What's new

Shaving Den

Hello thought i would serve up a some experiences of a new DE shaving convert

Will try to keep it short and sweet like my I.Q
Apologies for the bad spelling/grammmer and the long rambling post – feel free to ignore

I have just started my DE shaving journey the last few weeks – loving it so far and such a change from the hassle and dread of cartridge shaving.
Shaving had become a chore which I dreaded,having sensitive skin and skin problems(acne) did not help and being lazy and set in my ways I did not want to change.It got so bad I would not shave for weeks/months on end then shave then repeat.
The shave itself would always be the same – over shaving to get the desired result with skin tighter than a Scotsman’s wallet and a face burning like I had been in the pit’s of hell.

The journey has been a short one so far – been reading/researching and going down the rabbit hole like everybody else – making mistakes and getting lost but happily taking the road to who knows where.

The shaves so far have been on the whole great,I have made some mistakes but i knew i would and it's all a learning curve.The main issues have been finding the light pressure needed and the correct angle throughout the shave while also finding the right way to hold the razor that feels confortable and natural.

My wallet has seen sunlight (it started to burn) and has got lighter but so what – that is half the fun
Thought I would give a breakdown on items bought/price etc

I have bought 5 DE razors so far –
King C Gillette £10 - Tesco (bought for price and mild beginner shave)
Edwin Jagger DE89 £22.28 - Amazon (bought for the mild beginner shave)
Edwin Jagger Amazon Exclusive Kelvin £20.47 - Amazon (bought for the shorter handle – considered the Merkur 34C)
Qshave Short Handle Classic Safety Razor £0.41p - AliExpress (bought for the very cheap price and curiosity
Men Shaver Barber Tools Hair Razor Adjustable Double Edge Classic Safety Razor - AliExpress £1.36 (£2.38 total cost inc tax/delivery)

Razor Blades
DERBY TOKAI Premium 100 Double Edge Razor Blades - Amazon £5.82
Various 5 blades packs Ebay - DERBY Extra,Gillette 7 O' Clock (Yellow),Astra Blue Superior Stainless

Shaving Creams Pre & Post Shave
Triple Pack Proraso Shaving Creams – La Barberia £10.99 (Green,Red,White)
Proraso Shaving Cream Blue,Proraso Pre Shave Cream Red & White - £15.80 Shaving Time (inc discount/delivery)
Palmolive Shaving Cream Green £2 - Local Pharmacy
Nivea Post Shave Balm £4 Local Pharmacy

Shaving Brush
Gentleman’s Face Care Club Badger Friendly Shave Brush £9.97 Amazon

Well boring ramble over - take care good shaves ahead

IMG_20230415_185158.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to this wonderful pastime & to B & B! You have some nice gear, thank you for sowing us. Before venturing further into the various rabbit holes (razors, soaps, brushes, etc) take time to develop proper technique. I suggest doing what's known as a Fixed Four. Shave with the same razor, brand of blade, soap, & brush for 4 weeks. Don't change anything so you can start getting comfortable with how to use each of those four pieces. Then when you make a change, try changing just one item & then use that set up several shaves before making another change. Proper technique comes one way, practice. And since this is such an enjoyable pastime, enjoy practicing! One last tip, use no pressure. None. Let gravity pull the razor down your cheek or neck, don't press the razor against your skin like we did when we used a cartridge razor.

This is a fun bunch of folks. Hope you stick around & join in!

Hi @Qanzoq , Welcome to B&B!

Looks like you are off to a great start! The advice above to focus on honing your technique is great. There is no need to spend a lot of money on shaving tools. A King C. Gillette is one of my primary razors thanks to it's excellent mild blade geometry that still delivers great BBS shaves.

Looking at what you have started with my advice would be to purchase one additional brush so that each one can fully dry between use. Since you have a badger you may want to compliment it with a boar to determine your preferred brush type. Quality boars are inexpensive. An Omega #49 for under £8 or #10065 for under £5 at Connaught Shaving would work well. It would also give you a stiffer brush that may be useful if you also decide to compliment your shaving creams with a hard shaving soap or two. Connaught has some of the best prices we've seen on either side of the Atlantic.

Connaught also has a range of great hard soaps that I enjoy such as Mitchells Wool Fat, Tabac and Cyril R. Salter for between £5-8 each. Less if you choose the same soap in a shaving stick format. For all the above you can just purchase the refill pucks and use your own mug. My recommendation would be to pick one or two of these to experiment with.

Hello thought i would serve up a some experiences of a new DE shaving convert

Will try to keep it short and sweet like my I.Q
Apologies for the bad spelling/grammmer and the long rambling post – feel free to ignore

I have just started my DE shaving journey the last few weeks – loving it so far and such a change from the hassle and dread of cartridge shaving.
Shaving had become a chore which I dreaded,having sensitive skin and skin problems(acne) did not help and being lazy and set in my ways I did not want to change.It got so bad I would not shave for weeks/months on end then shave then repeat.
The shave itself would always be the same – over shaving to get the desired result with skin tighter than a Scotsman’s wallet and a face burning like I had been in the pit’s of hell.

The journey has been a short one so far – been reading/researching and going down the rabbit hole like everybody else – making mistakes and getting lost but happily taking the road to who knows where.

The shaves so far have been on the whole great,I have made some mistakes but i knew i would and it's all a learning curve.The main issues have been finding the light pressure needed and the correct angle throughout the shave while also finding the right way to hold the razor that feels confortable and natural.

My wallet has seen sunlight (it started to burn) and has got lighter but so what – that is half the fun
Thought I would give a breakdown on items bought/price etc

I have bought 5 DE razors so far –
King C Gillette £10 - Tesco (bought for price and mild beginner shave)
Edwin Jagger DE89 £22.28 - Amazon (bought for the mild beginner shave)
Edwin Jagger Amazon Exclusive Kelvin £20.47 - Amazon (bought for the shorter handle – considered the Merkur 34C)
Qshave Short Handle Classic Safety Razor £0.41p - AliExpress (bought for the very cheap price and curiosity
Men Shaver Barber Tools Hair Razor Adjustable Double Edge Classic Safety Razor - AliExpress £1.36 (£2.38 total cost inc tax/delivery)

Razor Blades
DERBY TOKAI Premium 100 Double Edge Razor Blades - Amazon £5.82
Various 5 blades packs Ebay - DERBY Extra,Gillette 7 O' Clock (Yellow),Astra Blue Superior Stainless

Shaving Creams Pre & Post Shave
Triple Pack Proraso Shaving Creams – La Barberia £10.99 (Green,Red,White)
Proraso Shaving Cream Blue,Proraso Pre Shave Cream Red & White - £15.80 Shaving Time (inc discount/delivery)
Palmolive Shaving Cream Green £2 - Local Pharmacy
Nivea Post Shave Balm £4 Local Pharmacy

Shaving Brush
Gentleman’s Face Care Club Badger Friendly Shave Brush £9.97 Amazon

Well boring ramble over - take care good shaves ahead

View attachment 1638718
long way to go with lots of learning curves. tip: shave angle is everything

Top Bottom