What's new

Newbie story

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking for a couple of months and figured it was time to post, as I have finally jumped fully in to the safety razor experience. I imagine my story is somewhat similar to many others’ here, but here goes:

For most of my adult life and a little before that (age 16-35) I had a full beard and would only shave my neck and cheeks 1-2x/week. After using an electric shaver for a few years from 13 or 14-16 or 17, I transitioned to cartridge razors. At age 20, my uncle gifted me a Vulfix brush and some Crabtree & Evelyn “Nomad” soap, which started my journey into quasi-wet shaving. Over the years I have used various shave soaps, though I continued using cartridge razors (Harry’s for the last 5 years or so) until about 2 weeks ago.

I almost pulled the trigger about 3.5 years ago, when our daughter was about 8 months old. My wife, whom I had been with for about 9 years at the time (married for 4 of those years), randomly told me that she didn’t like my beard anymore and thought I should shave it off. Being a lawyer with frequent court appearances, I figured it wasn’t the worst idea, so I shaved it off one day and haven’t looked back (although sometimes I do miss it, particularly when skiing or snowboarding). While this drastic change should have been the perfect time to pivot, and I had convinced myself that it was time, we moved across the country about a month after I shaved off the beard to be closer to family. The whirlwind of buying a home, basically starting over our careers, managing a little one, and other life things just got in the way and conspired to make me push things off further.

A couple of weeks ago, I finally decided that enough was enough. I wasn’t happy with the Harry’s blades and was standing at Costco considering whether I should buy their Harry’s razor and blades package even though I didn’t enjoy the shave, just because it seemed silly to me to spend ~$2/cartridge and feel like it was a good deal. At that point I decided I was going to commit to a DE razor and figure it out. While I have long been intrigued by safety razors and somewhat romanticized what the experience could be, I always found some excuse to put it off, too little time, too little space in a city apartment, difficulty disposing of blades safely, etc. etc.

That night I ordered a RazoRock Game Changer .68 DE razor and a sampler pack of blades and I am now kicking myself for waiting so long. I have since had several incredible shaves and have yet to cut myself with the GC, which I feel is just an fantastic razor.

Knowing myself, I am sure this hobby will quickly grow into an obsession. I know that I will tinker with blades, soaps, brushes, heads, etc. but I am telling myself that the GC can be my go-to razor for life and that I can just order a couple of the other heads to satisfy the itch. We’ll see how that goes.

Enough rambling, that’s my story. I am looking forward to sharing in this community and thank you all for your contributions. I’m happy to be here!

Fordfather

Staff member
Hello everyone,

I have been lurking for a couple of months and figured it was time to post, as I have finally jumped fully in to the safety razor experience. I imagine my story is somewhat similar to many others’ here, but here goes:

For most of my adult life and a little before that (age 16-35) I had a full beard and would only shave my neck and cheeks 1-2x/week. After using an electric shaver for a few years from 13 or 14-16 or 17, I transitioned to cartridge razors. At age 20, my uncle gifted me a Vulfix brush and some Crabtree & Evelyn “Nomad” soap, which started my journey into quasi-wet shaving. Over the years I have used various shave soaps, though I continued using cartridge razors (Harry’s for the last 5 years or so) until about 2 weeks ago.

I almost pulled the trigger about 3.5 years ago, when our daughter was about 8 months old. My wife, whom I had been with for about 9 years at the time (married for 4 of those years), randomly told me that she didn’t like my beard anymore and thought I should shave it off. Being a lawyer with frequent court appearances, I figured it wasn’t the worst idea, so I shaved it off one day and haven’t looked back (although sometimes I do miss it, particularly when skiing or snowboarding). While this drastic change should have been the perfect time to pivot, and I had convinced myself that it was time, we moved across the country about a month after I shaved off the beard to be closer to family. The whirlwind of buying a home, basically starting over our careers, managing a little one, and other life things just got in the way and conspired to make me push things off further.

A couple of weeks ago, I finally decided that enough was enough. I wasn’t happy with the Harry’s blades and was standing at Costco considering whether I should buy their Harry’s razor and blades package even though I didn’t enjoy the shave, just because it seemed silly to me to spend ~$2/cartridge and feel like it was a good deal. At that point I decided I was going to commit to a DE razor and figure it out. While I have long been intrigued by safety razors and somewhat romanticized what the experience could be, I always found some excuse to put it off, too little time, too little space in a city apartment, difficulty disposing of blades safely, etc. etc.

That night I ordered a RazoRock Game Changer .68 DE razor and a sampler pack of blades and I am now kicking myself for waiting so long. I have since had several incredible shaves and have yet to cut myself with the GC, which I feel is just an fantastic razor.

Knowing myself, I am sure this hobby will quickly grow into an obsession. I know that I will tinker with blades, soaps, brushes, heads, etc. but I am telling myself that the GC can be my go-to razor for life and that I can just order a couple of the other heads to satisfy the itch. We’ll see how that goes.

Enough rambling, that’s my story. I am looking forward to sharing in this community and thank you all for your contributions. I’m happy to be here!
Awesome story! We're happy to have you with us and we look forward to your future contributions!

Thank you! The more I use the GC the more I love it.

The GC.68P is good, and I enjoyed it for a long time before escalating, probably 2020. At first, I thought the GC.84P was horribly aggressive, but after using it for a few weeks, it abruptly became docile, and is now my favourite.

Nowadays you can split the difference — they released a GC.76P plate! I'm mildly interested in trying one, but the 84 is the best thing I have shaved with, so far.

You can simulate the .76 experience by shimming your .68 with one used blade, with its edges trimmed off.

Last edited:
The GC.68P is good, and I enjoyed it for a long time before escalating, probably 2020. At first, I thought the GC.84P was horribly aggressive, but after using it for a few weeks, it abruptly became docile, and is now my favourite.

Nowadays you can split the difference — they released a GC.76P plate! I'm mildly interested in trying one, but the 84 is the best thing I have shaved with, so far.

You can simulate the .76 experience by shimming your .68 with one used blade, with its edges trimmed off.
Great idea with the shim! I’ll have to give that a try once I’m ready.

Top Bottom