What's new

Problems with Mitchell’s Wool Fat

I guess I have a different opinion on how much water you need for a good MWF lather. I don't use much water at all. Bloom, drain, shake almost dry, load, face lather, done. Works every time.

I guess I have a different opinion on how much water you need for a good MWF lather. I don't use much water at all. Bloom, drain, shake almost dry, load, face lather, done. Works every time.

I basically do the same. Add a bit of water but load a relatively dry brush. works pretty well for me with MWF.

I never bloom my MWF and have some of the hardest water in the country and never have a problem. I face lather and always use a badger with hard soap.

I have the best luck with a synthetic brush. I soak the brush and give it one good snap of the wrist to get most of the water out. Works great.

Nah. Gave another try. First seemed like it would lathef up nicely but after a while just quickly dissipating foam. More I worked it in a bowl foamier it got. With quite dry setup. Bloomed 10 minutes, damp (not wet) badger, bowl lathering, only 1 drop of extra water into lather. Got an ok shave with slick foamy dissipating lather but had to be fast before it all vanished. One thing I've learned with this one, if I do a really fast shave without lots of thinking I get more comfortable feel on my face. Less irritation and else.

But MWF... seems to be superior in slickness but heck I'd like it lather so that it stays on my face and does not foam.

This are what I had after 5 minutes of heavy brushing and heavy spraying.

Ironically it was only after I finished my two pass shave with that crap lather that I had a breakthrough. I took the excess that was in my brush, wrung it out and onto my hand, and just rubbed my hands together for a minute. Adding a fair amount of water as I needed it, I finally got the amazing lather that everyone was talking about. Very few bubbles, shiny, wet and dense.

This leads me to wonder: is it possible I'm over-overloading the brush? Next time I'm going to try a shorter load than I've been doing. I'm also going to stop caring about the foam that builds up and just let it fall into the sink. Last, I'm going to add way more water than I have been over the course or my lathering. I hope I've cracked it.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This are what I had after 5 minutes of heavy brushing and heavy spraying.

Ironically it was only after I finished my two pass shave with that crap lather that I had a breakthrough. I took the excess that was in my brush, wrung it out and onto my hand, and just rubbed my hands together for a minute. Adding a fair amount of water as I needed it, I finally got the amazing lather that everyone was talking about. Very few bubbles, shiny, wet and dense.

This leads me to wonder: is it possible I'm over-overloading the brush? Next time I'm going to try a shorter load than I've been doing. I'm also going to stop caring about the foam that builds up and just let it fall into the sink. Last, I'm going to add way more water than I have been over the course or my lathering. I hope I've cracked it.
proxy.php
proxy.php

That looks pretty horrid.. That reminds me of Williams and a bad experience. I still want to try MWF though.

That looks pretty horrid.. That reminds me of Williams and a bad experience. I still want to try MWF though.
Yeah if it weren't for the natural ultra slickness of wet MWF, I'd have way more nicks than I currently do (which is a lot more than the 0-3 I'm used to with other soaps/creams).

That is epically bad lather. Maybe your brush and or the puck is way to wet when you start loading. I wet the brush, shake it hard and then squeeze the water out. The puck is dry or has a couple drops of water on it. The load is paste-like on the tips and then I slowly add water face lathering by dipping the tips. I stop when it’s a little before European style yogurt runny. Never ever fluffy bubbles.

Last edited:
I'm surprised when guys claim that MWF is difficult to lather because I find it one of the easiest. I use synthetic brushes and a scuttle. I'll first cover the puck in its bowl with hot water while I soak my brush with warm tap water. That takes maybe 30 seconds. I find that half-minute bloom is sufficient to soften the surface of the soap, enabling an easy load. I shake out the excess water from my brush, pour the water out of the bowl, whip up a nice creamy lather quickly, transfer it to the scuttle, and add drops of water as needed.

