What's new

Premium DE blade smack-down

PERSONNA PLATINUM (addendum)

Recently, Personna Reds have been exported to the UK and packaged in Mexico - and there's no solid confirmation that the blades are the same as the ones we've come to like. I found this thread that somewhat clears things up:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/294551-New-personna-red-blades

Your blades may be from Israel or Mexico, or be packed differently (blue inserts instead of red). A few shavers complain that the Reds aren't the same anymore, for whatever reason. In other words, your current batch of Personna Reds may or may not be what you're looking for - and Personna doesn't exactly make it easy to learn the difference.

I'd appreciate any information on this. :bored:

PERSONNA PLATINUM (addendum)

Recently, Personna Reds have been exported to the UK and packaged in Mexico - and there's no solid confirmation that the blades are the same as the ones we've come to like. I found this thread that somewhat clears things up:...

They're the same blade. Personna themselves, as well as their dist. have said so.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/51858-The-Official-Guide-to-Israeli-Made-DE-Blades

Maybe I'm dense, but after reading the various linked posts on the Personnas, I don't see anything that's definitive or clearcut despite what some people say. I'm just confused and Personna doesn't seem to want to make things transparent. I may eventually try some of these, but for the most part I think it's easier to find other blades one likes and buy the exact same kinds always.

Are you having a third party load and unload the blades? You have to shave without knowing the brand before or after to provide an objective assessment of these blades.

Are you having a third party load and unload the blades? You have to shave without knowing the brand before or after to provide an objective assessment of these blades.

That's a pretty incisive comment, and it cuts to the main drawback with the my methodology. There was another B&B member Oscroft, who was more meticulous with his trials, comparing two blades with a double-blind methodology. That said, I'm not aiming for an objective assessment of these blades; these reviews are subjective, detailed, and hopefully contain enough information to be useful.

After performing my own trials, I discovered that my blade reviews mirrored Oscroft's results. My reviews don't control for user bias, but I'm careful to provide detailed information that other shavers can validate the results. These reviews have already unseated personal favorites, and forced me to reevaluate some popular blades.

That's a pretty incisive comment, and it cuts to the main drawback with the my methodology. There was another B&B member Oscroft, who was more meticulous with his trials, comparing two blades with a double-blind methodology. That said, I'm not aiming for an objective assessment of these blades; these reviews are subjective, detailed, and hopefully contain enough information to be useful.

After performing my own trials, I discovered that my blade reviews mirrored Oscroft's results. My reviews don't control for user bias, but I'm careful to provide detailed information that other shavers can validate the results. These reviews have already unseated personal favorites, and forced me to reevaluate some popular blades.

I agree here, razor blades are being tested not cancer drugs. It would be great it if could be completely blinded but I think this is close enough, no pun intended. That being said I have had the same or very similar results with the blades I have tried that are reviewed here. nice work.

You do see the obvious solution right? Let's just buy sample packs for our younger brothers, give them an excel sheet to fill out with different categories, and then post them..

Then they get to deal with the pain of a bad blade and we get to sit back and gather results.. ;)

I may actually do this soon with my younger brother.. Lol

It's really too bad there are no old time Gillette insiders we can consult. I'd wager that Gillette conducted a lot of highly systematic and scientific in-house tests of cutting ability, vs. perceived sharpness or smoothness, and what factors caused different people to react differently to various blades. They could tell us for example how Gillette's compared to Wilkinsons and what things Gillette did that staunched the loss of market share that began when Wilkinson beat them to the market with stainless steel blades. In particular, what were the specifics of the Gillette stainless blade production that they observed made them good buys for customers who had jumped to Wilkinson but were wooed back. But of course, they have/had no interest in sharing that information especially if it makes their competitors look good. There were more published studies on shaving that were independently conducted through the 1930s, but apparently in the last sixty or seventy years, most of the work has been done by private companies with only limited findings appearing from time to time.

BLADE #14 UPDATE: PERSONNA PLATINUM

This review could be named, “The Mystery of the Red Personna.”

