What's new

Price vs. Quality (newbie question)

Some of the factors that drive up the prices of razors have little to do with the shaving performance, so it’s worth being aware of that.

High quality polishing is expensive and difficult to achieve without affecting the razor tolerances, and in some cases it is the majority of a razor’s cost. Some metals are harder to machine and will require more machine time or wear out machine parts faster, which adds cost. Some designs add complication to the production process too, though they may look great or add functionality (e.g. an adjustable razor). And low volume production is inevitably much more expensive per piece, especially when you factor in the razor development and testing costs.

All of those things may have no effect on the way a razor shaves, but they are still legitimate factors in a razor’s pricing. You have to judge for yourself whether they are worth paying more for.

That said, most of us expect that if a razor is expensive it should give an excellent shave (which can mean very different things to different people, but still). So if a pricey razor does not perform well it probably will not sell well over time. Hence there is usually some connection between price and quality.

And, as many already said, you have to work out what kind of razor characteristics you prefer before you can find the right razors for you. It’s good to talk about what you have, what you like and dislike about it, what you wish it was more like, and you’ll get helpful recommendations. There are truly excellent razors at all price levels, so everybody should be able to find their ‘grail’ razor.

Or, to save time and expense, you could buy a Lambda Athena razor and you’re probably done.

Another factor may be the personal connection with the razor. I dearly wish I had my father's or grandfather's old Gillette razors. I was willing to pay for a vintage Gillette razor with a date code of 1951, the year of my birth. I not only enjoy using it, I intend to pass it on to one of my children, they can fight over it. :adoration::adoration:

For me, the vintage razor has a value worth paying extra for and I can use it with pleasure. Plus, it shaves very well with any number of blades. Fact is, I can get an amazing shave with my Merkur Progress which cost less but does not have the nostalgia of my old vintage Gillette.

Nice looking razor, but zero exposure... that's a hard pass for me.
Ah, you haven’t tried it. It may surprise you. This kind of head design doesn’t need any blade exposure or gap. It’s like a slotted comb where the blade is clamped along the comb and the edge slices hair as your skin bulges into the slots. It’s very efficient and close, and conventional razor principles don’t apply the same.

Get a Tech or a SuperSpeed. There are millions of them. $5-25, last a lifetime.

I’m a big fan of the Lord L6 (apparently the L5 is a lot milder than mine from 10 years ago, and I can’t recommend it). The L6 can be had for $6.50 in the US and provides a fabulous shave.

And then there are the Schick injectors. Also plentiful and about $15-30. They will outshave any DE in the world, no exceptions.

In my experience, less is more.

Last edited:
I see 3 piece zamac razors as disposable and prone to eventually fail. I’ve had 3 of them fail in the threaded area of the top cap, a Lord and an EJ both with occasional use lasted about a year, and a Merkur that I’ve used only once!

Hello, this is not normal, I shave with a razor purchased 4 euros since June 2018.

It's a Super Gillette Blue China made in zamak, it's like new.

When I've finished shaving, I rinse it with hot water, disassemble it, I dry it with a bath towel and and I reassemble it.

Maybe you've just been unlucky.

I see 3 piece zamac razors as disposable and prone to eventually fail. I’ve had 3 of them fail in the threaded area of the top cap, a Lord and an EJ both with occasional use lasted about a year, and a Merkur that I’ve used only once!
This cannot be bad luck. It is systematic failure. How do you take care of your razors ?

Price is funny question, and thought to point and say anything is BEST VALUE. Karve Alumim, or Brass is lot of band for Buck. Can not go wrong with Vintage Gillette Tech, and canyon E-bay.

Ceneraly CNC Machined Brands are most costly then MIN, or Zernic Cast Razors. Value Machined Razor would be Italian Barbers, stuff aka GsmeChanger at 70 bucks.

