What's new

Quarantine Shaving Blues

Am I the only one who’s shaving has gone to hell these past few weeks? Ever since our “lockdown” that has me home almost all day, everyday, my daily shaving routine has became a living hell. Razor burn EVERY DAY.

Look, I’m not a newbie, and up until just a few weeks ago I could effortlessly shave with just about any razor, blade, soap, cream and I have a substantial shave den to support all that. But now? Every shave is an epic disaster of burning cheeks and chin all day long. I’ve even had to resort to ice on my face to calm it at times.

The best I can do right now is shave every other day with the mildest razor and blade that I own (Tech with Astra SP or gasp, a Feather Neo cartridge) and a very mild soap like MWF. I used to shave every day with a 37C and a Feather blade with a ton of different soaps and creams in my rotation, no problems. WTH?? I’m at my wits end here.

This all seems to have started with razor burn from my first attempts with a new Mergress, which I finally ditched, but now it’s like I can’t seem to get my face back to normal.

This all seems to have started with razor burn from my first attempts with a new Mergress, which I finally ditched...

Wow. I probably got the best shave of the lockdown this morning with a Vintage Merkur Progress. Wonder what your difficulty with the Mergress was.

My shaves have remained pretty much the same. If there is a difference, I am skipping my Sunday shave...no church attendance during the COVID lockdown.

Wow. I probably got the best shave of the lockdown this morning with a Vintage Merkur Progress. Wonder what your difficulty with the Mergress was.

I’m thinking one problem was too much pressure due to the weight of the razor - the Megress is pretty heavy so where you grip the razor can have a big influence on the pressure if you‘re “letting the weight of the razor do the work.”

Another problem was that for some reason I struggled to find the right angle.

And lastly, it seemed a surprisingly aggressive razor with plenty of blade exposure. I managed to gash my neck early on when searching for the right angle. I kept reading where guys said the handle was nearly parallel to their face for them. Not so for me.

But, I think I really irritated my skin with that razor and I’ve just not been patient enough to let it recover before trying something else leading to further irritation.

Stress from the pandemic along with a Mergress that didn’t help you, are two separate factors causing your issues I think. I’ve had my fair share of issues just using the wrong blade! I have been lucky during the pandemic, as I have not been experimenting at all during this time, with nothing dangerous at least.

Give your face a break from shaving for 2-3 days, I know that sounds crazy especially if you shave every day, but giving your face time to heal will let you retreat to a “safe” set of gear with minimal risk of irritation.

Good shaves and skin recovery also depend on the overall situation of our bodies:
Not getting enough sun
Change in diet
Dehydration
Stress etc.

There are a lot of things at play and since you are a seasoned shaver with various tools that you know how to use and get good shaves with...is time to look elsewhere for the culprit.

Just my 2 cents.

My first couple of shaves with the progress were less than stellar. Not irritation, but cuts galore. But the next time I put it in rotation, I figured it out. Not sure what my adjustment was, but I let the audible feedback guide my optimal angle. Skip a couple days shave, your Mergress should sing.

Gafer, that news is a bummer. It stinks when something you enjoy and have skill at hits a funk. Take your time to recover and get back on your streak. It’s a little like a baseball or softball player in a slump, the player starts to put too much pressure on themselves to get out of the slump. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to hearing when you have conquered this short episode of irritation and unhappy shaves. “You can do it!” - The Waterboy

I’m thinking one problem was too much pressure due to the weight of the razor - the Megress is pretty heavy so where you grip the razor can have a big influence on the pressure if you‘re “letting the weight of the razor do the work.”

And lastly, it seemed a surprisingly aggressive razor with plenty of blade exposure. I managed to gash my neck early on when searching for the right angle. I kept reading where guys said the handle was nearly parallel to their face for them. Not so for me.

But, I think I really irritated my skin with that razor and I’ve just not been patient enough to let it recover before trying something else leading to further irritation.

I think you're right on the money. I broke out with a bad case of the irritation blues after giving my boar brush yet another chance (this time I mean it, I am never going back to boar) following the March Madness. The blues stuck around for a couple shaves, but cleared up after I forced myself to take three or four days off; I have not had issues since and am back to near-daily shaving. The good news is that your 37C will have no issue taking down several days' worth of growth.

