What's new

Quijote's wet shaving journey

That line just cracked me up. I'm thinking, "Man, if we don't have this down by 100, I guess we're loooOOOOoosers".

I envy all you guys that can cook. If it's more than 4 ingredients, I usually don't even try.
Thanks. I was picturing a cell with 1/4 hollow bars. Then all my confiscated razors just out of arms reach whole they make us shave with carts.

You could make these, the dough is only 2 ingredients. Then whatever you want to fill them with.
Nice read Don. Extra Papusas is not a bad thing. The trick is not eating them all in one sitting.
I would be in bad shape if I ate them all.

Good shave and read Don!

No sense pushing myself too hard too fast. I still have 86 shaves to get good with this thing.

Good advice to yourself and there is no limit to how many straight shaves it takes. I'm over 125 and I'm still learning.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!:302:

Good shave and read Don!

Good advice to yourself and there is no limit to how many straight shaves it takes. I'm over 125 and I'm still learning.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!:302:
Thanks. I suspect that I will always be learning.
Catching up, Don - great reads! Always happy to see someone trying Henri et Victoria C&CC - my fave!
Thanks. I will definitely be buying some of this brand. Probably this scent, but not 100% on that.

Straight Shave #15

Keen Kutter K11/Old Type - Polisilver (4)
Made Rite 1000 w/ Maggards Finest
Stirling N & S
Clubman

Today, I was supposed to switch out the old type for the tech, but I forgot to last night, and didn't want to risk waking up the LOTH to make the switch this morning. So, instead, I didn't use it at all on my face, just finished the second pass with it on my neck. But as far as the K 11 went, the first pass is starting to feel almost natural. The only awkward part is getting the hollows of my neck. It makes me glad this razor is a round point, a spike may leave a mark or 2 in those hollows. I know that I was saying that I pretty much have the direction of my second pass down, but I changed that up today. I had been starting in the middle of my cheek and going both nose-ear and ear-nose, but this time, I just did ear-nose the whole way. Other than getting blade angle right next to the Dumbo ears, this way seemed much better. Plus, I wasn't worried about slipping and becoming a van Gogh look alike. I also noticed that going this direction I have to be very attentive because the whole blade is in contact with my skin while doing it. Most other ways, it is never more than half of the blade at a time. It worked out though, and other than a slight pressure problem, I had no issues. One weeper showed up after I was done. I didn't tackle the neck yet though. After all was said and done, my face actually felt almost as good as my neck. My neck was DFS, my face ranged from DFS to CCS. Not that obtaining results is my goal at this point, but it is nice to know that I can get a decent result.

Have a great day everyone!

Straight Shave #16

Keen Kutter K11/Old Type - Polisilver (5)
Stirling Boar
Stirling N & S
Stirling Vetiver WH

So, you think you are using light pressure? I know I did. I was WRONG. On my second pass, I was having problems getting through a couple of the thicker parts. So I tried a little lighter pressure and it cut better. I was amazed how light of a pressure I could use. I am close to adding in the neck to the second pass, but not quite there yet. I just used the DE on my neck for the second pass. Good enough for today.

Quick question for you double wingers out there. Do you guys find that you use each hand evenly or do you still favor your dominant hand? I have been using them close to 50/50 on the first pass, but use the right hand about 60-70% on the other pass.

i try to use my hands equally. ATG on my neck with my offhand is improving but was frankly terrifying! Maybe get a few more shaves in before you do that? Any little finishing touches to my chin or mouth i've always just done with whatever hand happens to be holding the blade.

Improvements come in imperceptible increments; if i compare how i shave now to how i shaved last year - there's no contest. i could cut myself with a Mach3, a DE, no problem, so maybe SR shaving was not the smartest thing to do. Except that your technique improves and you don't realize it until you use a DE in a hurry and find yourself stretching your face and getting a great shave.

There are a few guys new to this that have journals and i have to say, every single one of them, including you, is taking to it a lot faster than i ever did - i think i finally had a routine of sorts and had managed to stop cutting myself (each time) by about shave #30.

T

Straight Shave #16

Keen Kutter K11/Old Type - Polisilver (5)
Stirling Boar
Stirling N & S
Stirling Vetiver WH

So, you think you are using light pressure? I know I did. I was WRONG. On my second pass, I was having problems getting through a couple of the thicker parts. So I tried a little lighter pressure and it cut better. I was amazed how light of a pressure I could use. I am close to adding in the neck to the second pass, but not quite there yet. I just used the DE on my neck for the second pass. Good enough for today.

Quick question for you double wingers out there. Do you guys find that you use each hand evenly or do you still favor your dominant hand? I have been using them close to 50/50 on the first pass, but use the right hand about 60-70% on the other pass.
nice read Dave, and thanks for the patience, I think you will see why in my journal, but my plan is Monday. As to the hands; Now I think they are even and mirrored in all ways, but for me it took to about Shave 300 for me to feel completely comfortable

Hey Don I'm one of those people who is 100% ambidextrous it was fun as an elementary kid writing with my right hand then switching to my left. Or batting left and right handed in baseball. Basically all I can say is when it comes to shaving I don't pay attention to what hand I use.

Good read and shave Don!

Being in the line of work that I am, I'm pretty ambidextrous, so I've been using both hands since I started my wet shaving adventure. If I remember correctly I read that it was best to start with using both hands just in case you ever wanted to use a straight, and while I at the time had no intentions of using a straight, the advice made sense to me.

Straight Shave #17

Keen Kutter K11/Old Type - Polisilver (6)
Stirling Synthetic
Tabac
Proraso SB Cypress and Vetyver ASB

A little late of a posting of this today. An uneventful shave when learning is a good one. I just keep working at it, getting more and more comfortable with it. I feel like I pretty much have the first pass nailed down. A couple of times during the second pass, I thought I heard the blade threatening to cut me, so I backed off a little. It was enough to prevent any seepage. I did think it was starting to feel a little dull at times, so I revisited the balsa tonight. It is passing the HHT easily.

Had a great busy weekend this weekend. Hope you all had a good one as well. Will catch up with your journals over the next couple of days.

Good reading Don. I was a switch hitter in baseball and can efficiently write with both hands. But dude I can not for the life of me shave with my left more than 30-40% of the time regardless of what razor I use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom