What's new

Puma and Tiger razors, and the mindset of a straight razor collector

If one of your great passions in life is history and you happen to start with straight razor shaving it’s more or less impossible not to fall into the rabbit hole. At least I did, but that was years ago and after a few years of feverish hunting I had found just about all the razors I wanted and I had a plan in my madness. Part of my plan was to find a few (meaning as many as possible) Puma razors. These Solingen razors combines the best of the Solingen and Eskilstuna straight razors traditions. They are elegant but (with a couple of exceptions) sombre. No gold, no etching and most often black scales with the Puma logotype in silver. The quality always was first class and they have quite some heft to them even the full hollow ones. To me they are the love child of two great razor traditions.

The Puma razors were made by the Lauterjung family. They introduced the Puma brand in 1922, but before that the same razors were made under the name of Tiger. Very few Lauterjung Tiger razors remain to this day, but those few lucky ones that manage to find one usually states that they are even better than those later sold as Puma. The Tiger razors look very modern today and they must have been truly futuristic 100 years ago.

I had one very appreciated Tiger razor, but for years I’ve been on the hunt for another. Specifically Tiger No.37, that later was produced as Puma No.52 one of the best Puma razors. To me it was the hunt for the missing piece of the puzzle, to physically verify the link between Tiger and Puma, a crown jewel in my collection. I had a search on eBay for years and a few weeks ago I got a hit on a 37 being sold for a fixed price. I bought it in the blink of an eye.

There aren’t many razors left on my “must have list”. Actually after this one it’s only Heljestrand M.K. No.33. Then again I'm pretty thankful for the ones I've already got.

20190416_165309.jpg
20190416_172616.jpg

They might be simple, but they’re gorgeous. It’s fun when you land on the missing link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the simple, understated design and am not a follower of “more is more” when it comes to flash and frills.
I love the edges of the steel and flow of the blades crossed with the functionality of the finger hole and properly done jimping. And I’m not sure if it’s because it is what they always did in the movies but I love myself black scales as well.

*edit* that’s not to say I don’t love a set of ivory or tortoise scales ;-). I found an old Franklin with ivory a while back and and was amazed how well they hold up, and functioned despite being thin

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
If one of your great passions in life is history and you happen to start with straight razor shaving it’s more or less impossible not to fall into the rabbit hole. At least I did, but that was years ago and after a few years of feverish hunting I had found just about all the razors I wanted and I had a plan in my madness. Part of my plan was to find a few (meaning as many as possible) Puma razors. These Solingen razors combines the best of the Solingen and Eskilstuna straight razors traditions. They are elegant but (with a couple of exceptions) sombre. No gold, no etching and most often black scales with the Puma logotype in silver. The quality always was first class and they have quite some heft to them even the full hollow ones. To me they are the love child of two great razor traditions.

The Puma razors were made by the Lauterjung family. They introduced the Puma brand in 1922, but before that the same razors were made under the name of Tiger. Very few Lauterjung Tiger razors remain to this day, but those few lucky ones that manage to find one usually states that they are even better than those later sold as Puma. The Tiger razors look very modern today and they must have been truly futuristic 100 years ago.

I had one very appreciated Tiger razor, but for years I’ve been on the hunt for another. Specifically Tiger No.37, that later was produced as Puma No.52 one of the best Puma razors. To me it was the hunt for the missing piece of the puzzle, to physically verify the link between Tiger and Puma, a crown jewel in my collection. I had a search on eBay for years and a few weeks ago I got a hit on a 37 being sold for a fixed price. I bought it in the blink of an eye.

There aren’t many razors left on my “must have list”. Actually after this one it’s only Heljestrand M.K. No.33. Then again I'm pretty thankful for the ones I've already got.

View attachment 972886 View attachment 972887
Your rabbit hole is deep - very deep.

Those are some beauties Arne! Very classy. :clap::clap::clap:

I have a Tiger 83 that I picked up about a week into this madness. I had no idea what it was until you told me :001_smile. I also picked up a Friedmann & Lauterjung Celibrated Razor, I believe from the same place, no idea where it fits in.

Beautiful Arne

Thanks for the history, as I had no idea that Tiger and Puma were made by the same razor maker. Both of these are beautiful. I've been looking for a nice Tiger for a few years, and hopefully one will turn up. Congratulations on your new Tiger.

Beautiful, congratulations Arne! It’s always exciting when a search for a specific razor lies dormant for so long you almost forget about it until the stars align, calm yourself, quick once over glance, then pull the trigger. Sometimes you can’t reach into your pocket fast enough.

Woohoo :a17:. Awesome Arne!! Glad your found it!! And its a beautiful one!!

Oh and thanks for sharing the history :001_302:

Woohoo :a17:. Awesome Arne!! Glad your found it!! And its a beautiful one!!

Oh and thanks for sharing the history :001_302:
Thank you Dean. I deliberately waited to tell the story before I found the razor. These days there seems to be a rather strong relationship between what's posted here and the market price of the mentioned straight razors.
...Just between you and me, don't tell anyone, Swedish razors are garbage. I strongly advice you to sell yours before the scam is revealed.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Swedish razors are garbage. I strongly advice you to sell yours before the scam is revealed.

That is good to know. I do not need anything in my den that is junk. And who needs all that ivory anyway.

A question about Puma, is there any relationship between date of manufacturing and the color of the scales?? There is 12 in my den, black, butterscotch and faux tortoise shell. All are vintage without the control numbers on the blade like there modern cousins. Just the feel they give me is the dark are older and the tortoise are newer

That is good to know. I do not need anything in my den that is junk. And who needs all that ivory anyway.

A question about Puma, is there any relationship between date of manufacturing and the color of the scales?? There is 12 in my den, black, butterscotch and faux tortoise shell. All are vintage without the control numbers on the blade like there modern cousins. Just the feel they give me is the dark are older and the tortoise are newer
The ones that have scales of other colours than black are generally post WW2. Then again most Puma razors, regardless of age, had black scales. The best way to determine the age is by the Puma logo on the scales. The older the razor the more detailed logo. Unfortunately I don't have the exact years for each logotype, but in the picture below you can see them in chronological order sorted bottom up. I've also inserted pdf file with Puma razor catalogues from different years:
File:Puma logo 1.jpg - Shave Library
Note that the first one isn't from 1920, but from the mid twenties. I hope this was of some help.
Puma_logo_1.jpg

Both are stunning Arne!!! I did get a Tiger early on when I first started, but it is nowhere near as beautiful as yours mate.....

Top Bottom