What's new

Question about Bootlegger's

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
So, my barber recently let me try a bit of his St. John's bayrum, and I was absolutely floored by the depth and richness of the scent. After researching, it doesn't seem to last long at all. So for me it's not worth the spend.

One thing that keeps coming up in searches is Bootleggers. People (calling @OkieStubble !!) really sing its praises.

I have been on this forum a looooong time and have sadly never tried a bootleggers recipe. And I have a bunch of questions!
  1. Can they really compete with much more expensive brands in terms of scent and skin conditioning?
  2. Has anyone ever experimented with adding new Bootleggers recipes? It strikes me that the original clubman might be a great addition into one of the recipes.
  3. What are people's favorite recipes?
Thanks all!

I’m no expert but I’ll try to help out.

1. Most Bootleggers do not really have a lot of skin conditioning ingredients, just what comes in the ingredients. Most of the ingredients are affordable and common by design. You can add glycerine or hyaluronic acid if you wanted. Anything you want really.

2. @OkieStubble is the master of bootlegger recipes and testing. You might work with him on that. They go through extensive testing.

3. I like most all of the recipes. A couple are harder to get ingredients for anymore. Green freeze is my favorite. I mix it in hand usually.

The main goal with the Bootlegger's recipes is to combine inexpensive drugstore/barbershop aftershaves to create something much better than the original components. It's not really intended to compete with high-end aftershaves, though.

That said, there are no real secrets in making a good aftershave and you can add whatever skin conditioning components you like to the mix.

You can experiment and make your own mixes. I've done that because I wanted to use what I had on hand. It's just that they are not "official" Bootlegger's recipes.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I’m no expert but I’ll try to help out.

1. Most Bootleggers do not really have a lot of skin conditioning ingredients, just what comes in the ingredients. Most of the ingredients are affordable and common by design. You can add glycerine or hyaluronic acid if you wanted. Anything you want really.

2. @OkieStubble is the master of bootlegger recipes and testing. You might work with him on that. They go through extensive testing.

3. I like most all of the recipes. A couple are harder to get ingredients for anymore. Green freeze is my favorite. I mix it in hand usually.
The main goal with the Bootlegger's recipes is to combine inexpensive drugstore/barbershop aftershaves to create something much better than the original components. It's not really intended to compete with high-end aftershaves, though.

That said, there are no real secrets in making a good aftershave and you can add whatever skin conditioning components you like to the mix.

You can experiment and make your own mixes. I've done that because I wanted to use what I had on hand. It's just that they are not "official" Bootlegger's recipes.

I support these posts! :)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
So, my barber recently let me try a bit of his St. John's bayrum, and I was absolutely floored by the depth and richness of the scent. After researching, it doesn't seem to last long at all. So for me it's not worth the spend.

One thing that keeps coming up in searches is Bootleggers. People (calling @OkieStubble !!) really sing its praises.

I have been on this forum a looooong time and have sadly never tried a bootleggers recipe. And I have a bunch of questions!
  1. Can they really compete with much more expensive brands in terms of scent and skin conditioning?
  2. Has anyone ever experimented with adding new Bootleggers recipes? It strikes me that the original clubman might be a great addition into one of the recipes.
Thanks all!

Well, I won't mention any other specific brands of Bay Rum, but if there are other brands who only use vegetable glycerin as the added conditioner, then yes, it can compete. But if you are talking about an Artisan Bay Rum which contains two, three and even four or more skin goodies, then maybe not, but only in the category of skin conditioning. But they are also 4 times the price.

@NorthernSoul described what the Bootlegger's Series is, very well. My Bootlegger's concoctions actually came around, before many of the artisan brands were even a thing. Bootlegger's was never intentioned to compete, or even say they are better then artisan brands. The only purpose of my Bootlegger's Series of aftershaves, was to take, cheap, ordinary, drugstore aftershaves, and experiment, by thinking 'outside of the box' and mixing them, in order to create better aftershaves, that when mixed, took on synergistic qualities, where the finished sum, became more, than the individual parts.

alot of time, effort and personal expense, went into purchasing many different types of drugstore aftershaves, in order to experiment, test, discover and then send out hundreds if not thousands of Bootlegger's samples for trials to the B&B aftershave community. It took quite a few years, between the first of the series with my Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum, to the last and final one of the 7 aftershaves in the series which was Bootlegger's EL Dorado. :)

I am the sole creator of the Bootlegger's Series of aftershaves. In the beginning, I had alot of help from B&B member KJ, The Vez2, who became an early fan of my concoctions and was very instrumental in marketing and getting the word out about my Bootlegger's creations which I am very much thankful for. He even designed the awesome artistic labels for each aftershave and created the Bootlegger's Wiki Page, see here:

If you are asking me, what are peoples favorite Bootlegger's recipes? I have to say, I am truly thankful and honored, that all seven of the series of aftershaves have been very well received by the B&B community over the many years. I am a huge seasonal type of guy and creating seasonal aftershaves was the foundation and the main focus when experimenting in my laboratory.

