What's new

Problems with Mitchell’s Wool Fat

I'm sorry your having such trouble with the MWF. It sounds like you've put in the time for both loading and lathering. I would suggests being VERY stingy with the water. You may want to dry out the brush a bit more before loading....the frothy "runny soapy heavy water" suggests to me that there is still too much water. I've found that my synthetics (I've got a half dozen different Yaqi's) really hold the water. So even though I plunge the dry brush into a bowl of warm water before starting, I end up squeezing the bristles to get the water that's trapped inside the brush to fall out. Then I do a shake (wrist flick) to get that out, and then start the load. Basically when you're loading, it should be paste-like, I may drop 2 or 3 droplets of water on the brush using my fingers if it looks like it would help me get more paste on the brush. After the load, I dampen my face and start the face lather. Again, I'm stingy with the water as I'm building the lather (dropping only a few drops at a time on the brush).

Others may have better advice, but that's what I'd try next. Now all of that said, I don't ever get a Santa Claus beard from MWF, it's better than "clown paint", but my lathers tend to be more thin. But if it's dissipating, then there's a definite problem....the lather may not be as fluffy as cream from a can, but it definitely should not be disappearing.

I hope that helps, and please post back and let me know how it goes.
Thanks, I'll be more mindful of getting the water out of the brush before I go to the puck. I know you can get a voluminous lather from MWF, courtesy of Another Cut Above on YouTube. It doesn't look as weighty as what I get out of Stirling, but it definitely looks dense and I'm hoping I can get that kind of lather going. I'll post an update after my shave today on whether or not I made any progress.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I had some difficulty with it at first. Softened water helped a bit, but I finally mixed it with some Taylor of Old Bond Street and Cella, and that has been my daily driver whenever I am not playing around with something else.

I'm sorry your having such trouble with the MWF. It sounds like you've put in the time for both loading and lathering. I would suggests being VERY stingy with the water. You may want to dry out the brush a bit more before loading....the frothy "runny soapy heavy water" suggests to me that there is still too much water. I've found that my synthetics (I've got a half dozen different Yaqi's) really hold the water. So even though I plunge the dry brush into a bowl of warm water before starting, I end up squeezing the bristles to get the water that's trapped inside the brush to fall out. Then I do a shake (wrist flick) to get that out, and then start the load. Basically when you're loading, it should be paste-like, I may drop 2 or 3 droplets of water on the brush using my fingers if it looks like it would help me get more paste on the brush. After the load, I dampen my face and start the face lather. Again, I'm stingy with the water as I'm building the lather (dropping only a few drops at a time on the brush).

Others may have better advice, but that's what I'd try next. Now all of that said, I don't ever get a Santa Claus beard from MWF, it's better than "clown paint", but my lathers tend to be more thin. But if it's dissipating, then there's a definite problem....the lather may not be as fluffy as cream from a can, but it definitely should not be disappearing.

I hope that helps, and please post back and let me know how it goes.
Here's the update I promised. Another terrible lather. I went in with as dry of a brush as I could make it after I wet my brush. I loaded the from dry puck for 2 minutes and it still looked foamy. I added two or three drops of water to the top of the puck and went to work for another 2 minutes. Still foam but a few suds forming at the edge of the ceramic dish. A few more drops on the puck and another 2 minutes of loading later, my brush was still only densely foamy but not pasty. I threw in the towel at that point and tried to paint what I had loaded onto my face. It looked thinly pasty on my face after each stroke, but within 10 seconds it faded by at least 50%. I kept dipping the tips of my brush and painting to try to get a consistent coat on my face but it never happened. As predicted when I splayed the brush and went at it for 5 more minutes, I got tons of foam that refused to stay hydrated. Same as yesterday, I only did a 1 pass shave and halfway through I had no cushion between the blade in my razor and my face because the foam had thinned out. Good thing MWF is devilishly slick because it's what allowed me to finish my single pass. I'll try again in a few days, and I'll bloom the soap too next time to see if that helps.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Here's the update I promised. Another terrible lather. I went in with as dry of a brush as I could make it after I wet my brush. I loaded the from dry puck for 2 minutes and it still looked foamy. I added two or three drops of water to the top of the puck and went to work for another 2 minutes. Still foam but a few suds forming at the edge of the ceramic dish. A few more drops on the puck and another 2 minutes of loading later, my brush was still only densely foamy but not pasty. I threw in the towel at that point and tried to paint what I had loaded onto my face. It looked thinly pasty on my face after each stroke, but within 10 seconds it faded by at least 50%. I kept dipping the tips of my brush and painting to try to get a consistent coat on my face but it never happened. As predicted when I splayed the brush and went at it for 5 more minutes, I got tons of foam that refused to stay hydrated. Same as yesterday, I only did a 1 pass shave and halfway through I had no cushion between the blade in my razor and my face because the foam had thinned out. Good thing MWF is devilishly slick because it's what allowed me to finish my single pass. I'll try again in a few days, and I'll bloom the soap too next time to see if that helps.