I purchased “Red Personna” blades from two different vendors: BullGoose Shaving Supplies and West Coast Shaving. I received similar packaging from both. In the past, Personna blades from Israel might come in a red label, but the current labelling is a consistent aqua and silver. Each plastic “tuck” contains ten blades, and is housed in a white plastic blade holder a la Derby and Feather.

$RED pack.jpg
Figure 1: Plastic pack of 100 blades from West Coast Shaving. I ordered 100 blades from BullGoose Shaving, but they came in a ziplock bag. Otherwise, the blades and packing were identical.

The “Israeli Red” and “Red Personna” nomenclature still confuses many, since it refers to a prior labeling convention. The “Red Personna” is gone forever; it’s now aqua and silver. Read this for a thumbnail history of the blade: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/51858-The-Official-Guide-to-Israeli-Made-DE-Blades

$plastic pack.jpg
Figure 2: Tuck of “Red Personna,” with contents

The blade itself looks very similar to the “Red Pack Personna.”

How does it shave?

Very good news. This almost identical to the “Red Pack Personna”; the blade is exceptionally smooth and lasts around four or five shaves. It’s something like a Gillette Silver Blue (a personal favorite), but this Personna is cheaper and resists nicks. On a ATT with an H2 plate, this is notably smoother for me than the well-liked Voskhod - but it’s less expensive and more available.

NEXT BLADE: CRYSTAL PLATINUM

I wonder why Personna doesn't take measures to clean and clear up their packaging so consumers know exactly what they are buying. I've only tried the Lab Blues and liked them enough to buy a 100 pack but if I have a hard time finding them the next time I need a supply I may have to move on to something else.

I wonder why Personna doesn't take measures to clean and clear up their packaging so consumers know exactly what they are buying. I've only tried the Lab Blues and liked them enough to buy a 100 pack but if I have a hard time finding them the next time I need a supply I may have to move on to something else.

My guess is that Personna is selling similar/identical blades at different price points and for different markets. They are also OEM blade makers for stuff that gets rebranded by CVS, etc. Most of their customers aren't hobbyists searching out packs of 100 or more. They probably don't think the effort to achieve transparency will buy them enough extra revenue and might actually hurt them, especially when CVS and others sell a single tuck for $7 or $8. Also, the US and Israeli operations might be sufficiently independent that coordination is problematic, just as Gillette in Petersburg probably does little/nothing to coordinate with India.

BLADE #15: CRYSTAL PLATINUM

$Crystal.jpeg

This blade has an almost fanatical following, and is noted for exceptional sharpness, consistency…and value. Microscopic pics show that the blades are practically slathered with protective coating. http://sharpologist.com/2013/10/blade-search-crystal.html

They’re made in Nazareth, Israel.

I’m using the same prep for my blade reviews:

1. I soak my face for about four minutes at 125-150•F with a shaving cloth.
  2. I massage 6-8 drops of grape seed oil into my skin for around twenty seconds.
  3. I use an Omega boar shaving brush and Honeybee shaving soap.
  4. I shave as long as it takes to achieve a minimum DFS result; that means two passes or so, with touch-ups. I’ve begun using an ATT razor with an H2 plate (similar in aggressiveness to the R41). I shave as lightly as the blade allows.
  5. Rinse with with warm water.

Shave #1
Definitely sharp - I got two nicks on my chin and one on my lip. (So much for the honeymoon period after shaving with the “Red Pack Personna.") Despite the presumed extra-heavy coating on the blade, I experienced a mild razor burn after trying to clean up the mustache and neck.
In other words, the extra protective coating photographed on a microscope didn’t seem to have all that much effect.
Six minute shave +.

Shave #2
Somewhat less sharp than shave #1. It’s more difficult to shave the mustache ATG, and there’s slight roughness on the chin.
Two nicks on the chin, probably from too much pressure cleaning up.
Results on the chin were exemplary, but almost DFS everywhere else
Seven minute shave.

Shave #3
Same as shave #2 - even the same nick near my chin.
Seven minutes shave +.

