What's new

Newbie Questions - Between Shaves

So I am just staring on wet shaving. I am going to use a puck of vintage Williams. I have seen some videos / advice on B&B that say to soak the puck overnight on it's first use and then just 30 minutes or something on subsequent uses as it will already have some moisture. I plan to wet shave maybe once a week. Is there something you do with the puck between uses to keep it from drying out too much? Or do you just leave it in the bottom of the dry mug on the bathroom counter between uses?

I have similar questions for the brush. I am using a AP Shave Co synthetic with Synbad knot - not that I know what that means really. But do you do anything after shaving other than rinse the remaining lather/soap off of the brush and let it air dry sitting on the counter? I acquired a lightly used brush and it actually smells very nice - like it has talc in it. So I wasn't sure if that was something done for brush care or if it was just maybe last used to apply talc rather than a lather.

I have never used talc, so for those that do like to apply talc after shaving, do you do so with a separate brush from the one you just shaved with or do you just do so with your hands... or some other method?

Sorry for all the noob questions. Thank you!

My advice: don't over-think it.

I have a puck of Williams in an open mug hanging from a cup hook in my bathroom that gets used MAYBE once a year. I just grab a damp brush and load from the dry puck. You could put some water on the puck and let it soak for a bit, but I don't bother.

F

firebox

Don't overthink soap. Use the Williams. If you do, you'll probably like anything else. That said, there are so many soaps. You might look at the ads and find someone wanting to pass some along for a small price. It is a good way to try some different soaps. Its ok for soap to dry out. It is what is does. I've never heard of soaking soap overnight or even for a few minutes. I've only done this twenty + years, so I may not know the best practices. If you have a decent brush, wet it down with hot water and lather the soap. Using a bowl or cup helps.
Keep working the brush on your face to enhance to the lather. You'll see pucks and creams they can all be good. Brushes like everything else has a lineage from Ok to great. Depends on your budget and where you want to be.

Don't soak the puck. If the maker wanted it to be soft, they would have added more water. No need to add water to it before a shave or in between uses.

Rinse the brush with warm water, squeeze it, flick the water out, a couple swipes on a towel and let it sit on the counter until the next shave. Don't add talc, shampoo, conditioner or anything else to it.

I don't use talc for shaving purposes. I have a bottle I use after a run when I'm camping. I'll let you guess what body parts I use it on but I'll give you a hint, it's not my face. :a44:

Last edited:
That is called soap waterboarding and mostly illegal. When submerging a puck under water, always stick a plastic straw in it so it can breathe..
Hey... I hope you enjoy the shave...make it fun..
Remember, if you are not having fun....you are doing it wrong.
And never be cruel to a soap..lol
BFX
Welcome

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Like others have said, I would not soak any soap, nor do I bloom soaps before each use. I occasionally use vintage talcs after shaving and simply apply them by hand using very small amounts. I find no real benefit in using talc, I simply enjoy the process and have plenty, otherwise I would not bother. If you are concerned about the health aspects of talc then avoid vintage talc and instead use one made from corn starch.

Thanks for all the input! I got a great lather and a great shave!

Attachments

• Loaded Brush - 2-4-24.jpg
    Loaded Brush - 2-4-24.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 10
The nice smell your brush had when you got it was probably from whatever soap the previous owner used. I find that you can rinse a brush well and it will have a bit of the smell left the next time you use it. If you then use a different soap the smell on the brush will change a bit

So I am just staring on wet shaving. I am going to use a puck of vintage Williams. I have seen some videos / advice on B&B that say to soak the puck overnight on it's first use and then just 30 minutes or something on subsequent uses as it will already have some moisture. I plan to wet shave maybe once a week. Is there something you do with the puck between uses to keep it from drying out too much? Or do you just leave it in the bottom of the dry mug on the bathroom counter between uses?

I have similar questions for the brush. I am using a AP Shave Co synthetic with Synbad knot - not that I know what that means really. But do you do anything after shaving other than rinse the remaining lather/soap off of the brush and let it air dry sitting on the counter? I acquired a lightly used brush and it actually smells very nice - like it has talc in it. So I wasn't sure if that was something done for brush care or if it was just maybe last used to apply talc rather than a lather.

I have never used talc, so for those that do like to apply talc after shaving, do you do so with a separate brush from the one you just shaved with or do you just do so with your hands... or some other method?

Sorry for all the noob questions. Thank you!
Don’t need to soak it just get your brush wet and work it into a lather. Where did you find a puck of willams soap? It’s been discontinued for the past few years. I would hate to see the price for it today when I could get a puck of it for .95 cents in 1998

Last edited:
Don’t need to soak it just get your brush wet and work it into a lather. Where did you find a puck of willams soap? It’s been discontinued for the past few years. I would hate to see the price for it today when I could get a puck of it for .95 cents in 1998
I am a collector of vintage JB Williams stuff, so I had several pucks that I acquired when buying other Williams stuff. There is a group on B&B called Williams Institute for Shaving Excellence, aka W.I.S.E. (HA!). There is over a hundred pages of discussion about Williams shaves. Most of them say soak the puck because Williams needs a little more water that other soaps. Most just say soak the puck while you shower except for the first time when it should be soaked longer. Also, it was finally discontinued in 2022. And to that point, I think the average price of a puck was still under $2. But the formula did change around 2002 when Combe, Inc. bought Williams Mug Shaving Soap. They have said on the boards that the vintage (pre-2002) WMS did not require as much water as the new WMS. So maybe soaking it wasn't a thing for vintage WMS. Who knows. Anyway, thanks for the feedback! I got a great lather on my first shave. I think I may build a little longer next time though.
Loaded Brush - 2-4-24.jpg

Welcome aboard!

The Williams should be fine but since you shave infrequently, you might want to consider a shaving cream instead of a soap, maybe Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS, to the initiated). A shaving cream will stay moist and it may be easier to lather with.

I shave before showering, been know in pinch to use lather of body soap for my shave.

You only need a few things to shave.

Razor, sharp blade, soap, brush, and large coffee mug to make lather.

One guy told of making dots with silicon on bottom of coffee mug as dyi tweek.

Keep things simple. Learn by doing. U-Tube and reading forum are good.

But you can not master much by reading, or watching U-Tubes.

Got to just do it to learn to do anything well.

I am a collector of vintage JB Williams stuff, so I had several pucks that I acquired when buying other Williams stuff. There is a group on B&B called Williams Institute for Shaving Excellence, aka W.I.S.E. (HA!). There is over a hundred pages of discussion about Williams shaves. Most of them say soak the puck because Williams needs a little more water that other soaps. Most just say soak the puck while you shower except for the first time when it should be soaked longer. Also, it was finally discontinued in 2022. And to that point, I think the average price of a puck was still under $2. But the formula did change around 2002 when Combe, Inc. bought Williams Mug Shaving Soap. They have said on the boards that the vintage (pre-2002) WMS did not require as much water as the new WMS. So maybe soaking it wasn't a thing for vintage WMS. Who knows. Anyway, thanks for the feedback! I got a great lather on my first shave. I think I may build a little longer next time though.
View attachment 1792394
What do I know? I have only been shaving for 40 plus years and when I don’t have my beard grown out I shave everyday. Like I said what do I know there’s something new to learn everyday.

It was still just 99 cents a puck a little over two years ago at local supermarkets right before it was discontinued. Now listed for anything from $20 to $35 a puck. One B&Ber recently bought some for $20 a puck. Were you a Williams fan back when it was available? It was my first shaving soap when I returned to DE shaving 4+ years ago.

While a great value at under a buck per puck there are better options for far less than the current prices.

Top Bottom