What's new

Quijote's wet shaving journey

Bummer about the slices Don!

That's too bad that the CFG doesn't seem to like your water. Hopefully you can get it dialed in because the scents are awesome.
Thanks guys. I hope I get it dialed in too. I do love the scents. If I can't though, I will just buy the post shave and use an unscented or lightly scented soap for the actual shave.

sorry about the SR kisses and sushi date Don, glad you liked the CFG. Looking forward to your thoughts on the Lucky tiger as I had looked at that one as well

I'm glad you didn't suffer any complete severing of flesh. I've started having to be careful as the skin on my neck appears to be growing somehow and it sort of bunches up resulting in bites if I'm not on my game.

Bummer about the slices, and that the CF soap doesn't like your water. Actually, it's not quite an elite performer for me with a straight either, but it works fine with a DE. I'm a big fan of the GTB and the Santa Paula scents, though, and will choose to use a DE with those.

sorry about the SR kisses and sushi date Don, glad you liked the CFG. Looking forward to your thoughts on the Lucky tiger as I had looked at that one as well
Thanks, I will post a full review of it in a few days.
I'm glad you didn't suffer any complete severing of flesh. I've started having to be careful as the skin on my neck appears to be growing somehow and it sort of bunches up resulting in bites if I'm not on my game.
Thank you.
Bummer about the slices, and that the CF soap doesn't like your water. Actually, it's not quite an elite performer for me with a straight either, but it works fine with a DE. I'm a big fan of the GTB and the Santa Paula scents, though, and will choose to use a DE with those.
That is a great idea.

Tech - Polisilver (15)
Omega 81156
Cella(Brick)
Chatillon Lux La Forêt de Liguest Salve & AS

This morning, I decided to go with Cella. I prefer the brick to the tub. I have both, but this one seems to perform better to me and doesn't smell as sweet. However, since @cmh737 mentioned the candle wax scent, now that part is very prevalent to me. I thought about using the Marco method for lathering this stuff, but then I decided not to. It would just be a huge waste of product for me. I only swirled 40 times and I ended up with so much lather that it felt wasteful at the end washing the excess down the sink. I couldn't imagine if I was to do 100 like he recommends. I did a 3 pass with some cleanup and ended up with a BBS-. I think it is time to toss this blade. I am a little disappointed by that because I figured that I could get more out of it. The number may look big, but 12 of those are just one pass on the neck only. I also used the splash of the La Foret de Liguest today. Upon initial application it doesn't seem to match, but upon dry down it is a nice match to the salve. I am starting to notice a trend though. On a lot of splashes though, I am noticing a lingering scent that is not there on soaps or balms. To my nose, it seems powdery. I don't think it is a powder scent in the splash, but maybe something that is common to many splashes. The splashes I have that have a more dominant scent tend to cover it up, but I noticed it on my L'Orange Noir and now on this. I do not notice the scent on the Unconditional Surrender from yesterday, but it is a scent that is more dark. Maybe I should have someone smell me to see if they smell a powdery scent. The question becomes, who can I ask at work that it wouldn't make them think that I am weird?

Cella is good soap. I always liked the scent just fine, but I think it was Chad @cvargo that made mention of it smelling like Play Doh. Ever since then, that's what I detect too. Bumms me out. Although, now that I have Vitos, I can enjoy the sweet almond scent again.

....Maybe I should have someone smell me to see if they smell a powdery scent. The question becomes, who can I ask at work that it wouldn't make them think that I am weird?

And that is a real world problem. :001_cool:

Straight Shave #22

Keen Kutter K11
Stirling Synthetic
Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars
LT VC/Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender

Today I returned to the straight. It went very well. I didn't use the DE at all. I could have done some cleanup, but decided that a DFS- is good enough. The first pass went well, but I had to reapply the lather at one point because it was drying out from me taking too long. Better that than rushing and getting cut. The second pass, I am still working on angles. I have a few worked out, but there are many that need minor adjustment and a couple that may need major rethinking. Specifically, my chin, it just keep trying to stop.

Have a great day everyone.

Great Stuff Don, and the Proguard Blades are on the way to me, so the Kami should be on the way soon, when I get a chance to get to the post office

Great stuff, Don! The progress on the straight is awesome, definitely hope it keeps going well for you.
Thanks. I hope so too.
Great Stuff Don, and the Proguard Blades are on the way to me, so the Kami should be on the way soon, when I get a chance to get to the post office
Thanks. Although I am excited to try it, I will gladly wait because the longer I wait, the better I will be and the better I can evaluate it.

Straight Shave #23

Keen Kutter K11
Sorrentino Tuxedo
Saint Charles Shave Bay Rum
LT VC/Captains Choice Bay Rum

I figured since I had a little more time today, I would try the SCS again. Well, this time, I made a mistake while lathering it and added too much water. While resting the brush on the counter between passes, a lot of the lather ran off and pooled around the base of the brush. It is my own fault, I had what I thought looked like a good lather, but thought that there was no way that little amount of water was enough and added more. So, the only thing I can say for certain is that this soap takes less water than most I use and that it is slick. I will have to try it yet again for a more complete review of it. The razor felt good this morning, especially the first pass. That one feels almost automatic. No surprises pop up. However, the second pass felt awkward with my off hand. At one point, I gave up on my chin with the off hand and just used my right. I figured out a better angle to attack that part of my chin where it was stopping yesterday. Still isn't easy going, but I didn't think it was trying to take a detour into the skin instead of along it. CCS and I am happy for now. The biggest problem I was having with my left was something that was purely mental. My mind knew it had to rotate the blade to be a more shallow angle, but my hand was moving the blade the other way. So, I just cured that on that section by using my right. I have fixed my questionable grip problems with the relocation of the blade more into the pad of the finger and using Alum on my fingers.

Thanks for reading everyone.

Nice shave, and great progress, Don! I have to admit that I am almost exclusively a right-handed shaver. The only time I use my off hand is when I am using a spike point that likes to dig in during the passes around my mouth. Good job trying to develop the technique with both, as it will make things more consistent down the road for you.

Good shave Don!
Way to hang with the straight!

Excellent, Don!

Nice shave, and great progress, Don! I have to admit that I am almost exclusively a right-handed shaver. The only time I use my off hand is when I am using a spike point that likes to dig in during the passes around my mouth. Good job trying to develop the technique with both, as it will make things more consistent down the road for you.
Thanks gentlemen!

Top Bottom