What's new

Question: Aftershave performance - disregarding scent

Personally I rate SV aftershaves very high very light texture which absorbs easily and leaves my skin soft without any greasy feel and you get some beautiful scents on top of that

Besides SV here's some I really enjoy as well in terms of performance and scent

Speick active - splash
Proraso green - splash
Proraso white - balm
Floid - splash
Baxter of california - gel/balm
Nivea hyaluron - balm
Fine accoutrements italian citrus & lavender pour homme - splash

I think beside disinfection the post shave feel is important. I tried aftershaves from: Proraso, Razorock, Stirling, Saponificio Varensino, Ariana and Evans, Demin, Axe etc.
I think the the Saponificio aftershaves are the best. Next are the Ariana and Evans aftershaves.
I did not like the really cheap supermarket and proraso aftershaves.

T&H Ultimate Comfort, Gentlemen’s Refinery, and PdP are my favorite balms. I just started a tube of Wahl 1919. It’s nice in skin feel and absorption but maybe a tick behind the others.

For a splash without alcohol, Thayers Toner is as effective as any I’ve tried.

For agel, again without alcohol, St. James of London is deluxe.

T&H Ultimate Comfort, Gentlemen’s Refinery, and PdP are my favorite balms. I just started a tube of Wahl 1919. It’s nice in skin feel and absorption but maybe a tick behind the others.

For a splash without alcohol, Thayers Toner is as effective as any I’ve tried.

For agel, again without alcohol, St. James of London is deluxe.
Recommend any with Alcohol?

Are all Floid and Myrsol splashes the same base ingredients just with different scents and menthol levels?

The ingredient lists between the different Floïd and Myrsol aftershaves are quite different in some cases, for Myrsol you can find a handy ingredient table online. My top performing splashes from both are the following.

Myrsol (tried all):
1. Agua Balsamica
2. Plastic Shave
3. Antesol

Floïd (only tried the ones listed):
1. Black
2. Spanish Vigoroso
3. Blue

The Floïds seem to have been reformulated a while back, my newer bottles no longer contain lilial (butylphenyl methylpropional). I prefer the face feel of the newer ones but the scent projection also came down a bit. To me the SV splashes are in a class of their own, couldn't imagine anything leaving my skin more soothed and smooth.. really hoping they release some more daring scents.

To be honest, being retired and since Covid not leaving the house most days, I've been using Dickinson's witch hazel as an aftershave for most shaves. It's alcohol based and, although boring scent-wise, works just as well as an aftershave. I had been splashing it on before aftershave for years anyway. When I want a follow-up scent, it's usually Captains Choice Bay Rum, CO9T or North, or if I need a clove fix, Ogallala Bay Rum.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Ogallala Bay Rum Double Strength
Fine Snakebite
Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Bootlegger's Green Freeze
Captain's Choice Nor'Easter
Captain's Choice Cat-o'-nine-tails
Zingari Man Recovery Splash

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
If I was going to make an aftershave that was strong or really cold I'd call it:

Johnny Switchblade's Black Venom

Just a thought.

At this stage of the game I have come to know what works for me and my face.

Alum block/Thayers Witch Hazel astringent
Clubman Original, AV Ice Sport, Nivea Deep splashes all perform similarly for me.

The real Rockstar for me is Nivea's Sensitive Aftershave Balm. Nothing calms my face down more than this product and I wouldn't want to shave without it.

The "sensitive" formulation specifically? (White bottle)
At this stage of the game I have come to know what works for me and my face.

Alum block/Thayers Witch Hazel astringent
Clubman Original, AV Ice Sport, Nivea Deep splashes all perform similarly for me.

The real Rockstar for me is Nivea's Sensitive Aftershave Balm. Nothing calms my face down more than this product and I wouldn't want to shave without it.

Top Bottom