What's new

Proraso dethroned! The new king of creams is Nivea! Wow, this stuff is slick!

When I was just in Chicago at Merz/Q Brothers Nivea was the one that the owner told me I had to try because of how good it was. Now they carry the one direct from Germany. Unfortunately they were completely out so I missed out on it and will not be back in Chicago till 2015 sometime. But from what he was saying it is something special.

The one found in the States here is made in Germany, or so the tube says. What's the difference?

I saw this last night at Shoppers Drug mart. It was half the price of poraso. Going to pick some up on payday. You people are rubbing off on me. I now have a DE, 3 different types of blades, 2 straights, 5 soaps/creams, 3 pre shave creams, 1 homemade oil, 3 after shaves, 2 moisturizers, witch hazel and an alum stick. And ... I have to add this to my list of Arko, Dettol and Palmolive shaving soaps I plan on getting.

I love Nivea, I've been using it everyday for about two years now. The cream lathered up great and gave me a good shave, but I actually prefer the Nivea sensitive gel over their cream. I've used many different brushes and and many high end soaps and creams but found my Nivea gel actually outperformed them all. Most people here think you must use a brush to get a proper de shave, but its just not true. Out of the hundreds of dollars I've spent on soaps and creams a $3 can of Nivea actually does a better job. I would urge anyone to at least try the gel, and sure I understand most people cant do without their brushes, so at the very least you might have found a perfect product to use for travel. Ill probably still spend more money on boxes full of soaps and creams as its just very addicting, but I wont be surprised if none of the products dethrone my Nivea, as its been king of my bathroom for quite some time now, and I don't see it leaving quietly anytime soon.

I love Nivea, I've been using it everyday for about two years now. The cream lathered up great and gave me a good shave, but I actually prefer the Nivea sensitive gel over their cream. I've used many different brushes and and many high end soaps and creams but found my Nivea gel actually outperformed them all. Most people here think you must use a brush to get a proper de shave, but its just not true. Out of the hundreds of dollars I've spent on soaps and creams a $3 can of Nivea actually does a better job. I would urge anyone to at least try the gel, and sure I understand most people cant do without their brushes, so at the very least you might have found a perfect product to use for travel. Ill probably still spend more money on boxes full of soaps and creams as its just very addicting, but I wont be surprised if none of the products dethrone my Nivea, as its been king of my bathroom for quite some time now, and I don't see it leaving quietly anytime soon.

Plus One for honesty! :thumbup1:

This is the only part I'm surprised by. I don't get much cream left on my blades whether Tech or Slim with a very brief rinse. Did you use enough water?
Dunno. I'd have to experiment more. Although my shave was so good, not sure I want to change anything! A little extra cleanup is worth a great shave!

I finally got my hands on some of this stuff! It was available as an add-on item for my Amazon.com order. Tried it out, and here are my impressions:

The scent was pleasant, it seemed to smell like cedar wood to me, and reminded me of junior high wood shop.

Great lathering ability, but the glide was inferior to my VDH Luxury Unscented soap.

All in all, for me, it is an acceptable shaving cream, but I still prefer to use my VDH Luxury Unscented soap.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm glad you found a cream you like. But you must realize that Castle Forbes Lavender laughs and laughs at post titles like this one.:w00t:

There is so much things that wait for me to discover them and say "oh sh*t, this is best there is"... Yet, you can never discover all... Everyone dies a fool, in a way

A case of YMMV i found the nivea original superior to the sensitive in the inexpensive range. They can't compare to the high end products such t&h though but that s my personal opinion.

1. It's a GREAT value buy...For the $$$ it gives me a better quality shave than any of the Proraso creams for sure. However, let's all remember that it is a budget cream...Stack it up against something higher end like Aqua Di Parma in a tube or Trumpers Coconut, etc. and overall it's not going to beat them on quality or performance...at least for me.
  2. This stuff is disappearing quickly off the local shelves for me. Rite Aid where I am (SE U.S.A.) recently removed it and replaced it with the caffeinated shaving cream from Pacific Shaving (which is NOT as good for me). What's up with that? :sneaky2: Any others reporting this disappearance of Nivea shaving cream in a tube?

Definitely a case of YMMV, I tried a tube of this a few months ago and for some reason it really burned my face and caused me to break out. One of the ingredients must not have agreed with my skin, which surprised me as it is formulated for sensitive skin. I was rooting for it to be a good one, because it is fairly cheap and readily available. Unfortunately I won't be using it again

How well does Nivea work in hard water?

I think the nostalgia is being burnt out of me for soaps and I really just want to stick to creams, and I'm always looking for domestic-marketed shaving products, so I'd like to try Nivea, because its sold in many places . I have tried Godrej and like it, but ordering halfway around the world isn't ideal.

Top Bottom