What's new

Quest for less technology

Ok, did a head shave with some more goodies @blethenstrom sent over and this time none other than his signature shaving soap BSS#1. The scent in this stuff is amazing! I absolutely love it. I am a side by gear and this brings out the best in me! :lol1:

Using the RR400B again and I had lather in no time at all. Thick rich slick lather. My Schick felt like skiing today. Residual slickness is wonderful too. My skin feels nourished and smooth. Nice post shave feel.

This was also the first time using a shave stick. That requires some additional skills for me at least. Felt a little strange, but fortunately my head stubble came to assist me and all was well. A damp 400 did the rest and baboom!! lather!!

Boris you give other soap makers a run for their money. This stuff is just great!!

Cheers y’all!

Guido

Way to go @ShavingPrimate !! And enjoy Boris! There are some excellent blades in that package like the Gillette Black (6th row far left) and the Dorco Prime - in fact all Dorco’s he sent. O and Shark Chrome. An absolute favourite of mine!

As a matter of coincidence, I had a couple of blades left over at the end of 2022, with four shaves on each blade.

I had set them aside to do the 2023 One Blade One Week challenge.

They have been following me around ever since. I decided to break them out and do three more shaves with each of them this week.

They are the Dorco ST300 / ST301 and the Dorco Prime.

I just shaved with the Prime this morning. As it's 5th shave, it was wonderfully close and smooth. A bit ahead of the 300/301.

As a matter of coincidence, I had a couple of blades left over at the end of 2022, with four shaves on each blade.

I had set them aside to do the 2023 One Blade One Week challenge.

They have been following me around ever since. I decided to break them out and do three more shaves with each of them this week.

They are the Dorco ST300 / ST301 and the Dorco Prime.

I just shaved with the Prime this morning. As it's 5th shave, it was wonderfully close and smooth. A bit ahead of the 300/301.
I love me some Dorco Prime in the morning myself!

Ok, did a head shave with some more goodies @blethenstrom sent over and this time none other than his signature shaving soap BSS#1. The scent in this stuff is amazing! I absolutely love it. I am a side by gear and this brings out the best in me! :lol1:

Using the RR400B again and I had lather in no time at all. Thick rich slick lather. My Schick felt like skiing today. Residual slickness is wonderful too. My skin feels nourished and smooth. Nice post shave feel.

This was also the first time using a shave stick. That requires some additional skills for me at least. Felt a little strange, but fortunately my head stubble came to assist me and all was well. A damp 400 did the rest and baboom!! lather!!

Boris you give other soap makers a run for their money. This stuff is just great!!

Cheers y’all!

Guido
I am so happy that you liked it. It is hard to know unless someone else tries it out. Besides you it is just a a friend of mine who straight and DE shaves that has tried it and he likes it. Next time I make it I will make a bit larger batch so I can share a bit more around.

Also no need to worry. I do not perform any animal testing of any my soaps. the only testing done was performed on a hairy beast named Boris that I found lurking around. Although trying to shave your dog using shave soap and brush would be quite the funny thing to watch, I am not going to lie.

Evening shave - 5/20/24
Razor: Merkur 41C
Blade: Ladas Stainless Steel (2/5) (2)
Soap: BSS #1
Brush: Omega 81052 Banded Boar
Aftershave: Stetson Cooling Moisture
Rating: 9/10, DFS+
A bit rougher shave last night than previous one. My lather was not up to par and I probably was a bit heavy handed. I had a bit of skin tightness and sensitivity under my jawline. Still quite the close shave and very respectable.

Tried a few new things during last night's shave. I was aiming for a thinner, slicker lather, but I think in my efforts in accomplishing that I caused myself more problems than good. I think the lather quality suffered and so did I in the form of irritation so I will not do that again.

I also flipped the blade in the razor 180 degrees to rule out any blade inconsistencies regarding one side feeling more aggressive than the other. Sure enough the aggressiveness followed the razor and not the blade which is what suspected. One side is clearly more efficient than the other on it. Now I have been taking a bit advantage of this during my shaves, but seem to favor the efficient side so that blade edge gets more use. I may have to flip the blade here and there to even out the wear.

