What's new

Proposed tax hike and your response?

I am reminded, it is many of you here on this forum who led me down the path of tobacco accumulation when I returned to pipe smoking a little over three years ago. Just as you also led me down the road of PAD (or 'perdition', as my SMFA terms it) with that Larrysson 2018 BL LE. So, I am grateful to you that at this point, with the potential of oppressive taxation on our beloved pipe tobacco this side of the horizon, I am well fixed for the foreseeable future. According to my Tobacco Consumption Model, if I average three pipes each and every day, I've enough cellar for 15 years, which would put me toward the higher end of my pipe smoking life expectancy.
Thanks fellas!

I have a feeling that the tax hike probably wont go through, but in this age of taxing vices to oblivian it is a possibility. What I am seeing is that a typical C&D tin would run close to $60 in the US.

What are you doing about it now? Any specific blends that you are buying up to prepare for the inevitable?

I have accumulated a sizable cellar that will probably supply me for the rest of my life, if necessary.
However I continue to stock up on my favorites whenever I see them on sale.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My Dad grew some tobacco one year, up here in Michigan. He got the seed from my great aunt in Kentucky.

They grew well. We even smoked some. The flowers are pretty, I think they are in the Nasturtium family?

I should buy some seeds and try it next year....

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I’m kinda curious how many of our membership have deep cellars. Gonna start a poll.

Currently:
56 different blends
I keep a spreadsheet :biggrin1: :pipe:
I currently have 37 blends opened and stored in Mason Jars. I probably have about as many that I haven’t opened in tins. I have, on average, 5 tins of each unopened blend. I need to start a spreadsheet but then I’ll know I have a problem.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Along the lines of this conversation, as the thumbscrews turn, I got this message in my inbox today from one smaller vendor ...

"Here at The Pipe Nook, I've faced many challenges as of late when it comes to accepting online payments. Long story short, it's all bound up in Federal and State regulations regarding tobacco product sales, and the online payments industry considering all tobacco products (including pipes and accessories) to be a "high risk" industry. What this means for me is that I have to move my site to a new (and better) eCommerce platform and hosting solution, along with a new Merchant Services company that allows such online purchases. This will unfortunately make online purchases on the site unavailable beginning Monday, 10/11, as I migrate the site to its new home. I'm hoping to have this accomplished within a week's time, but I'll keep you posted as to progress. ..."

Pot legal (about time imo way past time really) and tobacco almost illegal. The guberment never gives without taking more.

As I read it a cigar will go up in price maybe about 50 cents. I am gonna stockpile some cigars for sure just in case. It will only get worse till I am in Europe land, I would think. I have enough pipe or 'rolling tobacco', 3 Sails and some other stuff. 30 pounds or more?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Rejoice! Supposedly the tobacco tax hike has been removed in it’s entirety from the Biden Bill.

Search up Halfwheel for the article I read. Now if the FDA would just drop the deeming rules there would be no more runs on Pipe tobacco.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I been adding cigars to my cart on about 3 different websites. Each time I get over $300 worth. Even without the tax it seems like tobacco has gone up!

Top Bottom