What's new

Proraso dethroned! The new king of creams is Nivea! Wow, this stuff is slick!

None at Smith's, Walgreens, or Walmart here in Albuquerque, NM. May check CVS tomorrow. If it smells like the Sensitive AS Balm, I have to have it. I love the smell of that stuff.

I have been looking for these creams locally but haven't had any luck. I may have to order them since I really want to give them a try, especially the sensitive for the winter months because my face gets so dry.

My brother is in Norway and coming home for a visit soon, perhaps he will bring some along.

Anyway, glad to see a good review of them. Nivea products are great, IMHO. I love their ASB and face wash.

I'm surprised that there seems to be a problem with finding these in some places since they seem to be popular products. Every store I've seen them in here, and there are a lot, seem to have problems keeping these products on the shelves. I've noticed at a couple of my regular stores that they will be nearly sold out a week after they stock up. Not sure if it's from people with brushes or people who are using them as an alternative to higher priced canned products.

I'm surprised that there seems to be a problem with finding these in some places since they seem to be popular products. Every store I've seen them in here, and there are a lot, seem to have problems keeping these products on the shelves. I've noticed at a couple of my regular stores that they will be nearly sold out a week after they stock up. Not sure if it's from people with brushes or people who are using them as an alternative to higher priced canned products.
Could be either or a combination of both. Because of the "main stream" nature of the manufacturing company, in this case Nivea, I would think that if your local stores carry the balms, the shave creams *should* be available. It may just be a matter of speaking to someone in the store who does purchasing and requesting a few tubes be brought in. On the other hand, you have to bear in mind that many stores are limited to what they can carry due to either franchise limitations or they are limited to a specific warehousing company and can only stock in the stores what they can get from that warehouse. If they don't stock it at the warehouse, it can't be brought in, end of story.

Personnally I prefer Proraso.

Better lather, smell, and that really nice cooling sensation.

I agree a tube of Proraso is more expensive, but it is also bigger. So I assume that in the end, the price per ounce may somewhat be equivalent.

Nope, I wouldn't say Nivea dethroned Proraso... I tried Proraso Green and there is a reason it's one of best shaving soaps on market (excluding exotics). I am truly satisfied with Nivea though, but Proraso does work a bit better for me.

My newest discovery is Nivea Men Originals shave cream with one drop of peppermint essential oil. It's really great.

I think a lot of shavers get caught up in the whole "my lather needs to LOOK awesome to BE awesome." This is not true. My Nivea lather sometimes looks horrendous, but it still performs wonderfully in terms of the shave.

For this kind of price, I think this cream is Superb! No fuss, no pretense. Just a good shave. Straight foward. Nice.....

I actually really like the Nivea Sensitive Cream, it doesn't dethrone Proraso for me, but they are equally good for me. It's nice that it's available locally too.

Initially in my area, read small, both of our Safeway stores had it. I bought all 3 tubes my Safeway(1 mile away) had thinking it would show good sales and be kept in stock. That didn't work because the next time I went in they redressed and the tag was gone.

Now, after I first found it, I had also picked up all 3 tubes from the other Safeway in our area which is about 15 miles away. They restocked and have continued to maintain it.

I also found that the closest Rite Aid, 35 miles away one way, in the area also sells it. But I try not to make that trip if I don't have to. But it does usually allow me to pick up a couple tubes of RSC at the same time.

And if you shop my stores and its out... I apologize... But I am up to 15 tubes now :lol: , and that doesn't include giving 2 tubes away to buddies and the first tube I used up. I am paranoid about disappearing, locally available, wet shave products, so I make it a habit to grab them all every 3-4 weeks when I am there. At 3.50 reg price and 2.79 sale price, its hard not to justify dropping a $10 spot to get them all. Even the wife suggests just buying them all as she has come to understand how this stuff can be here today, gone tomorrow.

What store(s) are you finding it in?

As above, Safeways and Rite Aid, for me.

I have been using it on-and-off as a travel shave kit item for over 3 years. It is available nationwide (Rite-Aid, Walgreens, etc). The scent is pleasant and neutral. The price is super affordable. In use with a brush, I use a BK-8, it lathers well and produces a thick creamy lather that stays hydrated on the face, offers excellent slickness. Easily provides for a three pass shave with a safety razor, requires a re-lather with a straight razor.

Nivea is around €1, 50 per tube in most German drugstores. Palmolive Classic or Sensitive is less than €1, 00 per tube (same size).

Wow I'm in the wrong end of the world! I'd love to get Palmolive cheaper than Nivea! At this point I'm getting Nivea under three bucks and Palmolive at eight.

Top Bottom