Hello everyone, I have newbie question. In life I have noticed you can buy different grades of items. My guess is shaving is no different. When you buy a razor, what are you paying for as the price increases? Lets say you compare a $5 no name razor, a $10 Lord, and a $40 Edwin Jagger or Merkur. Why do the Edwin Jagger and Merkur cost more?
I've explored a number of under $20 razors and found that those under $10, such as the Lord L6 ($6-$7), while functional are made of lower cost materials (e.g. aluminum handle in a cast zamac head) with a much rougher fit and finish. These also tend to be simpler to manufacture 3 piece razors. Often at these ultra low price points the razors have significant flaws in areas such as blade alignment (Ming Shi 3000s) or excessive aggressiveness (less metal in razor resulting in more blade exposure). There are exceptions such as the sub-$10 Razorock TekII razors that are well regarded here.

Once you get into the $10-$20 range (Weishi and Baili for example) the fit and finish is far superior, better materials such as chromed brass (Weishi) and convenience features such as TTO or adjustability (Razorock Adjust/rebranded Baili). There are a lot of great values in this price range that work really well and will last for years. Be selective of adjustable TTO razors in this price range as these are the most complex products to manufacture with the result that many TTO adjustables, even some ranging up to $30, have blade alignment issues per fellow B&Ber posts. I got lucky and found one, the Razorock Adjust noted above, that uses the same style of adjustment mechanism found in the classic Gillette adjustables, that works really well for under $15.

North of these prices, my sense is that under roughly $75 one is paying for some combination of brand name, better materials, fit and finish with more consistent manufacturing quality as price goes up. As one gets into the $100's for what are often smaller batch CNC manufactured razors it becomes more about unique, often collectable, designs and extreme precision where there is never a need to adjust the position of a freshly loaded blade for example - something that may be required in a lower cost razor.

Overall, if one is willing to spend at least $10 -$20, you can get a good quality razor that works well without any major compromises beyond a possible need manually adjust a freshly loaded blade to ensure alignment.

Ah, you haven’t tried it. It may surprise you. This kind of head design doesn’t need any blade exposure or gap. It’s like a slotted comb where the blade is clamped along the comb and the edge slices hair as your skin bulges into the slots. It’s very efficient and close, and conventional razor principles don’t apply the same.
I second what he said!

I’m a big fan of the Lord L6 (apparently the L5 is a lot milder than mine from 10 years ago, and I can’t recommend it). The L6 can be had for $6.50 in the US and provides a fabulous shave.
I got a L6, largely based on your testimony, Sir. It is a great razor. No issues with blade alignment at all and it is neither too mild nor aggressive from my perspective. If I had a small quibble, I would just like it to be a bit heavier. Maybe some experimentation with lead tape will get it into my sweet spot.

Price vs. quality is hard to measure in DE shaving. Each man's shave is his own, so there's not an objective way to measure customer satisfaction. And that's not even getting into the heirloom/hobbyist aspect of collecting razors.

I started DE shaving in about 2011, came here initially for research, and then happily shaved with just a Merkur 34C for over a decade. It started rusting on one side of the baseplate, and my aging face got more resistant to getting good shaves, so I decided to explore my options. Thanks to this place, I'm now awash in safety razors! :D

For me, part of the satisfaction of DE shaving is how inexpensive it can be, so I'm not interested in the more expensive boutique razors like Karve, Blackbird or Wolfman. I don't go overboard the other way and get the Chinese knock-offs, though. RazoRock is a godsend for making small-volume SS razors at affordable prices.

My advice is just get a well-rated, affordable and relatively mild razor when you're still in the early years of DE shaving. An older Tech or a RazoRock GC .68P is a great place to start. Experiment down the road when you've mastered the art, and you may find that perfect combination for you. You do NOT have to buy a $200 razor to achieve that, though.

I got a L6, largely based on your testimony, Sir. It is a great razor. No issues with blade alignment at all and it is neither too mild nor aggressive from my perspective. If I had a small quibble, I would just like it to be a bit heavier. Maybe some experimentation with lead tape will get it into my sweet spot.
I like the head heavy bias. If you add weight to the handle it will feel ponderous, like a Fatip Piccolo or a Gillette Slim

I am currently testing a bunch of under $10 razors
1709919832052.png

That one looks interesting. What can you tell us about it?