I wish I could offer you guys more tips, but this works for me. If I could have only one soap, MWF would be it. This one's the masterpiece, so please don't give up on it.

That is epically bad lather. Maybe your brush and or the puck is way to wet when you start loading. I wet the brush, shake it hard and then squeeze the water out. The puck is dry or has a couple drops of water on it. The load is paste-like on the tips and then I slowly add water face lathering by dipping the tips. I stop when it’s a little before European style yogurt runny. Never ever fluffy bubbles.
I've used MWF around 6 times so far and most of the time I squeezed out all the water too. I can never get paste on the tips of the brush despite loading for 3-5 minutes. It's always varying levels of foam that starts dying on me as soon as I brush it on my face. As I add more water it gives the soap another 5-10 seconds of life before it dissipates again.

I'm surprised when guys claim that MWF is difficult to lather because I find it one of the easiest. I use synthetic brushes and a scuttle. I'll first cover the puck in its bowl with hot water while I soak my brush with warm tap water. That takes maybe 30 seconds. I find that half-minute bloom is sufficient to soften the surface of the soap, enabling an easy load. I shake out the excess water from my brush, pour the water out of the bowl, whip up a nice creamy lather quickly, transfer it to the scuttle, and add drops of water as needed.

I wish I could offer you guys more tips, but this works for me. If I could have only one soap, MWF would be it. This one's the masterpiece, so please don't give up on it.

Agree. two minutes max start to finish. MWF is easy excellent lather every time.
I've used MWF around 6 times so far and most of the time I squeezed out all the water too. I can never get paste on the tips of the brush despite loading for 3-5 minutes. It's always varying levels of foam that starts dying on me as soon as I brush it on my face. As I add more water it gives the soap another 5-10 seconds of life before it dissipates again.

That too long to be loading. 30 seconds max for me. A minute if I don’t like the soap and I am wasting it. There was a suggestion to use it like a shave stick or put it in a shave stick container. That has worked great for me in the past and guarantees your soap load.

Agitate more slowly with the brush.

Tried it today with synthetic brush. Loaded HEAVILY in a ceramic bowl and transferred product directly to face. Slightly better but still vanishes from the face so rapidly I had to relather all the time and be very fast with razor. I end up with nice and comfortable post shave feel but shaving this rapidly is not fun at all.

This is not worth it. I give up. At least for now.

I've been using MWF for a decade and it's still my #1 soap.

I'll tell you what I've told every other person having troubles with it...

Your problem is not too much water, it's not enough water!

This sounds counterintuitive and I feel this is why the soap trips up so many.

When you see lather that is fluffy or light or disappearing or "flaking off your face", you need to add more water and keep working it.

It will thicken up into a very creamy, dense and shiny lather.

No fancy tricks needed. Just load and lather up adding water and watch it thicken up like magic!

MWF takes a ton of water so your brush should feel heavy when it's full of optimal MWF lather.

This is precisely what I found. For ages I thought it was too much water only to find it was the opposite.

This is precisely what I found. For ages I thought it was too much water only to find it was the opposite.

Nice!
It's a magical soap that works differently to others.

I just hope this message can be spread around to everyone having issues with MWF because the solution is just too easy but not one that people would think to do easily due to being so counterintuitive!

I’m a fan of the fat. As with all tallow based soaps I find This one gets thicker and richer after resting for a few minutes. The pictured lather is far too foamy. Try bowl lathering before your shower, resting it and then giving it a quick stir again after the shower before applying. I think you will find the lather will condense via this method.

This morning, I used MWF like this with a boar brush and the results were perfect thick creamy lather. Be sure to use lots of product. The initial protolather can be foamy too but it is easily incorporated into the mix. It is worth persisting MWF produces one of the closest shaves in the business.

I tried MWF only once. I didn't have a real problem with it but let's just say I didn't understand what all the legendary acclaim was about. I think it is worth the price but with so many other brands to try, I can't see reordering it. Just wasn't overly impressed :20:

Top Bottom