What's new

Question: Aftershave performance - disregarding scent

Number one in my experience for quality skin conditioning is Ethos Skin Food splash. For me, simply the best. There is an unscented version for those looking to avoid any scent. Or if you're looking for a quality true scent in your splash, check out one of the many quality scents.
This.

Ethos Greenfresh is by far the best AS I have every used for after shave feel. Totally smoothens and softens my skin. Amazing stuff.

Weirdly, the Ethos (Greenfresh) soap causes me a bit of irritation…

The "sensitive" formulation specifically? (White bottle)

Yes. Although they no longer come in the white bottle. It is a clear bottle with a different greyish lid. Still glass though. I've not tried the normal non-sensitive version so I cannot comment on it. I have used both the Sensitive and the Sensitive Cool AS Balm and both are like magic for me and my face. Like I said, I wouldn't want to shave without it.

Yes. Although they no longer come in the white bottle. It is a clear bottle with a different greyish lid. Still glass though. I've not tried the normal non-sensitive version so I cannot comment on it. I have used both the Sensitive and the Sensitive Cool AS Balm and both are like magic for me and my face. Like I said, I wouldn't want to shave without it.

Of the four types I've only tried regular sensitive...

Screenshot_20210909-100243.png

I'd like to try the other 3 eventually...

Screenshot_20210909-100314.pngScreenshot_20210909-100350.pngScreenshot_20210909-100333.png

Of the four types I've only tried regular sensitive...

View attachment 1325478

I'd like to try the other 3 eventually...

View attachment 1325479View attachment 1325481View attachment 1325480

Can't comment on the moisturizer but here is what the bottles look like with the new caps for the mens shaving line. Not sure when they made the change. I'm sure the white bottles can still be found be they would be older stock.

The aftershave that I have is the burnt wood or dark wood scent. Can't remember what the website said but it was something to that affect. I like it and so does my wife. It's a subtle smooth and clean scent. Not as strong or as long lasting as other popular splashes. I think they also have a deep bourbon and cigar scent that just came out but I haven't tried that one. I'm a big fan of Nivea shaving products. They work extremely well for me.

1.jpg

I rank my favorite aftershaves based solely on performance/protection, not on scent (I leave the scent part to my EdC/EdT). I only use aftershave splashes, not balms.

My top performing aftershaves are Speick Original and Active, La Toja and Tabac, roughly in that order.

Bear in mind that I have normal to slightly oily skin. I’ve heard some people complain about Speick and La Toja (mostly La Toja) causing some skin dryness after extended use. I favor them because of their performance and skin protection properties, but also because they don’t leave any residue, sticky/greasy feeling on my skin.

I also enjoy very much Proraso Green, Proraso Red (the most “balm like” AS I know), Cella Original, Cella Bio, Floid The Original (Amber), Floid The Original 1932 (very soon I hope!), Floid Mentolado Vigoroso, Lea Classic and Epsilon. I do not rank these among my top favorites because AS containing glycerin simply do not work as well for me, because of the residue and sticky/greasy feeling described above. They are still very good performers and afford plenty of protection and skin care. I mostly use these when shaving at night, right before heading to bed.

I also enjoy some of the classic and timeless Eau de Cologne, like 4711, Cella Classica and Lavende, Ach Brito Antiga and Lavanda and Alvarez Gomes Concentrada, but these are a little bit lacking in the performance/protection department.

Finally, I also like to play around from time to time with (mostly American) artisan aftershaves splashes. While their performance usually goes from more than acceptable to excellent, I do it mostly for their scents (and there are some truly wonderful ones out there!).

Have a great one!

I rank my favorite aftershaves based solely on performance/protection, not on scent (I leave the scent part to my EdC/EdT). I only use aftershave splashes, not balms.

My top performing aftershaves are Speick Original and Active, La Toja and Tabac, roughly in that order.

Bear in mind that I have normal to slightly oily skin. I’ve heard some people complain about Speick and La Toja (mostly La Toja) causing some skin dryness after extended use. I favor them because of their performance and skin protection properties, but also because they don’t leave any residue, sticky/greasy feeling on my skin.

I also enjoy very much Proraso Green, Proraso Red (the most “balm like” AS I know), Cella Original, Cella Bio, Floid The Original (Amber), Floid The Original 1932 (very soon I hope!), Floid Mentolado Vigoroso, Lea Classic and Epsilon. I do not rank these among my top favorites because AS containing glycerin simply do not work as well for me, because of the residue and sticky/greasy feeling described above. They are still very good performers and afford plenty of protection and skin care. I mostly use these when shaving at night, right before heading to bed.

I also enjoy some of the classic and timeless Eau de Cologne, like 4711, Cella Classica and Lavende, Ach Brito Antiga and Lavanda and Alvarez Gomes Concentrada, but these are a little bit lacking in the performance/protection department.

Finally, I also like to play around from time to time with (mostly American) artisan aftershaves splashes. While their performance usually goes from more than acceptable to excellent, I do it mostly for their scents (and there are some truly wonderful ones out there!).

Have a great one!
How does Cella Red splash smell? Not like the soap?

How does Cella Red splash smell? Not like the soap?
Hi there! Sorry for the late reply, it’s been a really crazy week…

Short answer: no, not at all. The soap smells (to me) like almods, very sweet almonds with a slight touch of cherry. The splash has nothing to do with almonds nor cherries, again to me. I very bad at describing scents but trying my best, I’d prolly call it a classic barbershop, very old school scent. I personally like it a lot and I think it does a very good job in the performance/protection department.

Hope this helps!

Hi there! Sorry for the late reply, it’s been a really crazy week…

Short answer: no, not at all. The soap smells (to me) like almods, very sweet almonds with a slight touch of cherry. The splash has nothing to do with almonds nor cherries, again to me. I very bad at describing scents but trying my best, I’d prolly call it a classic barbershop, very old school scent. I personally like it a lot and I think it does a very good job in the performance/protection department.

Hope this helps!
Thank you, sir. o7

Top Bottom