astra shared and others have tried looks so much cooler.

View attachment 1064153

Interesting shave. Stuck the SLOC top cap on the R41 plate and used a Maggard’s MR8 handle.

SLOC cap seems to take away a lot of the (for lack of a better word) ‘scrapiness’ that I really don’t like about the Muhle. Really smooth shave though, I mean my face is REALLY SMOOTH.

My Blackbird is the closest shave I’ve ever gotten and this is maybe an 8 out of that 10.

However, my Envoy can do this as well and do it more comfortably.

Interesting experiment tho, glad I tried it. This was pretty cool.

Thanks for the idea you guys!
I just ordered the new RazoRock SLOC 2.0 Full Milled DE Safety Razor, so I await the new version to First see how it compares to the 1st version which I have.
Second, use the SLOC version 2 Top Cap, if possible, on the Muhle R41 base plate have another go at a shave.
Here is hoping all goes well.

I just ordered the new RazoRock SLOC 2.0 Full Milled DE Safety Razor, so I await the new version to First see how it compares to the 1st version which I have.
Second, use the SLOC version 2 Top Cap, if possible, on the Muhle R41 base plate have another go at a shave.
Here is hoping all goes well.
As a note I tried, the Muhle R41 Bottom Plate with the RazoRock SLOC Top Cap, shaving WTG, XTG & ATG all with equal face feel on my part.
NOTE: I am convinced if you apply any pressure, or refuse to listen to the blade telling you how it is doing shaving your whiskers your shave will not be pleasant. This combination is not for everyone.

As a note I tried, the Muhle R41 Bottom Plate with the RazoRock SLOC Top Cap, shaving WTG, XTG & ATG all with equal face feel on my part.
NOTE: I am convinced if you apply any pressure, or refuse to listen to the blade telling you how it is doing shaving your whiskers your shave will not be pleasant. This combination is not for everyone.

Yeah I don’t really like the face feel of the R41 plate. It’s pretty poky if you use any pressure at all.

The R41 out of the gate is unusable to me. Just too much tugging; brutal shave. Ordered a Yaqi Mellon head from Aliexpress. Didn't see the SLOC head only and Yaqi was only $6 so what the heck will give it a shot!

Top Bottom