What's new

Quijote's wet shaving journey

That is because they took the picture from the wrong angle. When taken properly, it looks like this.
20180220_062734.jpg

Well, I just got back from the antique store and someone beat me too them. Oh well.....

I learned to never wait "until later" to buy something at an antique store or flea market. I was in a place about a year ago that had a Williams coffee mug/shaving mug and I since I was in a hurry, I decided to wait till later - wrong decision. :mellow:

I learned to never wait "until later" to buy something at an antique store or flea market. I was in a place about a year ago that had a Williams coffee mug/shaving mug and I since I was in a hurry, I decided to wait till later - wrong decision. :mellow:
It all worked out in the end. I ordered some software today with the money I was going to buy the razor with.

Straight Shave #21

Keen Kutter K11/Tech - Polisilver (10)
Stirling Synthetic
Shannon's Forest City Fern
Prorasso SB Cypress and Vetyver ASB

Today, I wanted to use another one of my new samples, so I grabbed the Fern. The scent of this soap in the container is nice, but not overly strong. I smashed a little in the bottom of bowl and put a few drops of water on top of it to soak in while I stropped the K 11. I went back with a mostly dry brush and started to lather. The scent just exploded, I felt like I stepped into a fern forest. It easily worked into a nice creamy, yogurty lather. It was rich and dense, very nice. I slapped it on and went to work. It wasn't as slick as some of my other soaps, but halfway through my first pass, I heard a little voice. The Fern Queen was talking to me. She told me to add a little more water. Not wanting to disobey the Queen, I did. Let me tell you, the second pass felt like I was shaving on an ice rink. There was enough residual slickness that I was having problems stretching a few spots, thus only ended up with a CCS. I thought about attempting the neck today, but figured that it would be better to do it on the weekend when I am not feeling rushed. So, I finished the second pass on my neck with the tech again. All in all, a good shave. I will alleviate the problem with the residual slickness soon. I ordered an alum block for my fingers that will come in either end of this week or beginning of the next week.

A la Mancha, I am very tired today (you can probably tell by the random ramblings in my shave recap). Because it is so hot here, I was having problems sleeping and we don't want to turn on the A/C in February, it just feels unnatural. We may have to do something tonight though, because no one is sleeping.

Very nice narative today Don. I am glad that another person likes the Shannon Fern. Both @skypsyd and @cmh737 did not like it, and that is how I ended up with that sample, and then eventually a full puck.

Yeh, the Shannon Fern didn't work for me. But I used to really like Shannon's soaps, especially the "Woodlands". Maybe I should revisit them someday soon.

Great read and shave Don!
We've had the AC on since Saturday. Strangely enough I noticed the weather was very similar at this time last year.

Very nice narative today Don. I am glad that another person likes the Shannon Fern. Both @skypsyd and @cmh737 did not like it, and that is how I ended up with that sample, and then eventually a full puck.
It is a pleasant scent, but I am not sure I would reach for it over others.
Yeh, the Shannon Fern didn't work for me. But I used to really like Shannon's soaps, especially the "Woodlands". Maybe I should revisit them someday soon.
The soap is definitely great, I am curious about the other scents they offer.
Great read and shave Don!
We've had the AC on since Saturday. Strangely enough I noticed the weather was very similar at this time last year.
Thanks.
Caught up on some awesome shaves, Don!
Thanks.
nice catch up Don Your path to shave greatness is there, LOL
The path through the fern forest? It is dark in there and I am not sure that the Fern Queen I heard is real. I am worried too much time in the forest may make me crazy.

It is a pleasant scent, but I am not sure I would reach for it over others.

The soap is definitely great, I am curious about the other scents they offer.

Thanks.

Thanks.

The path through the fern forest? It is dark in there and I am not sure that the Fern Queen I heard is real. I am worried too much time in the forest may make me crazy.
Well in Shannon's Fern Forrest I agree, that stuff is nasty, LOL You need to get the English Fern and enter Ferny Nirvana, LOL

Well in Shannon's Fern Forrest I agree, that stuff is nasty, LOL You need to get the English Fern and enter Ferny Nirvana, LOL
I wouldn't say it is nasty. And I am going nowhere that store. I know everything in there is a budget breaker.

Tech - Polisilver (11)
Smattayu Tuxedo
Saint Charles Shave Bay Rum
Barrister and Mann Bay Rum

Today, I was in a bit of rush due to over sleeping. So I rushed the shower and got the razor stropped, then saw the time. Nope, the kids have to be up and moving in 10 minutes. Grabbed the Tech and rushed through 2 passes. Surprised myself with a very nice BBS-. I couldn't really review the soap, but I could tell it will be a great performer. The scent was a little weak, but I will take it. I will do another shave with it to get a better grasp on it.

Have a great day.

Top Bottom