Shave #4
I’m trying to resist the temptation to shave with more pressure, but the neck and mustache area requires additional passes to get a smooth shave.
The throat isn’t as smooth as I’d like, and the chin is still a little rough, even two hours after shaving.
I’m tossing this, if only to avoid the nicks.
Seven minute shave ++.

While there has been some ambiguity with the “Red Pack Personna" (until recently, anyway), Crystal is relatively straightforward: they’re sharp, and shave best when applying zero pressure. For that reason they’re similar to the Personna Lab - albeit smoother. Shave #1 is sharp with a tendency to nick, and shave #2 is smoother - but can still nick, particularly on the touch-ups. It’s possible to get four or so shaves from this blade - but for some reason, I prefer the relative smoothness of the "Red Pack Personna."

NEXT BLADE: GILLETTE 7 O’CLOCK SHARPEDGE (Yellow)

BLADE #16: GILLETTE 7 O’CLOCK SHARPEDGE (Yellow)

$GIillette Sharp edge.jpg

The Gillette 7 O’Clock series has received warm reviews, but the “Sharpedge” (yellow) seems to get unusual attention. I consciously saved this blade for last because of its acclaim.

I’m using the same prep for my blade reviews:

1. I soak my face for about four minutes at 125-150•F with a shaving cloth.
  2. I massage 6-8 drops of grape seed oil into my skin for around twenty seconds.
  3. I use an Omega boar shaving brush and Honeybee shaving soap.
  4. I shave as long as it takes to achieve a minimum DFS result; that means two passes or so, with touch-ups. I’ve begun using an ATT razor with an H2 plate (similar in aggressiveness to the R41). I shave as lightly as the blade allows.
  5. Rinse with with warm water.

Shave #1
Sharp and smooth.
No razor burn, but two small nicks, both on my chin while cleaning up a rough area.
The blade glides smoothly, and even shaves the mustache ATG with only slight resistance. (This stroke is an anchor for my evaluation of a blade; as a blade wears down, mustache resistance increases. I also carefully monitor the resistance on my chin.)
Six minute shave.

Shave #2
The jaw is smooth, and by the second pass and touchups, the chin and mustache are especially clean.
Only slightly more resistance on the mustache, but it was especially clean.
Slightly more roughness on the chin, and the throat area is acceptable, though I’m not sure I can do much better on a one-day shaving schedule.
Six minute shave +.

Shave #3
Again, very smooth shave, though I spent more time shaving my neck and chin than usual; slight roughness on the chin
I also detect more resistance on my mustache; also, the mustache isn’t quite as smooth as before
Seven minute shave.

Shave #4
Yet another smooth shave, pretty much identical to shave #3, except -again - more resistance not the mustache and chin (except more).
I’m j-hooking the neck area, but don’t get perfect smoothness; nothing new there.
Altogether, a very good shave, though with a little more effort.
Seven minute shave.

Shave #5
My jaw is smooth after shaving, my neck about the same (very slight stubble), and chin could be cleaner.
My mustache is progressively more resistant to shaving; this, time shaving ATG was uncomfortable - but do-able. There’s a little “bumpiness” on touch - a reliable sign that the blade is losing its edge. I could get a new blade, but my shave is still satisfactory.
No nicks or cuts.
Seven minute shave.

Shave #6
Amazingly, the shave is almost like shave #5. No cuts or nicks - it just takes a little more time to shave the mustache and shin especially.
I’m certain I could a few more shaves from this blade; the performance is very good, even if the mustache could be a bit closer.
Seven minutes +.

The Sharpedge is very close in performance as the 7 O’Clock Black - it even seems to improve over time; that is, the blade stays sharp, especially as edge wears. You could do well with both blades, but it pays to shave lightly; that’s probably good advice for any good blade. At about $21 for 100 blades, the Sharpedge balances good performance with fair pricing.

NEXT POST: BLADE REVIEW SUMMARY

Last edited:
BLADE REVIEW: POLSILVER SI REDUX….AGAIN

$Polsilver.jpg

I’m not going to review the Bolzano blade again; it has too many conflicting reviews, and even fans of the blade admit that it may not work with aggressive razors. However, Polsilver SI is one of the most highly regarded blades around, and deserves another try.

