What's new

Question on the Cobra Classic

I recently picked one of these up used to give it a go. My questions is this: After I have loaded the blade, and returned the lever to the upright position, I can still move the bottom safety bar around a bit. Is the razor designed/supposed to be like this? There is some room in each of the holes in the side ends of the cap. Or, is it supposed to lock solidly into position like a Schick injector?

Here is a photo of the side end with a blade loaded.

Attachments

• $cobra 001 (800x532).jpg
    $cobra 001 (800x532).jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
IIRC, the safety bar on my cobra is pretty firm in place.. unless i don't understand your question, once i lock the bar in, it doesn't move it all.

i'll check about the holes if i can't find an online pic, once i get home...

as an aside, when i load the blade, i pull out the safety bar with my thumb under the lip. i don't know if that makes complete sense to anyone who hasn't held the cobra and tried to load a blade...

IIRC, the safety bar on my cobra is pretty firm in place.. unless i don't understand your question, once i lock the bar in, it doesn't move it all.

i'll check about the holes if i can't find an online pic, once i get home...

as an aside, when i load the blade, i pull out the safety bar with my thumb under the lip. i don't know if that makes complete sense to anyone who hasn't held the cobra and tried to load a blade...

Thanks. Yes, loading the razor was not at all an issue. I am just interested in knowing if the holes on the sides of these things have some play or are generally larger than needed, or if the one I have may just be off. I have looked at the photos I could find on line, but cannot really tell from them, so I thought I would ask here and see what owners, as they should know best, had to say.

they definitely have play when open.. i tried to look at online pics to the same inconclusive result.

but if they moved around when closed, that doesn't sound very "safetybar-ish"

Both the CC I own, and the one that I used for the passaround had a bit of side-to-side play. I was worried about it, but no longer think that it's a problem.

Here is a link where I posted some photos a while ago. The side shot looks fairly similar to yours. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/176800-Holy-Cobra!?p=2558290#post2558290

Like global_dev noted, this may make no sense to anyone that has never used a Cobra, but when I got my first Cobra there was a LOT of play after the blade was loaded. I still shaved with it as I had no idea there was an issue. What I later learned was that the spring in the latch mechanism - that little bump on the top - was stuck in the compressed position. I sent it back to Classic Shaving and they quickly sent me a replacement, which I have been using ever since. I will check my razor tonight to confirm if there is a bit of side-to-side play in the safety bar.

P.S. Are you considering making a razor head that would accept the Feather AC blades? :drool:

EDIT: Since craig87c used my Cobra and it had play, I guess we have the answer. :blush:

Last edited:
Here is a link where I posted some photos a while ago. The side shot looks fairly similar to yours. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/176800-Holy-Cobra!?p=2558290#post2558290

Like global_dev noted, this may make no sense to anyone that has never used a Cobra, but when I got my first Cobra there was a LOT of play after the blade was loaded. I still shaved with it as I had no idea there was an issue. What I later learned was that the spring in the latch mechanism - that little bump on the top - was stuck in the compressed position. I sent it back to Classic Shaving and they quickly sent me a replacement, which I have been using ever since. I will check my razor tonight to confirm if there is a bit of side-to-side play in the safety bar.

P.S. Are you considering making a razor head that would accept the Feather AC blades? :drool:

EDIT: Since craig87c used my Cobra and it had play, I guess we have the answer. :blush:

hmm... side to side... seems different than what i was considering, which was just floppy... i'll be home soon and take a look.

Thanks guys. I had some time today before going to pick up the latest delivery of Tradere OCs. So, I was playing with the Cobra, which occasioned the question. The shave was fine, but I was really just curious if it is an anomally or not that the one I have has some play in the side holes.

I also polished the remaining plating off an beat old Gillette New and tried a new treatment, FrogLube, on it to see how it would work. I use FrogLube to clean my guns and it is made from non-toxic food grade ingredients, so I thought it might help keep my razors cleaner if I applied it. I am always tinkering with something.

Last edited:
Richard, I would be very interested in a Tradere Razor that takes the Feather Pro blades. Made of SS, it would be the bees knees. Maybe you may consider it after the upcoming Slant project.

I'd be worried if our answers WEREN'T the same :laugh:

Mine, however, has a bit of play in the lever that is swung up/down to secure the blade in place. The shave feels the same, so I'm not every concerned. I may email Classic Shaving and see what they say about it. (sorry about the thread jack!)

Probably not possible but one that took all Feather artist club blades would be the coolest yet, especially in stainless. Going to purchase a cobra soon (my birthday is next month) and would be up for another well executed feather blade razor.

Out of interest, anybody know the best price around for a Cobra? I have a bunch of blades but I'm thinking that the Feather Artist Clubs/Kai Captains are just not for me....

Richard,
i have a bit of play on mine, but not much and it feels fairly secure in place. If you have a lot of play when it is locked in place, you may have an issue.
Good luck, sir.

Top Bottom