May your wildest shaving dreams come true........

Evening shave - 5/21/24
Blade: Ladas Stainless Steel (2/5) (3)
Brush: RazoRock RR400
Rating: 8.5/10, DFS+
This razor seems to be a bit of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde to me. It feels quite mild, but it is causing me irritation and at an increasing amount. I may have to swap to a different one for the rest of the week. Anyways, the shave was ok. I did stir up two weepers, but it was a plenty close shave.

I have a hard time to pin down this razor. It is at times feeling nice and mild and the next moment it feels rough. I will most likely set this one aside and try something different for a bit. It does shave me pretty decent, but I have to do my part. I do not feel that it is an easy razor to use and it does takes some skill to wield. I am actually a bit surprised at that.

I'm off work on Friday and we are heading up to WV to attend my niece's wedding. We moved down here to the Raleigh, NC area back in 2016 from there. I used to live about 20 min from historic Harpers Ferry, WV and I actually used to take the commuter train from the historic Harpers Ferry train station to Rockville, MD. I did that for seven year. It is a really cool area. I am looking forward going back visiting and hopefully see some friends as well. Now I would be lying that I will not look forward having ice cream at the ice cream place that we used to go to! It probably is good that I do not have an ice cream place like that close by where I live now. Ice Cream is my vice.

May the shave be with you........always

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Evening shave - 5/21/24
Blade: Ladas Stainless Steel (2/5) (3)
Rating: 8.5/10, DFS+
This razor seems to be a bit of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde to me. It feels quite mild, but it is causing me irritation and at an increasing amount. I may have to swap to a different one for the rest of the week. Anyways, the shave was ok. I did stir up two weepers, but it was a plenty close shave.

I have a hard time to pin down this razor. It is at times feeling nice and mild and the next moment it feels rough. I will most likely set this one aside and try something different for a bit. It does shave me pretty decent, but I have to do my part. I do not feel that it is an easy razor to use and it does takes some skill to wield. I am actually a bit surprised at that.

I'm off work on Friday and we are heading up to WV to attend my niece's wedding. We moved down here to the Raleigh, NC area back in 2016 from there. I used to live about 20 min from historic Harpers Ferry, WV and I actually used to take the commuter train from the historic Harpers Ferry train station to Rockville, MD. I did that for seven year. It is a really cool area. I am looking forward going back visiting and hopefully see some friends as well. Now I would be lying that I will not look forward having ice cream at the ice cream place that we used to go to! It probably is good that I do not have an ice cream place like that close by where I live now. Ice Cream is my vice.

May the shave be with you........always
There must be something strange going on with your Merkur 41C and RR Quick Change. We all know that I’m an idiot with a razor in my hand, but the equivalent razors I have to yours (Merkur 15C and Baili TTO) are what saved me from throwing all my DE stuff in the trash and going back to cartridges because they were so easy to use, mild, and caused no irritation.

May your wildest shaving dreams come true........
I tell ya, if that ever happened I'd be in some serious and I mean SERIOUS trouble. HooBoy!

giphy-31.gif

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Triggered a barely awake memory about some Taylor Swift lyrics, @huck1680

In her song “Wildest Dreams,” she sings “you should see the things we do”

I take that to mean some sort of sensual fantasy like holding hands or dancing cheek to cheek - you know, stuff like that.

My guess is Ms. Swift is actually dreaming about forcing her non-famous, non-rich male fans to toil ceaselessly in a sweat shop making merchandise for the remainder of her fan base.

There must be something strange going on with your Merkur 41C and RR Quick Change. We all know that I’m an idiot with a razor in my hand, but the equivalent razors I have to yours (Merkur 15C and Baili TTO) are what saved me from throwing all my DE stuff in the trash and going back to cartridges because they were so easy to use, mild, and caused no irritation.
I know it is really strange. Now I did come off my high of using the Swing SB which is one smooth operator....ops here we go again.
I was saying... oh yes Swing being a smooth operator and the difference to the Merkur 41C. I do not know. Now and I did have some of the same issues with the 41C last time I used it as well.