With my previous review on this thread, the Polsilver lasted six shaves; that’s pretty good evidence that it's is a strong blade. But I wasn’t impressed with its widely lauded smoothness. This time, I’m going to make sure I’m shaving with zero pressure.

Here’s a summary of the results:

On the first shave, my face was extremely smooth, and the beard itself showed very little resistance. As a test, I tried an ATG first pass on the mustache, and I had to shave somewhat more quickly; but there was no pain or irritation. Not quite up to Feather sharpness, but equal to the GSB or Gillette 7 O’Clock Black.
Slight stubble and a tiny nick.

I started noticing additional resistance by shave #4, and I seemed to need additional pressure to get the closeness I wanted. Instead of bearing down on the razor, I used multiple light strokes. No pain or razor burn.

By shave #6, the neck took more time to shave than usual, though the cheek was smooth every shave with this blade. There was enough edge to make for at least one more shave, maybe more if needed. But the neck didn’t meet my requirements for smoothness, and the chin wasn’t as close as shaves 1 - 5.

Most blades improve the more lightly you shave, but that does double with the Polsilver SI. The blade is relatively sharp, so it’s easy to fall into the fault of over-shaving: that is, using too much pressure and/or covering the same area repeatedly. The blade offers a close, fairly smooth shave; however, at $25 for 100 blades, I believe It’s somewhat overpriced.

SUMMARY OF BLADE REVIEWS

The idea here was to test some of the highly recommended blades out here. Also, I wanted to confirm why some shavers feel there’s no difference between blades, while others find lots of differences.

I found out quite a few things during my blade reviews - including interesting answers to both questions.

These aren’t empirical, validated ratings. Validated evaluations are an excellent way of making sure that user bias doesn’t poison your evaluations. (B&B user Oscroft compared pairs of blades using a single-blind comparison, shaving the left and right sides of his face,) Interestingly, my conclusions and Oscroft’s are pretty consistent.

There are lots of ways to set up a study, but the best designs have lots of subjects, tight procedures, and well-conceived research designs. In a forum setting, that might not be realistic.

In other words, use these reviews as a general reference...but do your own testing to determine what’s best for you. I used two closely matched razors of these shaves: the Muhle R41 and the ATT open comb with an H2 plate.

These are my picks, presented in order of preference. For reviews in context, consult the thread. Post your agreement - and disagreement!

And it’s not a bad idea to make a printout of these ratings, in case you need the information again.

EXCELLENT BLADES
$1 Feather.jpg
Feather
is sharp and quite smooth (especially if you shave lightly). It’s also possible to push the blade, though it’s clearly sharpest with shaves #1 - 5. I can tell I’m using a Feather, but at no time is the shave harsh - even with an aggressive razor like the R41. It’s really important to shave lightly with this blade. Price for 100 blades is about $25. ****

$2 Personna Med Prep.jpg
Personna Med Preps
are $34 for 100, and may be the sharpest shaving blade in production. Two things distinguish the Med Preps: an exceptionally keen blade (possibly even sharper than a Feather) and extra sterilization. And that’s the problem: they cost a third more than the Feather, somewhat mitigating the Med Prep’s advantage. But if money’s not an issue, the Personna Med Prep is hard to beat. ****

VERY GOOD BLADES
$3 Gillette Silver Blue.jpeg
Gillette Silver Blue
may not be as rapier sharp as a Feather or Personna Med Prep, but it’s agreeably sharp, and outrageously smooth (even if you push the blade). For many shavers, the GSB excels at balancing sharpness, smoothness - and even value. I didn’t have too much of a problem with the blobs of wax, but some find it infuriating. Rumors abound that GSBs are on their way out, so stock up. (I stockpiled six-hundred plus.) The best price is around $20 for 100 blades - for $160 for 1000. ***

$6 Gillettte 7 Oclock Super Platinum.jpg
Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Platinum (black - India)
offer a fine shave from the start - and the blade dulls only incrementally; good shaves last through its entire life. Shaves #2 to 5 are very close in quality, and it’s easy to tell why they’re so well liked. Maybe the best of the 7 O’Clock blades. About $21 for 100 blades. ***