So, Hot Summer days? Bootlegger's Green Freeze and Bootlegger's Artic Lime. Summer Nights? Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum and Bootlegger's Perfecto Virginia.

Fall? Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum and Bootlegger's Perfecto Maduro

Winter? Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum, especially during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays and Bootlegger's EL Dorado.

Spring? Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum, Perfecto Virginia, Original Bay Rum, EL Dorado on cool spring nights and even the two menthol Bootlegger's on very warm spring days.

While this shows which seasons they are best in, many members enjoy them all year round regardless of the season or temperature outside. :)

As you said earlier in your OP, ST, Johns Bay Rum is very good and expensive. ST. Johns used to be my favorite Bay Rum. You were absolutely right when you described how rich and wonderful it is. But also, how fleeting it is. Fleeting Bay Rum scent, is the curse of many, if not most brands of Bay Rum. I have only ever stated what's true with Bootlegger's. My Bootlegger's Bay Rum, will compete with most other Bay Rums in scent and longevity of scent.

The last time I bought a bottle of ST. Johns Bay Rum was a decade ago. That bottle cost me $50 for 4 ounces. A decade ago, you could purchase a 12 ounce bottle of PVIBR for $7, a 15 ounce bottle of Master Bay Rum for $7 and a 12 ounce bottle of Superior 70 Bay Rum for $1.50

That was 36 ounces of Bootlegger's Bay Rum which would easily be a lifetime supply, for only $15.50. That was a decade ago and prices were lower then than now. But I'm sure other brands are more expensive now as well. The price of obtaining drugstore AS's and mixing them is cheaper by the ounce and the end amount you can have compared to many artisan brands.

I would not mix an artisan aftershave. Expensive aftershaves should not need mixing? Because they are... more expensive? For the money, they should probably do and be as advertised?

I also would never mix Pinaud's Original Clubman aftershave. That would be what I call 'aftershave sacrilege.' Clubman is a classic aftershave that has been famous for well over a 100 years, it is absolutely perfect just the way it is. Mixing aftershaves that are classics is an insult. They became classic's for a reason. Aqua Velva is a classic, I wouldn't mix it. Skin Bracer is a classic, which I do mix, but mixing it with Osage Rub, doesn't change it's color or scent, just magnifies it's cooling abilities. Once the Menthol and eucalyptus evaporates? You are left with the smooth and famous vanilla and lavender fragrance of classic Skin Bracer, just with a very cold face. Hence the name, 'Green Freeze.' :)

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Bootlegger's Bay Rum is a regular in my aftershave splash rotation. Give it a mix...you'll be glad you did.

Now...one other thing in reference to your original post. You mentioned that the barber had St. John's Bay Rum? Whoa! That's an expensive Bay Rum splash. You're right though...it does smell nice. You should try Ogallala Bay Rum Extra Strength. It has a very, very similar scent profile and it has legs...it's stronger than St. John's.

Bootlegger's Bay Rum is a regular in my aftershave splash rotation. Give it a mix...you'll be glad you did.

Now...one other thing in reference to your original post. You mentioned that the barber had St. John's Bay Rum? Whoa! That's an expensive Bay Rum splash. You're right though...it does smell nice. You should try Ogallala Bay Rum Extra Strength. It has a very, very similar scent profile and it has legs...it's stronger than St. John's.
That’s good to know. I always wanted to try st. Johns because it seems so well regarded. But, because of the price, I knew that was never going to happen cause I’m such a cheap bastard.
Ive pretty much settled on Ogallala as my staple bay rums.

Thanks for the link...I'm a Bay Rum nutjob...ordered!

You can tell how much I hate their products:

KIMG0144.JPG

I used their shave soap and balm this morning for a face and head shave. Absolutely love the smell and ingredient list.

Top Bottom