What's new

Question: Aftershave performance - disregarding scent

When most people list, rank or otherwise express preference for an aftershave product I find it apparent they do so primarily, if not entirely, because of the scent. I'd like to go in a different direction and ask how you gentlemen would rank your top 3-5ish aftershaves splashes based entirely on their performance. Especially where skin soothing/nourishing/foods are concerned. Alcohol splashed preferred. Only.products currently available please.

Once again...we are pretending here that every aftershave on Earth is completely scentless AND all cost the same.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I have less than 10 aftershaves, so I understand I'm offering my opinion with very little weight behind it. However, I absolutely love the way Stirling a/s makes my skin feel. I have Stirling bergamot and lavender, and iced pineapple. I know you said scent doesn't matter, but the iced pineapple has menthol and the other doesn't, and that changes how it feels on my skin which I consider part of the "performance."

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
When most people list, rank or otherwise express preference for an aftershave product I find it apparent they do so primarily, if not entirely, because of the scent. I'd like to go in a different direction and ask how you gentlemen would rank your top 3-5ish aftershaves splashes based entirely on their performance. Especially where skin soothing/nourishing/foods are concerned. Alcohol splashed preferred. Only.products currently available please.

Once again...we are pretending here that every aftershave on Earth is completely scentless AND all cost the same.

When I'm mostly interested in how the aftershave feels on my skin there is one I tend to grab.

888.RazoRock888.480-.5-31-18.JPG

I think there's a much the same sibling in a lime scent.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Anything from Floid (but especially Blue), Barrister's Reserve, Most PAA aftershaves, Proraso Green, Wet Shaving Products. No particular order. I could add plenty more. The fact is there are plenty of excellent aftershaves. Perhaps, the focus on scent is because most aftershaves perform so well we feel no need to discuss it unless one surprises us with how good or bad it is. You will notice that when someone introduces a new formula, or when a new artisan comes on the scene, then performance will be reviewed.

Of my 150 or so alcohol-based aftershaves still in production, these have the “balmiest” face feel:

Noble Otter
Maol Grooming
Ariana and Evans
Barrister & Mann
Declaration Grooming

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Most of my 200 aftershave splashes, have nothing but alcohol for bracing and glycerin for skin conditioning.

Those two simple ingredients have always sufficed for me in the needs of my skin after a shave.

So the collection of 200 vintage and modern AS’s I own, is merely because of the way they smell. :)

Speick does not use glycerin for skin conditioning. It uses sorbitol and lactic acid, plus some essential oils. It's interesting the Myrsol line of aftershaves also uses sorbitol and lactic acid for conditioning.

Tabac and some of the classic drugstore aftershaves use propylene glycol. Another very common ingredient in many aftershaves these days is PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil.

Speick Aftershave Lotion
RazoRock’s Current Aftershave Tonic (888, Lime or King Louis Lavender)
Captain’s Choice
Pitralon (Classic, Pure or Swiss)
Barrister and Man’s FORMER Aftershave Splashes (Tonique or Deltus Base)
RazoRock’s EARLY Aftershave Splashes in the Brown Bottles (More like Aftershave Tonics-Less Alcohol and More Moisturizing)

All of these are the best of the best for me in terms of performance. I really couldn’t care less about scent in an aftershave.

Number one in my experience for quality skin conditioning is Ethos Skin Food splash. For me, simply the best. There is an unscented version for those looking to avoid any scent. Or if you're looking for a quality true scent in your splash, check out one of the many quality scents.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Number one in my experience for quality skin conditioning is Ethos Skin Food splash. For me, simply the best. There is an unscented version for those looking to avoid any scent. Or if you're looking for a quality true scent in your splash, check out one of the many quality scents.

I forgot that one. It is amazingly good.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I forgot that one. It is amazingly good.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The proverbial straw that ended up breaking the camel’s back…

Speick, La Toja, Swiss Pitralon and Proraso, are a few of my over the pond favorites for face feel qualities. :)
Any tips getting Swiss Pitralon at a reasonable price? It can be a problem getting it shipped from overseas. I have to admit I'm curious about the "fresh pears in a Swiss hospital" scent.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Any tips getting Swiss Pitralon at a reasonable price? It can be a problem getting it shipped from overseas. I have to admit I'm curious about the "fresh pears in a Swiss hospital" scent.

The bottle I have been using for some time now, I picked up at Pasteur's Pharmacy, quite a few years ago while in NYC. I picked up 3 other bottles a couple years back from one of the online vendor's who was having a three for two sale. My rotation of many aftershaves will probably keep them in storage for quite a few years to come.

Top Bottom