I've explored a number of under $20 razors and found that those under $10, such as the Lord L6 ($6-$7), while functional are made of lower cost materials (e.g. aluminum handle in a cast zamac head) with a much rougher fit and finish. These also tend to be simpler to manufacture 3 piece razors. Often at these ultra low price points the razors have significant flaws in areas such as blade alignment (Ming Shi 3000s) or excessive aggressiveness (less metal in razor resulting in more blade exposure). There are exceptions such as the sub-$10 Razorock TekII razors that are well regarded here.

Once you get into the $10-$20 range (Weishi and Baili for example) the fit and finish is far superior, better materials such as chromed brass (Weishi) and convenience features such as TTO or adjustability (Razorock Adjust/rebranded Baili). There are a lot of great values in this price range that work really well and will last for years. Be selective of adjustable TTO razors in this price range as these are the most complex products to manufacture with the result that many TTO adjustables, even some ranging up to $30, have blade alignment issues per fellow B&Ber posts. I got lucky and found one, the Razorock Adjust noted above, that uses the same style of adjustment mechanism found in the classic Gillette adjustables, that works really well for under $15.

North of these prices, my sense is that under roughly $75 one is paying for some combination of brand name, better materials, fit and finish with more consistent manufacturing quality as price goes up. As one gets into the $100's for what are often smaller batch CNC manufactured razors it becomes more about unique, often collectable, designs and extreme precision where there is never a need to adjust the position of a freshly loaded blade for example - something that may be required in a lower cost razor.

Overall, if one is willing to spend at least $10 -$20, you can get a good quality razor that works well without any major compromises beyond a possible need manually adjust a freshly loaded blade to ensure alignment.
Thank you very much. This helps a lot. My interest is a high quality shaving tool. I am not a collector, so a pretty one off is not for me. I want to avoid the poor quality control of a low end razor. I want a buy once....last for decades razor, well made but not flashy or collectable. My Matco wratets were given to me by my mechanic cousin. He used them daily for 25 years before giving them to me. Expensive, yes...but also will last decades. That is what I want.

Thank you very much. This helps a lot. My interest is a high quality shaving tool. I am not a collector, so a pretty one off is not for me. I want to avoid the poor quality control of a low end razor. I want a buy once....last for decades razor, well made but not flashy or collectable. My Matco wratets were given to me by my mechanic cousin. He used them daily for 25 years before giving them to me. Expensive, yes...but also will last decades. That is what I want.
If you want something where the finish will last for decades, then you're talking premium razors. I don't think the chrome plating on razors in the $30 range (EJ & Muhle) are that durable. I can see my $160 AS-D2 lasting for decades looking and working as it did on day 1.

I started off with the inexpensive Vikings Chieftan razor Two years ago. I loved the potential for a smooth clean shave but often drew some blood. So I stepped it up to a Muhle R89 which was superior in performance, rarely drew blood. But, that wasn’t enough as I wanted a more agressive compliment so I picked up the Merkur 37C slant for when I went over two days. The two zamac razors did well. Fast forward to about six months ago when my quest ended. I now use the Rockwell 6S, a stainless steel razor with a lifetime warranty (if purchased from their website), which has no moving parts to wear out or jam, and includes plates to modify the aggressiveness to accommodate my current beard.

So for about $100 (on sale) I have a quality razor to make all my needs, that should never wear out, and even I break it I can get a free replacement part for life. This to me, is the sweet spot for price/value. After two year I found my ideal razor, and settled in on my ideal blade - Perma-Sharp (I picked up a few packs of a hundred when I heard the Russian plant closed for 10 cents each, now the price has doubled. My current quest is now all about trying different soaps by picked up lots of samples.

Top Bottom