The RR Quick Change TTO is puzzling to me as well and I have been thinking about it lately and I think I will give it another go before I give up on it. I have not used it in a long time so we will see if I have changed and can better handle it.

It is amazing how we see razors so differently. That is kind of like the Leaf Twig that I was gifted. It barely can shave me. Others get great shaves from it. Albeit it is a mild razor, but for me it is unusable mild.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I know it is really strange. Now I did come off my high of using the Swing SB which is one smooth operator....ops here we go again.
I was saying... oh yes Swing being a smooth operator and the difference to the Merkur 41C. I do not know. Now and I did have some of the same issues with the 41C last time I used it as well.

The RR Quick Change TTO is puzzling to me as well and I have been thinking about it lately and I think I will give it another go before I give up on it. I have not used it in a long time so we will see if I have changed and can better handle it.

It is amazing how we see razors so differently. That is kind of like the Leaf Twig that I was gifted. It barely can shave me. Others get great shaves from it. Albeit it is a mild razor, but for me it is unusable mild.
Love Sade. :thumbup1:

Morning shave - 5/23/24
Razor: RazoRock Quick-Change TTO
Blade: Ladas Stainless Steel (2/5) (4)
I brought back a trouble maker razor this morning, but I actually had quite a nice shave with it. This razors sports quite the feedback, which many times is a sign of a poorly supported blade and maybe that is why this razor has not been the best for me. I did end up with just a little bit of post shave skin sensitivity. Close enough for it's intended purpose though.

I did get up 15 min early this morning and that worked out great. It gave me enough time for a normal leisurely shave. It did not even feel like I was going without any more sleep really. Easy peasy, lemon squeasy!

I decided to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire regarding razors this morning. I have been testing out this razor on two different occasions before and the results had not been stellar, but not horrible, running away screaming, either. It seems like post shave skin tightness, sensitivity is the name of the game for this razor and it was no different this time around. Below you can see my logs for the prior shaves with this razor.
1716464191215.png

I even have used blades that are known for smoothness in the Personna blades and it still gave me a bit issues. Shave quality is what it is and it has been a fair blade so far. Some shaves has been better than others. It is not a razor that is like aggressive or anything, upper mild range I would say. I honestly think that the blade is not well supported in this razor. The audible feedback is substantial which seems to be an indication of this as well. I will use it for a bit more, but I probably will not keep this razor long term.

I have embarked on a challenge that may prove to be very difficult. This is a challenge to use the infamous 3-piece Assured for men razor WITH the supplied blades for an entire week. These are sold by Dollar Tree for $1.25 each and I did buy like two of these a good while and have not had the courage to try them out. These are known to be shall we say, cheese slicer sized, gapped razors. Out dear friend @cranewarrior has also accepted the challenge. Now if you do not own one of these fine specimen of a razor. The OP will send you one so you can participate. Here is the thread in question A Few Good Men, Redux. $1.25 razor challenge… are you with us.......?
Read World Cup GIF by World Rugby

May the shave be with you.....always

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Morning shave - 5/23/24
Razor: RazoRock Quick-Change TTO
Blade: Ladas Stainless Steel (2/5) (4)
I brought back a trouble maker razor this morning, but I actually had quite a nice shave with it. This razors sports quite the feedback, which many times is a sign of a poorly supported blade and maybe that is why this razor has not been the best for me. I did end up with just a little bit of post shave skin sensitivity. Close enough for it's intended purpose though.
Something may actually be off with your Quick Change because my Baili has some of the best blade clamping of all my razors--even better than the cantilever designs (e.g., EJ 89). The razor does have lots of audible feedback because it's so light and hollow, but the clamping is good.

How hard are you tightening the knob on the bottom? I go until it feels like it's stopping, and then I give it one last torque, which may be about 1/8 of a turn. The blade is clamped like the sword in the stone. Perhaps I'm over-tightening mine, which is a major razor no-no, but that's how I get the blade clamped firmly.

Top Bottom