What's new

Puck Longevity

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm almost to the bottom of an MdC jar and I've been keeping track of my usage so I know what it actually cost.

Do you have a reasonably good estimate of how long a puck of anything lasts you? I know a lot of you rotate 157 soaps, so this would be a most difficult question, but if you have an idea could you please share?

Many thanks.

A puck of Williams lasted me 32 shaves. A tub of Razorock lasted 29 shaves. A tub of Stirling lasted me 42 shaves. And lastly a tub of TOBs cream lasted me 30.

Those are my 3017 adventures now I rotate

I usually use around half a gram of soap per shave, less with Williams or other hard soaps, so 60 shaves on a puck of Williams, around 250 on my home-made pucks that start out around 125 grams, and so forth.

Doesn't take much good soap to get a good three pass shave.

A puck of Williams lasted me 32 shaves. A tub of Razorock lasted 29 shaves. A tub of Stirling lasted me 42 shaves. And lastly a tub of TOBs cream lasted me 30.

Those are my 3017 adventures now I rotate

These results seem really low, you must load that brush like there's no tomorrow!

The only soap that I have started new and used exclusively was MB the Club. That lasted for 135 four pass shaves.

The only soap that I have started new and used exclusively was MB the Club. That lasted for 135 four pass shaves.

Actually, that is 135 four pass shaves on my face and neck and two pass shaves for my head. Looking at my spreadsheet I also got 78 such shaves from B&M Seville.

I've been on a 3/4 grated puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat for two months now and there's still a lot of puck left. I bet I'll still be on it 2 months from now.

Apparently, I'm a heavy loader since I went through a 60 g puck of Haslinger and a 150 g tub of RazoRock in 21 days each. Of course, my usage depends on how much I like a soap and how much I want to move on to the next one.

Do you have a reasonably good estimate of how long a puck of anything lasts you? I know a lot of you rotate 157 soaps, so this would be a most difficult question, but if you have an idea could you please share?

Sure. Based on my optimum masses for a few soaps (URL), I use about 0.9 g of soap per three-pass shave with very little waste. So, one ounce (28.35 g) of soap would last me just about a month of daily shaves. A typical 4 oz. jar would last me around 126 three-pass shaves.

Apparently, I'm a heavy loader since I went through a 60 g puck of Haslinger and a 150 g tub of RazoRock in 21 days each. Of course, my usage depends on how much I like a soap and how much I want to move on to the next one.

Whoa! That's some heavy loading! 7 g (or about 1/4 oz.) of soap per shave is a very large amount. Was that intentional? Are you making a massive amount of lather or do you like your lather super thick?

My guess (as I rarely stick with only one puck) is that I get 2-3 months from a puck of Haslinger's. I would classify myself as a moderately heavy loader. The soap takes so much water that it is very economical compared to many other soaps that I have tried.

Triple milled, tallow based soaps last longest. As an example, a 75g stick of Arko lasts anywhere between 90-100 shaves. I've heard that a 125g Tabac puck lasts over 180 shaves.

PdP was in a class by itself. 1) very hard soap; 2) didn’t need heavy brush loading to make plenty of lather

Very long lasting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

member 119848

Last year I used one puck of Tabac exclusively and I was impressed how long it lasted (almost a year) using a 21mm brush, shaving my face only, every 2 days.
Now that i have three new brushes (24mm, 26mm, and 28mm), I know that my soap consumption will increase, for sure. The 26mm and 28mm are a bit like driving V8 engines if brushes were to be compared to automobiles.

M

member 119848

correction: last year i consumed 1 puck of Tabac + 1 puck of Proraso. So a puck of 4 oz. (125g) would last me roughly 6 months.

I'm almost to the bottom of an MdC jar and I've been keeping track of my usage so I know what it actually cost.

Many thanks.

I've got a couple of MdC jars that seem to last forever. Out of curiosity, how many shaves has your jar given you?

Top Bottom