What's new

Proraso Pre + QED Bay Rum = BURN

My SOTD this morning:

Proraso pre in the shower
QED Bay Rum shave stick
Merkur HD w/Feather
QED Da Vinci Water
Proraso ASB

The shave itself went fine, with the exception of one huge problem: the shave stick burned like a...well, let's just say that it burned a lot when I rubbed it on and lathered it on my face. :eek: :mad5:

After the first pass and a warm rinse, the second lathering (from the pile I had created in the bowl after lathering on my face) didn't sting at all. Either I had simply paralyzed my facial nerves and couldn't feel the second heat wave, or I have discovered one of three things:

A. I cannot use Proraso Pre before lathering with any QED stick because the concentration of EO is just too much for my skin to handle (N.B. the only other time I tried a stick, I hadn't used the Pre)

B. I cannot use Proraso Pre with the Bay Rum stick, but other sticks are fine because the clove oil is the problem

C. It's OK to use Proraso Pre with a Bay Rum stick as long as I lather in the bowl and not on my face, defeating the purpose of the stick

I'll have to test all of these scenarios out over the next few weeks.

Has anyone else experienced this? I haven't had a problem using Proraso Pre with two of Charles's soaps in the bowl, and Taylor's Avocado and Proraso cream (well, duh) haven't caused any problems to date.

pellicle said:
My SOTD this morning:

Proraso pre in the shower
QED Bay Rum shave stick
Merkur HD w/Feather
QED Da Vinci Water
Proraso ASB

The shave itself went fine, with the exception of one huge problem: the shave stick burned like a...well, let's just say that it burned a lot when I rubbed it on and lathered it on my face. :eek: :mad5:

After the first pass and a warm rinse, the second lathering (from the pile I had created in the bowl after lathering on my face) didn't sting at all. Either I had simply paralyzed my facial nerves and couldn't feel the second heat wave, or I have discovered one of three things:

A. I cannot use Proraso Pre before lathering with any QED stick because the concentration of EO is just too much for my skin to handle (N.B. the only other time I tried a stick, I hadn't used the Pre)

B. I cannot use Proraso Pre with the Bay Rum stick, but other sticks are fine because the clove oil is the problem

C. It's OK to use Proraso Pre with a Bay Rum stick as long as I lather in the bowl and not on my face, defeating the purpose of the stick

I'll have to test all of these scenarios out over the next few weeks.

Has anyone else experienced this? I haven't had a problem using Proraso Pre with two of Charles's soaps in the bowl, and Taylor's Avocado and Proraso cream (well, duh) haven't caused any problems to date.

Hi there. Cool avatar, btw.

I am wondering if you have tried other bay rum soap/cream/aftershave? Could be you are allergic or sensitive to bay oil or clove oil...

FWIW: As for QED soaps, I've used Frankincense & Myrrh, P/TT/P, Sandalwood, and Anise & Lavender without any problems.

TraderJoe said:
Hi there. Cool avatar, btw.

I am wondering if you have tried other bay rum soap/cream/aftershave? Could be you are allergic or sensitive to bay oil or clove oil...

Thanks...it's Muzzy, a foreign-language-instructing monster on a series of videos produced by the BBC for kids.

I haven't tried any other bay rum products before. I did use Proraso Pre this morning, followed by a QED tangerine & spearmint stick and there was no burning feeling, so...

Pellicle said:
A. I cannot use Proraso Pre before lathering with any QED stick because the concentration of EO is just too much for my skin to handle

...is clearly not the answer. That leaves me with three (modified) possibilities:

B. Clove oil doesn't work for me at all, regardless of how I use it

C. Proraso Pre + clove oil is the problem, so I can't combine the two at all

D. I can combine them, but only if I build lather in the bowl rather than on my face

pellicle said:
That leaves me with three (modified) possibilities:

B. Clove oil doesn't work for me at all, regardless of how I use it

C. Proraso Pre + clove oil is the problem, so I can't combine the two at all

D. I can combine them, but only if I build lather in the bowl rather than on my face

Try doing tests on your arm, with these scenario. If you are allergic or the two products react badly together, this will be less painful than your face.

I have the QED bay rum stick and it does give me a bit of burn. I like the smell and the quality of the soap, so it stays in the rotation, but I definitey only use it every now and again.

I would think that the EOs in the stick are the problem - Charles uses a lot of EOs in his products, which is why they smell so good, but they can cause some irritation.

Top Bottom