What's new

Questions on balm... what is your favorite?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I am only just getting into balms. So my question comes in two parts:

What is your favorite aftershave balm, that is reasonably priced? Not looking to pay $40+ per bottle.

And two, what is the difference between aftershave balm and regular facial moisturizer? I use moisturizer on the rest of my face... is there any reason to get a balm too?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I liked Proraso green balm as it has a little menthol which can be refreshing and cooling in warm weather, and bracing on a cold morning. However, I used mine up and did not replace it and have now abandoned 'shave balms'. I now use a normal cheap moisturiser or even a hand cream; Mitchell's make a nice one. I have used a moisturiser on my face every day for decades and perhaps my skin does not require what a balm has to offer.

Last edited:
I am only just getting into balms. So my question comes in two parts:

What is your favorite aftershave balm, that is reasonably priced? Not looking to pay $40+ per bottle.

And two, what is the difference between aftershave balm and regular facial moisturizer? I use moisturizer on the rest of my face... is there any reason to get a balm too?
I think most balms include skin calming products like panthenol and allantoin.

I think most balms include skin calming products like panthenol and allantoin.
Allantoin: promoting cell proliferation and wound healing and a soothing, anti-irritant, and skin protectant effect by forming complexes with irritant and sensitizing agents.
Panthenol is used as a moisturiser to improve wound healing in pharmaceutical and cosmetic products. It is sometimes combined with Allantoin.

For the price Nivea is hard to beat, Proraso also make great balms. A lot are too heavy for me but Nivea sensitive and the cooling balm are firm favourites.

Interestingly Proraso Green just has witch hazel, eucalyptus and menthol. I do like it though. Although Prep Cream which isn't a balm is better.

Nivea, Neutrogena Triple Protect, Proraso, L'Occitane, Davidoff Cool Water, TOBS, Aramis, and Thayers Aftershave Balm are all good.

I happen to like aftershve balms and have tried all of the above. My current favorite is the balm made by L'Occitane.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
How do these stack up? I just

Ariana and Evans
Stirling
Captain's choice
Cella Bio
Chisled Face
Eleven
Speick
Floid
Haslinger
Henri et Victoria
La Toja
Soap Commander
Sudsy Soapery
Wholly Kaw

I am in over my head

Ariana and Evans
Stirling
Captain's choice
Cella Bio
Chisled Face
Eleven
Speick
Floid
Haslinger
Henri et Victoria
La Toja
Soap Commander
Sudsy Soapery
Wholly Kaw

I am in over my head
La Toja balm is fine, I wouldn't say 444 is a balm more a menthol kick. Anything Speick is good.

Ariana and Evans
Stirling
Captain's choice
Cella Bio
Chisled Face
Eleven
Speick
Floid
Haslinger
Henri et Victoria
La Toja
Soap Commander
Sudsy Soapery
Wholly Kaw

I am in over my head
I like Henri et Victoria, Stirling, Eleven and Boellis Panama 1924 balms. But the Boellis is pricey but lasts long time.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I don't like aftershave balm, but I bought, use and like Zingari Man...specifically The Wanderer. Doesn't make my face feel greasy or slick at all.

Generally balms will contain some antiseptic properties/ingredients for any nicks or scrapes, and something to help soothe irritated skin.

Some balms I use, all inexpensive:
  • Nivea sensitive skin - my ATF balm, great price/performance ratio
  • Duke Cannon Ice Cold - some menthol to cool, shea butter to moisturize, & a great sandalwood/bergamot scent
  • Afta - a classic, very inexpensive, clean, citrusy scent
  • Edge sensitive skin Gel - light scent, blends in very well
The first 2 are alcohol-free.

I’ve tried a bunch of balms. For value, I think Spieck is best. I could be happy sticking with it alone. I’m not a fan of Nivea even though it’s inexpensive and locally available. For more money, I think I’d pick Baume.be.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
A while back I had to have a basal cell carcinoma (mild skin cancer) removed. Since then I have started using a moisturizer with SPF daily, so I no longer use a balm. I use a splash and moisturize once it’s dried on the skin. I would recommend the same - I got the skin cancer in my late teen years/early 20s and it can happen to anyone.

I don't think anything beats Cremo cooling post shave Balm. If you like menthol and mint. This stuff is amazing. An incredible value too. This is 8 bucks
1594443729713.png

Top Bottom