$Polsilver.jpg
Polsilver SI
blades requires a light touch, but deliver a very close shave. I got consistently good shaves, and most were
exceptionally close; I was able to eke out six shaves from a blade, though it could comfortably offer one (or maybe two) more. That said, at $25 for 100 blades, the Polsilver SI seems a bit overpriced. ***

Perma-Shave Super deliver on their promise: they're noticeably sharp and last a long time. These blades are incredibly close for the first two shaves, but (with extra time, and maybe a little extra pressure) will continue to provide six very good shaves - or more. Consistent and reliable. At about $18 for 100 blades, this is a decent value. ***

Gillette 7 O’Clock Sharpedge (yellow) isn’t quite Feather-sharp, and they maintain the sharpness through nearly a week’s shaves. You may have to apply a little more pressure as the blade gets worn, but this blade performs well. The overall performance is very close to the Gillette Super Platinum black, though the latter is slightly sharper, all in all. About $21 for 100 blades. ***

Gillette 7 O’Clock Permasharp Stainless (green) is similar to the 7 O’Clock Super Platinum (black), except they have about one shave’s less sharpness. The blade delivers two outstanding shaves, but there’s a gradual increase in tugging over time. About $20 for 100 blades, though the price seems to be in flux.

GOOD BLADES
Astra Superior Platinum costs only $11 for 100 blades, and its value is certainly a selling point, as is its unerring consistency. You still end up with at least one or two excellent shaves - until the blade starts to lose its edge (around the third shave).

Personna “Red Pack" aren’t as sharp as the Feathers or Med Preps (much less the Perma-Shave Super or Gillette 7 O’Clock), but they’re a fine value at $12-15 for 100 blades. Offering an unusually smooth, nick-free shave, these blades are at their best with shaves 1 to 2 or maybe 3; but with some added pressure, the blades still offer a total of five or more shaves. Recently, these have been exported through the UK and Mexico, but are otherwise identical to the Personna “Red Pack.”

Voskhod Teflon Coated gives two smooth, clean shaves…but only for those two shaves; after that, get a new blade. These are about $20 for 100 blades; their short life makes them iffy from a value standpoint. (A Personna "Red Pack” is smoother and lasts a lot longer.)

Personna Labs require one thing from a user: a light touch - and more so if you have an aggressive razor. Pressure invites weepers galore, but light shaving and good technique makes for a very good shave. Expect two good shaves, but you can squeeze out maybe five. $14 for 100 blades is a good price, though you get better comfort and blade longevity with the “Red Pack” Personna.

"UNDECIDED" BLADES
Bolzano Superinox just made the grade on my testing, despite its reputation and relatively high price. The first shave is fine, but the edge degrades from there. I’m not sure if it can compete with the better St. Petersburg blades. I’d like to try this blade again, since at least B&B review says the blades excel with milder razors. (I use an ATT with an H2 plate.)

UNSATISFACTORY BLADES
Super Gillette Barber Blades are manufactured and marketed to the Chinese market, but even a veteran shaver will have a problem coaxing a good shave out of this dull blade.

Fantastic thread! Subscribing, of course, but I also wanted to thank you for all the time you put into this. It's inspiring me to try a GSB, which I haven't tried before, in my new Atlas S2 tomorrow morning for its first run (it was that or a Personna Lab Blue).

This is a great thread to read, especially for me being a noob with DE shaving! The reviews are very well done and I like the summary aspect. I decided to try a couple and see. The GSB and Gillette blacks.

Thx.

Great work, great thread.

I like GSB and Gillette Yellow's very much. They are my preferences in the blades I have tried so far. Based on this thread, going to try a Feather blade in my EJ this weekend. I have 10 from a sampler pack that I have yet to use.

Love this thread...thank you for the huge effort! Really enjoyed the read. FWIW, my top 3 blades (in order):

1.) Feather
2.) Gillette Silver Blue
3.) Astra SP

So we're in agreement quite a bit (with the top 2 anyway). :001_smile

I need to revisit the Persona Med Preps again.

Top Bottom