What's new

president or aristocrat?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Hey everybody,

I am thinking (only thinking) of buying a Gillette President or Aristocrat off eBay, and a couple questions enter my mind. I haven't ever held one of these razors so I need to know what any distinguishing characteristics are. Just some distinct physical trait that would allow me to pick one out from an impostor in a dirty photograph.

Another thing I would need to know is pricing. How much should I have to pay for either of these razors, either with or without the case? Let's assume the razor is in good to very good condition (I can modify the prices you guys give me, assuming quality differences, from there).

Lastly, and I guess most importantly: is there any noticeable difference in shave quality between these and a standard Gillette SS?

Hey everybody,

I am thinking (only thinking) of buying a Gillette President or Aristocrat off eBay, and a couple questions enter my mind. I haven't ever held one of these razors so I need to know what any distinguishing characteristics are. Just some distinct physical trait that would allow me to pick one out from an impostor in a dirty photograph.

Another thing I would need to know is pricing. How much should I have to pay for either of these razors, either with or without the case? Let's assume the razor is in good to very good condition (I can modify the prices you guys give me, assuming quality differences, from there).

Lastly, and I guess most importantly: is there any noticeable difference in shave quality between these and a standard Gillette SS?

I'll have to the leave the comparisons to another B&Ber, having never shaved with an Aristocrat. I purchased an excellent, uncased President from a B&Ber for $65. Just the hint of brassing on the fine edges of the silo doors...and in fact, the brassing was uniform on all four courners which was odd. Nevertheless, its an amazing shaver and I'm happy about the price I paid for it.

My only recommendation would be to get one off a B&Ber...you're going to get royally screwed on the Bay buying one of these IMHO. Markups are ridiculous

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
That has been my impression. Crooked sellers who "lose" their item if it sells too low, or unknowing bidders who bid way way too much for an item are in plenty...

I've shaved with both, experimenting with Derby's and Red IP's in each. The Aristocrat consistently gave closer shaves regardless of blade. President gave good shaves, but I found myself pressing the razor into my face to get BBS.

I'll have to the leave the comparisons to another B&Ber, having never shaved with an Aristocrat. I purchased an excellent, uncased President from a B&Ber for $65. Just the hint of brassing on the fine edges of the silo doors...and in fact, the brassing was uniform on all four courners which was odd. Nevertheless, its an amazing shaver and I'm happy about the price I paid for it.

My only recommendation would be to get one off a B&Ber...you're going to get royally screwed on the Bay buying one of these IMHO. Markups are ridiculous

That has been my impression. Crooked sellers who "lose" their item if it sells too low, or unknowing bidders who bid way way too much for an item are in plenty...

Actually, I got a nearly perfect one (uncased) on the 'Bay for $58. Depends on how you look. But the BST IS a more reliable source of Sellers who know what they have and will price it fairly. And no auction headaches.

Aristocrat is a very broad brush stroke in the world of Gillette's. So i assume you are talking about the Aristocrat that looks like a President but gold plated and some difference in knurling on the handle. The Aristocrats are slightly more aggressive than the Pres. but not by much. As for price, i would be willing to pay $100 for a President without defects like plate loss, brassing, scratches, case et al and $65 for the Aristocrat in similar condition. There is also a version identical to the Pres. except for gold plating, A Diplomat. This would fetch the same price as a Pres. Best of luck.

Rick,

First off...congrats! And second, IMHO you're experience is the exception and not the rule. Lately, Ebay has been out of control in the bidding wars and you almost have to be a "day trader" and watch the Bay religiously to score what you want at a decent price!

Rick,

First off...congrats! And second, IMHO you're experience is the exception and not the rule. Lately, Ebay has been out of control in the bidding wars and you almost have to be a "day trader" and watch the Bay religiously to score what you want at a decent price!

Well ya' got me there. I've spent WAY too much time on eBay (unemployed in the horrible Michigan economy, yet oddly not "broke", due to some high risk/high hour jobs in recent years).

But all of my eBay razor purchases (over 100) have been since Sept. 2nd of this year. I am a pretty experienced eBay buyer though, and search creatively, that helps a lot (my President was listed as a shiney Super Speed... I wasn't going to argue about it :biggrin:).

I've shaved with both, experimenting with Derby's and Red IP's in each. The Aristocrat consistently gave closer shaves regardless of blade. President gave good shaves, but I found myself pressing the razor into my face to get BBS.

Harry, I don't see a significant difference between my Aristo and Prez but I'm curious if your Aristocrat is the "no notch" '46-'47 model (mine is the notched '48 model). As with the Super Speed, some consider the '46-'47 to be slightly more aggressive than the later models.

Aristocrat is a very broad brush stroke in the world of Gillette's. So i assume you are talking about the Aristocrat that looks like a President but gold plated and some difference in knurling on the handle. The Aristocrats are slightly more aggressive than the Pres. but not by much. As for price, i would be willing to pay $100 for a President without defects like plate loss, brassing, scratches, case et al and $65 for the Aristocrat in similar condition. There is also a version identical to the Pres. except for gold plating, A Diplomat. This would fetch the same price as a Pres. Best of luck.

This! :thumbup1:

Well ya' got me there. I've spent WAY too much time on eBay (unemployed in the horrible Michigan economy, yet oddly not "broke", due to some high risk/high hour jobs in recent years).

But all of my eBay razor purchases (over 100) have been since Sept. 2nd of this year. I am a pretty experienced eBay buyer though, and search creatively, that helps a lot (my President was listed as a shiney Super Speed... I wasn't going to argue about it :biggrin:).

I've purchased three presidents, one from B&B, two from eBay. One of the eBay scores was listed as a "bright shiny aristocrat." I too chose not to argue :tongue_sm

Edit all my blather about case or no case, after reading your OP again :)

Here's mine without case. A great daily shaver.

I've got a Prez and an Aristocrat, both notched. Absolutely no difference in the shave at all, as far as I can tell. Both bloody good shavers, a step ahead of any Superspeed I have tried.

Harry, I don't see a significant difference between my Aristo and Prez but I'm curious if your Aristocrat is the "no notch" '46-'47 model (mine is the notched '48 model). As with the Super Speed, some consider the '46-'47 to be slightly more aggressive than the later models.

Sorry for the late reply, forgot about this thread. I have both the notch and no-notch versions of the Aristocrat. My comparison is based on using the notched version.

You're right Bill, there isn't a significant difference, but I do need to do more touch up work after using the Prez as opposed to the Aristocrat.

I can't tell any difference between the two Aristocrat models.

Hi Guys,

I'm just not a fan of Gold Plated items, but I love the shave of a 40s Aristocrat - so my solution?

See below. I love it!

proxy.php

In my garage :thumbup:

I have a full stripping and plating setup in there.

For Gold it's better to plate in nickel first then gold plate over the top, for a lot more durable finish. it's a shame Gillette never bothered to do this.

I like my gold but where if I may ask did you get that plated?:lol::lol::lol:

Top Bottom