I'm sorry -- that sounds like a frustrating exercise, to say the least. I hope the blooming helps. I've gotta say, I do admire your tenacity!

I don't get it....2' load....; i just take a damp synthetic 20-30sec, straight to face and lather, adding water as needed, get 3 passes.... (no soaking) and I admit I am not a master of lather nor do I need the perfect lather either...just need enough slick lather to shave.

Reactions: nav

Here's Cris using MWF with a synthetic. I'm not sure how you get a total opposite result but maybe the video will help you out in some way.

Also, what brush are you using? A synthetic will be the easiest to lather with in general.

It’s a fine soap. I use it like any other hard soap. Keep at it - use it regularly and you’ll figure it out soon enough.

I may have cracked the code:

proxy.php

proxy.php

I got my new SOC boar halfway broken in using the cold water and agitation trick over the weekend. I also just got my new lather bowl in which is much easier to vigorously create lather than my heavier scuttle. (Sensitive skin, face lathering gets irritating). I soaked the brush and bloomed the puck for 10-15 minutes. Shook the brush a few times firmly and gave it a squeeze, dumped the bloom water out and went to loading. Loaded the brush upside down for 30 ish seconds then went to bowl lathering. Added water a few drops at a time until it started to suds up a good bit (first photo), then added a little more and a little more until I got to the second photo. It’s a lot foamier (bigger bubbles) than my other soaps but it appears this is normal for MWF. When lathered to the face it isn’t as thick a layer as my other soaps but feels plenty slick which I guess is all you really need. It didn’t seem to dissipate much at all. It took a little bit of time but I think this is at the very least headed toward the result I need for a good shave with it.

Thoughts? Critique welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I decided I’d give MWF a try. I had read and seen video reviews in it that did say it could be a little tough to lather and they were definitely right. I soaked the puck while I took a hot shower, used a damp (not wet) Fine synthetic brush, loaded for close to a minute and initially tried bowl lathering. I ended up with a very foamy but not excessively watery lather with nice peaks but I could see bubbles in it and once lathered on my face it quickly dissipated requiring me to relather in the middle of each pass. I decided to reload the puck and face lather and the quality of the lather didn’t change at all. I love the smell of this soap and the feeling of my skin afterward but I couldn’t get a good lather.

After the shave I tried to practice the lather with a (cheapo) boar brush- soaked the brush for 15 minutes, loaded the brush of a minute or so, then tried to lather directly in my hand since I’d already shaved. I still got a very foamy lather that didn’t last. I’ll if it’s my water or my technique or what but any suggestions would be appreciated. Idk that I’ll be using it to shave with again until I can master lathering it. My shave was less than enjoyable with such a crummy lather.