I think you're right on the money. I broke out with a bad case of the irritation blues after giving my boar brush yet another chance (this time I mean it, I am never going back to boar) following the March Madness. The blues stuck around for a couple shaves, but cleared up after I forced myself to take three or four days off; I have not had issues since and am back to near-daily shaving. The good news is that your 37C will have no issue taking down several days' worth of growth.
I am going take two or three days without shaving to let my face recover and then see what happens. I was wondering what it will take to mow through that many days growth without irritation. The 37C is probably the ticket. Thanks.

I have never had a problem with the Progress and set about #3 seems to do the job. At that setting it is near a Merkur 34C so not aggressive and the weight makes no difference to me even though it is a little heavier than the 34C and 37C. I am doubtful the razor is the problem, it is the change in routine that is at issue.
Perhaps a couple of days off shaving will let the skin inflamation subside.

Gafer, you know almost anything will mow down three days of growth. Might take a couple extra passes. And think about it, going nice and steady and slow with lots of rinsing is really doing your skin no harm. So in a couple or few days, just load up your most comfortable rig and enjoy.

Now for my armchair pondering, quite a few people mentioned the sudden and drastic change in routine. With all the stresses that go with it. Change in routine, in diet, maybe change in the amount of exercise you do? I don't know you, I could be way off. But I've been in enough prolonged stressful situations and had enough sudden dramatic shocks to routine to know how big a role physical and mental activity both play in total health. I've also seen physical reactions to mental stresses vary so wildly across the board! So, again without knowing anything beyond you're a good man with a razor otherwise, between having whatever extra on your mind plus maybe the body's chemical defense against intense unknowns, it's not impossible.

Or you have the yips. It happens, it sucks, your baseball card isn't worth as much this year. But you get through it and move onto your best season yet.

Thanks guys. I have been wondering if anxiety or stress may be at play here too. I even read a few things that indicated that a burning skin sensation can be a manifestation of anxiety. I went through the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey in Texas and had a lot on my plate professionally for many weeks after the storm. However, as stressful as that was, I’d go back and do it all over again if I could trade it for this pan-damn-ick. But, through all that my shaves were fine. I will skip tomorrow’s shave too and then see if I think my skin is ready to get back on the horse.

Are you sure you put your mergress together properly? Sounds silly but the razor top cap can only be put on facing one direction. There is a mark on it that shows which direction it is supposed to go.

Yeah, I checked it again and again and again. But it doesn’t matter what razor I use, my face still burns. Ive quit using it. If I lay out a day and use a different razor the burn comes back. This time I’m laying out for at least two days but it won’t be the Mergress I try.

My skin is definitely suffering a bit from the inactive lifestyle and somewhat poor eating habits but I'm still getting good shaves regardless. Maybe you're shaving too often?

And I thought I was going crazy...... I have had some burning with my fav blades and razors recently. Thought I lost my mind.... Last night was horrible....head and face shave....burning HELL. Did not press too much: ASTRA SP (2).

Will try next shave RR OC 0.84 w Nacet again (faves).

During this pandemic, I've begun to enjoy my daily shaves more than ever. Perhaps it's because I'm no longer in a rush to get to the commuter train to get to the office. Or that the comfort of daily rituals has more meaning. Who knows?

I plan to use my Mergress razor tomorrow, inspired by this thread. Everyone, be safe, and know that you're not alone.

Are you sure you put your mergress together properly? Sounds silly but the razor top cap can only be put on facing one direction. There is a mark on it that shows which direction it is supposed to go.
And I thought I was going crazy...... I have had some burning with my fav blades and razors recently. Thought I lost my mind.... Last night was horrible....head and face shave....burning HELL. Did not press too much: ASTRA SP (2).

Will try next shave RR OC 0.84 w Nacet again (faves).
Let me know @xiletero. It’s been nuts the last few weeks. Like I’ve forgotten how to shave or something.

I just did a different shave after reading the post.
Got an R89 (i don usually use these mild razors) but added a Feather 1 (actually 1st time i ever use them).
Soap was Stirling mint + eucaliptus (used x1, I did not like the smell nor the lather), Omega mighty midget. Everything I used today I dont use regularly
Shave was 3 passes, was average, but had less burning than yesterday w the Astra (which I tossed).
Will try same razor and blade tomorrow but w nice soap and brush.
Cheers and keep shaving.....

Top Bottom