What's new

Questions about a Feather AC non folding razor

Looking to buy my first straight (again). I saw a video and saw a guy use a non folding razor. Turns out it was either a feather AC or similar type.

Saw 2 non folding Feather AC's on westcoast shaving site, a DX and a SS. Outside of the $120 difference in price, what can you guys tell me are the differences in them?

I tried using a straight about 13 years ago and had 0 success with it. Never could cut hair with it, just remember a scraping noise. Gave up after a few attempts. I also remember i did not like the way it felt in my hand. Just felt flimsy which is why I am going after the non folding kind.

Any other recommendations for a non folding SE under the $300 range that is good for a beginner?

Also would like to keep it a shavette. Not ready for honing yet.

The Feather AC will shave you, no doubt about it. It is soulless but very effective. I suggest you tread lightly (a light touch is required).

There are quite a few threads on the differences between the 2. From my recollection, I think the head profile, or where the blade extrudes from the housing, is shaped a little differently.

In either case, they will both require a light touch. On the plus side, the feather blades are scary sharp. On the downside, those feather blades are scary sharp.

DX is a stainless head, a great tool once you master it. Excellent balance. SS is okay, head configuration that pushes the skin down more when shaving (I sold mine). The RX (harder to find) is same design as DX only not stainless. Head is heavier on the RX, so balance is different. If you want get into this type of shaving with cheap entry cost, chase down a Korean CBJ ($30-$40). All these razors will accomodate the same blades (Feather, Kai, Dorco). Blade choice is actually the largest variable after technique and good prep. In the end, no matter what you pick, the handles are just holders for the blades. There's a lot of threads out there about shaving with these and a lot of opinions as well. I have the the DX, RX, and CBJ and use them interchangeably. Good luck!

Top Bottom