What's new

Quest for less technology

There's a reason why we called Statistics Sadistic in college. I lack a minor in chemistry because the class I needed was Quantitative Analysis. I signed up for it and quickly dropped it when I saw it was more math than chemistry. You fellas carry on, I'll be sitting on the sideline thinking "I need a few fingers of whiskey to keep up."

Of course, but you can also get some useful information from it as well. You just have to interpret the data appropriately and not read into it things that are not there or is completely unrelated.
No if we would do that GSB would be the best blade in the world no matter what razor you would use and no matter how many passes.

And doing that the same would be true for a Tiger Platinum!

:lol:

Ok, Geek Mode Overdrive - you know what all these statistics also enable? Doing statistical comparisons between razors and blades to see if they are statistically different from each other. ANOVA or MANOVA should be able to handle that. Chances are some differences are way less than our intuition leads us to believe.

Edit: unfortunately Excel doesn't have those formulas out of the box. I have them available on my work laptop - but not on my home one. I need to install R for this!

Anthony Edwards Comedy GIF

Last edited:
Ok, Geek Mode Overdrive - you know what all these statistics also enable? Doing statistical comparisons between razors and blades to see if they are statistically different from each other. ANOVA or MANOVA should be able to handle that. Chances are some differences are way less than our intuition leads us to believe.

Edit: unfortunately Excel doesn't have those formulas out of the box. I have them available on my work laptop - but not on my home one. I need to install R for this!

Whiskey Chaps GIF by Barstool Sports

Now you are entering a geek zone that even my engineer mind has not travelled.

I believe Razorock Mentor is the same as Maggard V3A, which I like so much I bought a second one in another finish. It’s also the same head as Yintal Bronze.
I have a similar head Maggard V3A might be just the same model, I like the feel of the blade on my face but I wouldn't call it aggressive.
I owned the Yintal in bronze and I remember it was quite ugly and aggressive.

As sensations very different from each other.

perhaps think of getting another copy so you don’t have to deal with alignment issues. They are pretty inexpensive and fantastic shavers.

What head would you recommend similar to Maggard V3A? Would a Yaqi Cobbled be the same?

Same here, I'll always prefer an elegant narrative over numbers. Even if the narrative is contradicted by the numbers 😂
I’m an engineer, this means I am driven by numbers. But I also know how easy it is to manipulate or misinterpret the data. So, it always starts with examining the data source, quality, and completeness. But once you get a good dataset that you trust, it always wins over any narrative … well, 99.9% of time.

My favorite college teacher was a statistics guy. Made it seem like fun. Brutal tests, though.
I have a similar head Maggard V3A might be just the same model, I like the feel of the blade on my face but I wouldn't call it aggressive.
I owned the Yintal in bronze and I remember it was quite ugly and aggressive.

As sensations very different from each other.

What head would you recommend similar to Maggard V3A? Would a Yaqi Cobbled be the same?

It’s funny as I bought Yintal Bronze five years ago and it was very close to V3A, really only a different finish. I wonder whether there was a lot of sample variation.

I would say that V3A is medium aggressive - that is, it’s not aggressive like R41, but not as mild as the post-war Tech or Baili BD176. Say, 5-6 from 1 to 10. And it’s very smooth.

I would definitely buy a stainless steel version if it was the same performance. That is one of my top 2 razors.

Top Bottom