The last 35 years of wet shaving I have tried a lot of soaps, creams etc. However, recently, like you, I thought I would try the legendary MWF. Unfortunately I have had the same results as you, no matter what I do the result is the same...foamy, light lather that quickly dissipitated. I have tried all the suggestions along with different brushes, different methods, dry brush, wet brush, face lather etc. always the same result, poor lather. Every other tripple milled soap that I have used including SV, DRH, TABAC, VALOBRA, MDC, KLAR and most Artisan soaps have never given me such a hard time creating a good lather with good consistency...I just simply don't get it why this soap has given me so much grief. I have now given up on it, not for the lack of trying but I have concluded that this soap is not for me.

I bought a puck about three months ago and placed it in a Maggard's plastic soap jar. It was about a quarter inch smaller than the jar. I followed a tip from another B&B soap thread and added three teaspoons of water to the jar and covered it. Did this for two nights in a row. When I was ready to use it the puck had absorbed all the water and swollen to fit the jar tightly. Never had a problem loading and lathering and I have hard water. I get a face full of lather like the Cella dude.

When I first started using MWF, I had the same problem as the OP. After some research and having it soaked with water -no more problems. It lathered a lot easier and thicker providing more cushion. If this didn’t work, I would have given up on it for sure as I didn’t like the thin watery lather one bit.

Thanks, I'll be more mindful of getting the water out of the brush before I go to the puck. I know you can get a voluminous lather from MWF, courtesy of Another Cut Above on YouTube. It doesn't look as weighty as what I get out of Stirling, but it definitely looks dense and I'm hoping I can get that kind of lather going. I'll post an update after my shave today on whether or not I made any progress.

I've told Cris to add more water to MWF. His lather looks light but MWF, when fully hydrated, provides a thick, rich, heavy, silky lather!

I decided I’d give MWF a try. I had read and seen video reviews in it that did say it could be a little tough to lather and they were definitely right. I soaked the puck while I took a hot shower, used a damp (not wet) Fine synthetic brush, loaded for close to a minute and initially tried bowl lathering. I ended up with a very foamy but not excessively watery lather with nice peaks but I could see bubbles in it and once lathered on my face it quickly dissipated requiring me to relather in the middle of each pass. I decided to reload the puck and face lather and the quality of the lather didn’t change at all. I love the smell of this soap and the feeling of my skin afterward but I couldn’t get a good lather.

After the shave I tried to practice the lather with a (cheapo) boar brush- soaked the brush for 15 minutes, loaded the brush of a minute or so, then tried to lather directly in my hand since I’d already shaved. I still got a very foamy lather that didn’t last. I’ll if it’s my water or my technique or what but any suggestions would be appreciated. Idk that I’ll be using it to shave with again until I can master lathering it. My shave was less than enjoyable with such a crummy lather.

I would say load longer with a drier brush and make sure you get as much water out of the container after the bloom as possible.

Last edited:
I've told Cris to add more water to MWF. His lather looks light but MWF, when fully hydrated, provides a thick, rich, heavy, silky lather!
I'm struggling with adding water. I've used MWF 3 times now and each time I added more water than before. I still can't get past the foam/suds. It's like I can't keep the air out of the soap when I try to build the lather as well as I can with my Stirling soap.

I'm struggling with adding water. I've used MWF 3 times now and each time I added more water than before. I still can't get past the foam/suds. It's like I can't keep the air out of the soap when I try to build the lather as well as I can with my Stirling soap.

Hmmm I'm really not sure what else to suggest.
The thing that causes trouble to so many is that MWF needs water and agitation and them more water and more agitation.

If you're already doing this then I'm really lost as to what it could be.

I would suggest trying distilled water as a test but in actual fact, MWF works better in hard water than most of my other soaps (as it contains a couple of mineral chelators). But perhaps give it a go.

I wish I could get MWF to work... I found it to be ultra sensitive to how much water is added. 99% of the time I just get a foamy lather. Then I cut the water ratio way back and don't get any lather. I gave up on it... too many other great soaps out there that don't require this amount of effort!

Seems like I am in the same boat with thread starter. Just got my puck of MWF and tried to build some lather and got exactly same problems. Gave up and just did quick 2 pass shave with almost invisible lather on my face. Although it was slick enough to shave but was not good shave in a any way. Will keep trying though.

Top Bottom