What's new

Problems with Mitchell’s Wool Fat

I decided I’d give MWF a try. I had read and seen video reviews in it that did say it could be a little tough to lather and they were definitely right. I soaked the puck while I took a hot shower, used a damp (not wet) Fine synthetic brush, loaded for close to a minute and initially tried bowl lathering. I ended up with a very foamy but not excessively watery lather with nice peaks but I could see bubbles in it and once lathered on my face it quickly dissipated requiring me to relather in the middle of each pass. I decided to reload the puck and face lather and the quality of the lather didn’t change at all. I love the smell of this soap and the feeling of my skin afterward but I couldn’t get a good lather.

After the shave I tried to practice the lather with a (cheapo) boar brush- soaked the brush for 15 minutes, loaded the brush of a minute or so, then tried to lather directly in my hand since I’d already shaved. I still got a very foamy lather that didn’t last. I’ll if it’s my water or my technique or what but any suggestions would be appreciated. Idk that I’ll be using it to shave with again until I can master lathering it. My shave was less than enjoyable with such a crummy lather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like too much water.

I soaked my MWF puck with distilled water once, when I first opened it.

Now I put maybe a teaspoon of water to bloom it and pour any excess off into my lathering bowl.

Soak my brush, squeeze the water out and shake a couple of times.

Load the brush and build the lather in the bowl. Add a few drops of water as needed.

You can also add a nickle sized dollop of Cremo to the bowl which will help you build a 'super lather'.

Be patient.....it takes a bit of time to build a great lather.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I use MWF regularly and have no such problems. I have never soaked a puck of soap and never felt the need to do so; I normally start with a totally dry puck. Occasionally I may add a teaspoon of water on top of the soap for a minute or so before lathering and use that water as a pre shave. I soak my brush for a few minutes then shake it out so it remains just damp. I load the brush for around 30 swirls on the puck and then start face lathering; I never bowl lather. I dip the brush tips in water occasionally as I build the lather and use mainly swirling and mashing brush motions as I do not enjoy back and forth paintbrush type strokes. The water in my area is soft and I have heard this makes a difference. I use only MWF or Tabac and I find they both lather beautifully this way and both take the same amount of time. On the odd occasion I use Proraso pre shave cream prior to face lathering, I find the lather then takes longer to create. Not sure if any of this helps but that is my method.

Now I put maybe a teaspoon of water to bloom it and pour any excess off into my lathering bowl.

Load the brush and build the lather in the bowl. Add a few drops of water as needed.

(...)

This ^^.
I always start with a damped brush. Whilst building the lather in a bowl I slowly add some more drops. Therefore this soap needs a bit more time until the lather is ready (without bubbles), but it is worth the effort. Just keep trying...

You can also add a nickle sized dollop of Cremo to the bowl which will help you build a 'super lather'.

That’s what I thought too, too much water, but I tried to minimize water. I guess I didn’t do a good enough job. I don’t have this problem with my other soaps so I wasn’t sure. I guess I’ll continue to practice with it and hopefully will get the hang of it.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Keep after it because, like so many other milled pucks, it gets better with regular use. I never soak my puck, just start with a wet and gently shaken brush. I don't have soft water.

Continue practicing with patience, the reward will be worth it.

I use MWF regularly and have no such problems. I have never soaked a puck of soap and never felt the need to do so; I normally start with a totally dry puck. Occasionally I may add a teaspoon of water on top of the soap for a minute or so before lathering and use that water as a pre shave. I soak my brush for a few minutes then shake it out so it remains just damp. I load the brush for around 30 swirls on the puck and then start face lathering; I never bowl lather. I dip the brush tips in water occasionally as I build the lather and use mainly swirling and mashing brush motions as I do not enjoy back and forth paintbrush type strokes. The water in my area is soft and I have heard this makes a difference. I use only MWF or Tabac and I find they both lather beautifully this way and both take the same amount of time. On the odd occasion I use Proraso pre shave cream prior to face lathering, I find the lather then takes longer to create. Not sure if any of this helps but that is my method.

+1 Blooming has always seemed unnecessary. And potentially problematic. For me MWF has always been easy to get great consistent lather with the above method.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I have really soft water, so that might be the thing. I do, however, load more than usual when I use Mitchell's and I end up with a nice and creamy lather. It is my favorite soap among many. Please don't give up- it is worth making it work. Use more product! Try loading so much you think you have gone overboard. Tabac explodes if you even look at it, MWF needs a little practice. Lastly, I have more luck with boars and stout badgers when I use the fat.

I have really soft water, so that might be the thing. I do, however, load more than usual when I use Mitchell's and I end up with a nice and creamy lather. It is my favorite soap among many. Please don't give up- it is worth making it work. Use more product! Try loading so much you think you have gone overboard. Tabac explodes if you even look at it, MWF needs a little practice. Lastly, I have more luck with boars and stout badgers when I use the fat.

I just ordered a SOC boar so maybe that’ll do the trick! I’ll give it another try when it comes in. My other brushes are a lot softer and the boar I have now is pretty crummy.

I used to live in Baltimore, and the water there, at least in my neighborhood, made it darned near impossible to get MWF to lather. Same with Cella. Now I live in Tenn, and the water here makes MWF explode with lather. Cella too. I'm convinced that the chemical makeup of the water is a major variable in the relative difficulty of lathering with MWF.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have hard, hard water; it affects all soaps in a negative way. But MWF; I say I load it twice as long as I do with other soaps and it seems to work. I do not bloom. It does better w synthetic, but interestingly last night I used a 26mm badger and it worked (I was surprised)....I am a nylon lova of the 60's

I have hard, hard water; it affects all soaps in a negative way. But MWF; I say I load it twice as long as I do with other soaps and it seems to work. I do not bloom. It does better w synthetic, but interestingly last night I used a 26mm badger and it worked (I was surprised)....I am a nylon lova of the 60's
Ohh I forgot to mention, I have a bowl w filtered water for the brush and dip it in there for more water.....:tongue_sm:w00t:

I'm convinced that the chemical makeup of the water is a major variable in the relative difficulty of lathering with MWF.
Could be. I heave read so much about issues lathering MWF, and I have never had a problem with it from day one. In case it matters, I use a super cheap Omega S brush.

Hm, I used my FAT last week after a long hiatus (I'm more into Stirling and Italian soaps lately). Just put a wet Omega 48 on the dry puck, loaded and face lathered. No difference to other soaps IMHO. Worked fine.

I think, the problem with MWF is, to make a problem of it.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Aside from water control, I also found doing a VERY heavy load helps me immensely. I use a damp (not wet or dripping brush) on a dry puck (I don't bloom or add any water to the puck), and I load for 45 seconds in one direction, then I use my fingers to add a few drops of water to the brush, and load in the other direction for another 45 seconds. Then I face lather on a dampened face, and typically add drops of water to the brush as needed for building the lather.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Let the puck stay soggy - MWF must be used every day for it to hit its stride. I don't know why but it's true. You can't have anything else in rotation, if you want best results.

And load it like you hate it, of course. Then it flies!

AA

^^^True!!

mwf-lathering-anim-dec-17-2014.gif

Top Bottom