What's new

Questions on balm... what is your favorite?

Proraso white
Nivea sensitive
Baxter of california (gel)
La toya sensitive
American crew post shave balm

Barrister & mann seville aftershave is incoming
but currently out of stock

These are my most used ones, I don't like oily balms which leaves the skin shiny

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I enjoy all 3 "colours" of Proraso. I have a Green Tobacco balm by Tcheon Fung Sing that I like. It matches a soap by the same name that is sold under the Mondial label as well as by TFS themselves. The best balm I've occasionally enjoyed is Antica Barbieria Colla's 'milk,' particularly the green tobacco variant, but it can't be had for less than $50 USD.

I've only tried a few:

AoS PSB:
A sample came in one of their "4 Essentials" pack. Purchased separately, it would be about$40/100ml on Amazon.
Good stuff, but not worth the price.

Nivea Men Sensitive PSB:
#1 with a bullet! 99% as good on my face as the AoS for $5/100ml on Amazon.

Proraso PSB:
It didn't excite me, and cost about $16/100ml on Amazon.

Dove Men Care PSB:
Also didn't excite me, and cost about $7/100ml on Amazon.

So of the four, I can't see me ever spending that much for the AoS, although if I find it cheap in Marshall's, I might go for it.

The Nivea, essentially as good, was the cheapest of the four, so that's my staple, since it's easily the best value.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Oily skin so only an occasional user, but there are three I really like.
1. Castle Forbes 1445 - wonderful scent - have the remnants of my sample left. Someday will buy as my sabbatical and restraints allow.
2. Christian Dior Suavage - gift from my wife - wonderful scent
3. Nancy Boy - THIS is my go to if I somehow manage to turn my face into hamburger. It silences the burn and irritation better than anything I've ever used. The only downside for me and maybe not others is the sticky aloe feeling it leaves. I got a free sample when I ordered there shaving soap/cream.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Thanks so much all. After much consideration, I decided to order Captain's Choice and Soap Commander, with Nancy Boy on deck!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I think Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Balm (NOT the cooling version) is one of the best balms out there.
I've used that in the past and liked it. Best of all, it's widely available in stores. It seems so much of the products we enjoy aren't.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned George F. Trumper Skin Food. I bought a bottle of the sandalwood version last time I was at Pasteur's, pre-COVID, and I started using it a couple of weeks ago. It has a completely different feel from any other balm I've tried (list available on request if I can remember them all). On my hands, it feels slippery, but on my face it spreads quickly, and a slight tackiness disappears in about 2 minutes. I can't say it makes me younger, but it does feel nice on my skin. No sting or irritation whatever. Fragrance is light and pleasant. It's pricy, but less than an almond-size dollop is more than enough for my face, my neck, my forehead, on and behind my ears, and the top of my bald head.

Nivea sensitive balm is great value not to greasy since that's the problem with lots of balms ok during the winter time but not so much with summer days another good one is baxter of california slightly mor expensive but a great product

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Nivea sensitive balm is great value not to greasy since that's the problem with lots of balms ok during the winter time but not so much with summer days another good one is baxter of california slightly mor expensive but a great product
I might try the Baxter. The Nivea balm was underwhelming to me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Afta, which has been around for a long time, uses the term skin conditioner, though I don't know how far back that goes.

Much less pretentious.

I'll let you in on a secret, but you didn't get it from me.
After sun lotion is a really good balm and overall face cream.
Last year I got my face severely sunburnt, I used after sun lotion a lot. When the sunburn had healed up completely, I noticed that the lotion made my skin really clean and clear, and my skin on my face has been great ever since. I use it every day after my shave on my entire face.
Dont knock it till you try it

I'll let you in on a secret, but you didn't get it from me.
After sun lotion is a really good balm and overall face cream.
Last year I got my face severely sunburnt, I used after sun lotion a lot. When the sunburn had healed up completely, I noticed that the lotion made my skin really clean and clear, and my skin on my face has been great ever since. I use it every day after my shave on my entire face.
Dont knock it till you try it
I believe it's the ingredient Zinc oxide, you could also apply Nappy Rash cream.

That term... Skin Food" makes my skin crawl. Not speaking to any qualities of the balm, just the term.
Thank you for saying that. I've typed but deleted something similar many times. It's purely a nomenclature thing. I want stuff to be good for my skin. Just not ... food.

I have used most of the balms mentioned, but, for my money and experience, Zingari Man balms are the best on the market, IMO.

They have scented and unscented options. Their sego balm is heavier and contains tallow, while the regular balms are a little lighter and vegan based.

Top Bottom