What's new

Question about Bootlegger's

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I guess I should update this thread...

Last night I finally mixed together my first bottle of Bootlegger's Bay Rum. I like the scent so much that I brought it to the office to reapply.

The scent is flat-out amazing. I am terrible at describing scent, but what I perceive is a base of bay, with tobacco flower, clove, hints of some sweet scent like nutmeg... It is the best Bay Rum I have ever smelled. It is the first aftershave in over 15 years of wetshaving where I am impulsively rubbing my face and shirt just to get another whiff of the scent.

What @OkieStubble has said about synergy is 100% correct. As I was waiting for all of the ingredients to get here, I tried them each individually. His analysis is spot-on. Master's is too tacky, PVIBR too clovey/burney, and S70 is wonderful if plain. The three mixed are much more than the sum of the parts.

I am happy to report that I recently purchased the last known gallon bottle of Master's. I am still trying to source Vito's colonia tobacco. That enterprise is almost sure to fail, but, it's worth trying for a long shot. If anybody knows of a source please let me know!!!

Last edited:

Last night I finally mixed together my first bottle of Bootlegger's Bay Rum. I like the scent so much that I brought it to the office to reapply.

The scent is flat-out amazing. I am terrible at describing scent, but what I perceive is a base of bay, with tobacco flower, clove, hints of some sweet scent like nutmeg... It is the best Bay Rum I have ever smelled. It is the first aftershave in over 15 years of wetshaving where I am impulsively rubbing my face and shirt just to get another whiff of the scent.

What @OkieStubble has said about synergy is 100% correct. As I was waiting for all of the ingredients to get here, I tried them each individually. His analysis is spot-on. Master's is too tacky, PVIBR too clovey/burney, and S70 is wonderful if plain. The three mixed are much more than the sum of the parts.

I am happy to report that I recently purchased the last known gallon bottle of Master's. I am still trying to source Vito's colonia tobacco. That enterprise is almost sure to fail, but, it's worth trying for a long shot. If anybody knows of a source please let me know!!!

Czech, Argh, glad that you've jumped in ta da Bay Rum bay, Matey!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

If you like it now, just wait until it ages a bit. :)

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
If you like it now, just wait until it ages a bit. :)
It a fit of manic exuberance, I mixed some lime bay rum and splashed it on tonight.

WOW

The addition of citrus musk, rather than a traditional lime aftershave, really gives it some refinement.

Off the bat I don't like it quite as much as the rich, sophisticated powerhouse that is original. I expect it to mature over the next few weeks...

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
It a fit of manic exuberance, I mixed some lime bay rum and splashed it on tonight.

WOW

The addition of citrus musk, rather than a traditional lime aftershave, really gives it some refinement.

Off the bat I don't like it quite as much as the rich, sophisticated powerhouse that is original. I expect it to mature over the next few weeks...

It’s important to mix LBR in exact equal proportions…. Once the ingredients have time to marry each other? :)

Instead of the normal run of the mill, dark and earthy lime bay rums. There are plenty of those around already.

I was going for something different, light, airy and bright? Bootlegger’s LBR is more of a ‘fizzy pop!’ lime bay rum full of summer brightness! :)

It smells just like the picture!

IMG_0219.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom