What's new

Premium DE blade smack-down

I still marvel at the depth of your reviews! The amount of time necessary to produce reviews with so much depth and detail is fantastic! Great job poikkeus!

+1, I started doing this with mine but do not go inter nearly as much detail. Mainly my notes so I can find a go-to blade.

Thanks for the details.

Great write up on the blades. I've always had great shaves with Feather and Astra SP blades but have struggled with Polsilver and Gillette Blues.

BLADE #7: PERMA-SHARP SUPER

The Perma-Sharp Super, like many outstanding blades, is made in St. Petersburg - and have a reputation that rivals the Gillette "Swede." But we’ve heard that before, haven’t we?

I’m using the same prep for my blade reviews:

1. I soak my face for about four minutes at 125-150•F with a shaving cloth.
  2. I massage 6-8 drops of grape seed oil into my skin for around twenty seconds.
  3. I use an Omega boar shaving brush and Honeybee shaving soap.
  4. I shave as long as it takes to achieve a minimum DFS result; that means two passes or so, with touch-ups. I’ve begun using an ATT razor with an H2 plate (similar in aggressiveness to the R41). I shave as lightly as the blade allows.
  5. Rinse with with warm water.

Shave #1
Superior closeness and smoothness; I have to rub my jaw to feel how good the shave is; even the neck area is unusually close.
No nicks or cuts. No irritation.
I noticed a very small amount of tugging - particularly my mustache.
(I always get a better shave on a two-day interval, but one-day always leaves some stubble behind. They say that a longer prep will take care of that.)
About 6 minutes +.

Shave #2
Superior closeness and smoothness, like before. This is a really good blade.
One small scrape when I shaved the upper neck area too hard.
No tugging this time, even on the mustache.
About 7 minutes.

Shave #3
Very good closeness and smoothness - but it clearly isn’t as sharp as with shaves #1 and 2.
Smooth on the chin, but slight roughness on the chin and neck.
Also, the chin drags on repeated passes on the chin; the mustache could be cleaner. I noticed that added pressure was needed the rough areas, though the shave quality was still very good.
Seven minutes +.

Shave #4
Very good closeness and smoothness - same as shave #3.
Seven minutes +.

Shave #5
Amazingly, there’s still very good closeness and smoothness. However, I noticed I was using quite a bit more pressure than before. That said, this blade still delivers a very good shave.
Some parts of the face are a little irritated; the feeling went away after several minutes. The mustache area is not as smooth as shaves #1 and 2, but the only resistance is on the chin - which could be a little cleaner.
One small nick on my lip.
Seven minutes +.

Shave #6
Again, good closeness and smoothness. This blade refuses to die.
The mustache area shaves easily, but could be smoother. A small amount of stubble on my cheek. My chin requires repeated touch-ups...but results are satisfactory.

Slight irritation on my cheek, but quickly disappears.
Eight minutes.

Shave #1 with the Perma-Sharp Super was unusually close and face-rubbingly smooth - it’s the real deal. On shaves #3 and 4, there’s an notable loss of sharpness...but it’s still quite good. In fact, the shaving results are consistently good throughout the blade's life, though you may find yourself shaving with more pressure. So far, Feather and GSB are tops for me, but I could easily slip the Perma-Sharp Super into my rotation.

NEXT POST: blade request for PERSONNA LAB

BLADE #8: PERSONNA MED PREP

This request reviews the top-rated American-made blade. Apparently, there are notable differences between the Personna Med Prep, Lab Blue, and Personnna barber blades.

2. I massage 6-8 drops of grape seed oil into my skin for around twenty seconds.
  4. I shave as long as it takes to achieve a minimum DFS result; that means two passes or so, with touch-ups. I’ve begun using an ATT razor with an H2 plate (similar in aggressiveness to the R41). I shave as lightly as the blade allows.

Shave #1
An extremely close and smooth shave.
Slight soreness, but that’s after applying too much pressure. Minutes later, theres no problem.
Mustache and chin aren’t as smooth as I expected; slight roughness.(I'm sure it's a "technique" problem.) Still, the blade seems efficient and sharp.
(A big step above Personna's regular grade "barber" blades, which don't even last a shave for me. Why does Personna even bother with them?)
Seven minute shave.

Shave #2
Face-rubbingly smooth on my jaw, slight stubble on my chin, and very close shave on my neck.
As before, clean and efficient. The clean feel reminds me of Feather blades.
Six minute shave +.

Shave #3
About as smooth as with shaves #1 and 2, and the mustache area shows slightly more resistance.
The chin could be smoother.
(The only “gusher” I’ve had recently happened here, when I mishandled the blade, causing a small wound.
Seven minute shave.)

Shave #4
Smooth and close.
The mustache had even more resistance than shave #3; however, the overall shave was very close.
I’m impressed by the sharpness and efficiency of this blade.
Seven minute shave +.

Shave #5
While my shaving results from shaves #3 to 5 are equally good, I’ve noticed that notably more blade pressure is needed to give the same results. The neck area is the most problematic; I’ll shave the loose skin to bring the blade closer to the stubble. There’s slight irritation, and lasts a few minutes, but I still get a very good shave.
The blade is still sharp enough for a strong DFS shave…but with effort.
No cuts or nicks.
Eight minute shave.

Shave #6
Smooth and close once again, but added effort and pressure is needed for a good shave. But it can be done.
Mustache resistance is slightly painful, especially ATG. Shaving the neck leaves the skin tender, but the shave is smooth.
I probably should have tossed the blade after shave #5, but the shave quality was (and is) still quite good.
Eight minute shave +.

Personna Med Prep blades are justifiably popular. Shaves #1 and 2 are face-rubbingly smooth; but the blades are still sharp and efficient into shaves #5 and even 6 (albeit with additional pressure). However, the price is the issue; Feather blades cost about $25 for 100 blades, while Personna Lab Preps cost $34 for 100 - and the Feathers are notably sharper.

NEXT REVIEW: blade request for GILLETTE BLUE BLADE

Last edited:
So far, on this thread, I’ve reviewed the following blades:

1. Gillette Silver Blue
  2. Polsilver SI
  3. Astra Platinum
  4. Feather Hi-Stainless
  5. Gillette 7 O’Clock Black
  6. Gillette Platinum
  7. Permasharp Stainless.

I'm also watching if someone wants a particular blade reviewed. So, for the next month or so, all my reviews are user requests. The first request is already reviewed:

8. Personna Lab Blue

You can post in this thread if there's a blade you'd like reviewed!

Last edited:
Thanks for the details. I've tested most of the blades you have reviewed here and I have settled on the Personna Lab with the PolSilver a close second. There are still a few I'd like to try over time but for now the Personna is my go to blade.

"SMACKDOWN" BLADE REVIEW REQUESTS

A B&B'er wanted to know which blades would be reviewed next. I don’t have access to vintage blades like the Personna 74 or Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade (sorry!), but these eight blades are on the list so far:

Personna Med Prep (USA) - reviewed!
Gillette Blue Blade (China) - to be reviewed soon!

Gillette 7 O’Clock Permasharp (green) - reviewed by early next week!
Crystal (Israel - said to be close to Feather sharpness, without the nicks and cuts)
Bolzano Superinox (Italy - the top Italian blade, bar none)
Voskhod (Russia - sharpness, comfort, and value - is this a trifecta?)
Personnas from Israel (Are they as good as their reputation suggests?)
Personna Lab Blue (Is there a real-world difference between the Lab and Med Prep?)

In the meantime, you can make your review requests on this thread, or by PM.

Last edited:
We need a blinded study. :001_smile

You may be right. In fact, one was performed on B&B this year comparing a nice variety of blades; although the methodology wasn't perfect, the results were still illuminating. (I wish I had the link....)

We already know so much - which blades are the sharpest, why and when beards soften, etc. - but you can get many answers by doing your own trials, or studying others'. Or reading something like Kyle's soft shaving tutorial, which is posted here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/9745-How-to-Pre-Shave-Prep

BLADE #9: SUPER GILLETTE BLUE BLADES

$Gillette Blue Blades.jpeg

This blade comes from Shanghai, and there’s already some confusion about the blade: whether they’re up to Gillette quality...whether they’re worth buying...

I’m using pretty much the same prep for all my blade reviews:

3. I use an Omega boar shaving brush (or recently, a new badger brush) and Honeybee shaving soap.
  4. I shave as long as it takes to achieve a minimum DFS result; that means two passes or so, with touch-ups. I use an ATT razor with an H2 plate (similar in aggressiveness to the R41). I shave as lightly as the blade allows.

Shave #1
From the start, the blade started tugging. Even the first strokes on the cheek took multiple passes; the throat eventually shaved clean, but only after continued J-hooking. (J-hooking is an excellent cleanup method named by Mantic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQco5PWc2JU.)
Chin is still a little rough, and there was stubble only an hour after shaving.
This is an almost painfully dull blade, and it's pointless to continue testing if the blade lost its edge on the first day. Are they fakes? I doubt it, especially since other users have complained of similar quality problems with this product.

(Last shave, I used a Personna Med Prep blade, and tossed it after six shaves; but that blade was sharper than a new Super Gillette Blue.)

Not to be confused with the Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Bleue blades, or vintage Gillette blues (none of which are being manufactured anymore), the Gillette Super Blue blade is Chinese-made. And not particularly easy to purchase in the USA…for good reason: they’re not good enough to justify selling them outside of their market.

NEXT POST: blade request for GILLETTE 7 O’CLOCK PERMASHARP STAINLESS (green)

Last edited:
It's interesting that I see no strong support for any Made in China blades. Even when some claim that blade X or Y is ok or even pretty good, there's no strong consensus that any one blade is good enough to dominate -- on both quality and price dimensions -- more preferred blades from Russia, India, or Egypt.

The only Chinese made blades I like are the Gillette-Wilkinsons that are marketed for India. Smooth blades that are just as good as the Indian manufactured version.

BLADE #10: GILLETTE 7 O’CLOCK PERMASHARP STAINLESS (green)

$Gillette Permasharp green.jpeg

This blade gets very good to outstanding marks for sharpness and smoothness - which seems to be about par for 7 O’Clock blades. But rumor has it that some 7 O’Clocks are better than others. Let’s find out….

Shave #1
Very close, smooth shave.
Slight roughness about the cheek, and also the chin, but the neck is unusually smooth for a one-day shaving schedule.
A bit of tugging on the mustache ATG, but the overall shave is smooth.
The blade isn't exceptionally sharp, but very good. No nicks or cuts.
6 minute shave +.

Shave #2
About the same as shave #1 - smooth and close.
My cheeks shave even closer than before, though my chin needed buffing to shave clean.
Very slight tugging on the mustache ATG - but very smooth.
Touch of irritation after buffing, but it disappeared in minutes.
6 minute shave +.

Shave #3
Almost immediately after shaving, I notice additional tugging - an issue that was negligible during shave #1 and 2. However, by speeding up the strokes, I still ended up with a solid DFS shave - excepting the somewhat rough chin area, and the upper neck.
As before, there’s slight irritation after buffing that disappeared after a few minutes.
Seven minute shave.

Shave #4
Very similar to shave #3, except that the whiskers showed even more resistance this time, especially the chin.
The results were identical this time. Slight irritation doing J-hooking, but it went away in minutes.
The blade still performs well, but it’s a little harder to get the DFS results I want.
Seven minute shave +.

Shave #5
The results are the same as before - DFS - but it just takes longer to get to that point.
I needed extra time to shave my chin cleanly, though the neck area refuses to do so.
I scraped my neck area while shaving to aggressively, but no nicks or blood.
The cheek still has a little stubble, and my mustache isn’t really clean - especially an hour after shaving.
Clearly, I need to replace the blade, though it’s possible to push the blade a little more if necessary.
Eight minutes shave.

In general, Gillette's 7 O’Clock blades are reliably good...and so is the Permasharp Green. It's not ultra-sharp from the start, but delivers two excellent shaves - and gradually loses its edge from there. The 7 O’Clock Super Platinum black lasts maybe a shave longer, but the differences are probably slight if you trash the blade after two or three shaves.

NEXT BLADE: blade request for VOSKHOD TEFLON COATED

Last edited:
BLADE #11: VOSKHOD TEFLON COATED

$Voskhod.jpeg

For many shavers, the Voskhod blade combines sharpness, extreme smoothness, and value - definitely one of the more popular Russian blades. Supplies may be inconsistent, but several vendors carry an ample stock of these blades.

Shave #1:
Smooth, comfortable shave - but not exactly ultra-close. As you’d expect from a Voskhod blade, no cuts or nicks. No irritation or redness.
This blade is certainly forgiving, and for the most part shaves effortlessly (although I felt slight resistance on the mustache ATG). It’s almost as if a Voskhod buffs away a typical blade’s harshness.
Six minute shave.

Shave #2
Another smooth, comfortable shave. A small nick, but no irritation.
Some resistance on the mustache ATG, but nothing that faster strokes can't fix.
As with shave #1, this isn’t a super-close blade - but offers a solid DFS shave.
I noticed, about six hours after shaving, a little more cheek stubble then usual. These blades don't seem to have much lasting power.
Six minute shave +.

Shave #3
While the shave is about as comfortable as before, it’s more of a struggle to achieve a true DFS. It takes more time and effort (and pressure) to smooth out the cheeks and mustache, and it seems the neck is never smooth enough. Could it be that the blade is already dying after only three shaves?
Problem is, if you want truly smooth results, it’s increasingly hard to get them on shave #3.
Seven minute shave +.

Shave #4
While I can shave my mustache, there’s just as much resistance as with shave #3, but the ATG pass isn’t exactly smooth.
This was slightly sub-DFS shave, with a little stubble in unexpected areas - like the cheek. I nicked myself trying to clean up my chin, which required the rare use of styptic.
Voskhod isn't giving me a very good shave, overall.

Seven minute shave +.

The first two shaves are comfortable and forgiving. But the blade isn’t rapier sharp to start off with, so it loses sharpness more quickly than I expected. Shave #3 isn't particularly close, and it's more of a struggle to maintain a clean shave,. I had to toss the blade after shave #4. The Voskhod, in order to give the blade a more comfortable first two shaves, has buffed away it’s sharpness and longevity. Disappointing.

NEXT BLADE: blade request for BOLZANO SUPERINOX

BLADE #12: BOLZANO SUPERINOX

$Bolzano.jpeg

The Bolzano Superinox gets high reviews in general, and is thought to be the top Italian double edge blade. And it has maybe the coolest name for any blade in the biz.

Shave #1
For the most part, a close, smooth shave. I got a small weeper on my neck - nothing major.
Frankly, the blade is a little rough on my chin; I needed to shave more quickly here lest the razor start pulling, and the same thing goes with the ATG passes on my mustache. This blade feels a little dull, like a third or fourth shave; I somehow expected more from this blade.
An hour after the shave, the mustache still felt feels somewhat irritated - and it’s not as smooth as it should be.
Six minute shave +.

Shave #2
This shave isn’t as close as before. The neck has some stubble, as does the mustache, which drags way more than a shave #2 should with a good blade.
Slight irritation on the mustache, again, but it dissipated after about five minutes.
I had to apply additional pressure on the chin and neck, but it still wasn’t especially smooth.
Seven minute shave.

Shave #3
About the same as shave #2.
The mustache and chin still drags somewhat, but I just used more lather and shave with faster strokes; neither are exactly smooth to the touch.
Seven minute shave +.

Shave #4
Satisfactory shave overall, with the usual stubble on the neck, and some roughness on the chin and mustache. I tried shaving more lightly, this time; while the shave is about the same, but roughness is even more of a problem.
The mustache area shaves only when I use fast strokes to compensate for the blades’s reduced cutting ability.
Two small nicks on my throat.
I wanted to squeeze a few more shaves from this blade, but the roughness makes for unsatisfactory shaves.
Nine minute shave.

Despite their high reputation in Italy, Bolzano Superinox blades don’t live up to the hype. While shave #1 is close, the tendency to drag on the chin and mustache makes for a less than stellar shave; additional shaves don’t improve the performance. What’s more, this blade isn’t inexpensive. This may be why Bolzano doesn’t get the import action of St. Petersburg blades.

NEXT BLADE: blade request for PERSONNA LAB BLUE

BLADE #13 PERSONNA LAB BLUE

$Personna Lab.jpeg

The Personna Med Prep occupies the top rung in the Personna lineup. But at half the price, Personna Lab Blues offer a clear advantage in economy. Microscopic photos suggest that the two blades are very different; the Med Prep has a smoothly tapered blade, while the Lab Blue has a more abrupt, less-tapered blade. This image tells the whole story:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-Another-Personna-Med-vs-Lab-thread-With-pics

Another recent B&B thread, the shaving community seems to be divided: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/427813-Nicks-with-Personna-Labs.

4. I shave as long as it takes to achieve a minimum DFS result; that means two passes or so, with touch-ups. I use an ATT razor with an H2 plate (similar in aggressiveness to the R41). I shave as lightly as the blade allows. I toss a blade when I no longer get a DFS shave.
__________________________________________________ ____________

Shave #1
(My prior experiences with the Lab Blue were problematic: I had an unexpected amount of weepers, which forced me to dump the blades prematurely. This time, I resolved myself to super-light strokes, and all the “technique” I could muster, on the assumption that this would fix things.)
I took extra care to shave as lightly as possible, and I ended up with a smooth, close shave. There was slight resistance on the chin.
Finishing up, I buffed the neck area a little too much, and I ended up with a few scrape marks - the same kind of marks I got when shaving with this blade several months ago. The key, then, is to shave very lightly, from the first stroke to the last - and be especially careful if you’re using an open comb razor.
Six minute shave +.

Shave #2
Very close shave, smooth on the face, but slightly rough on the neck and chin. The mustache is very smooth.
Small nick on the area between my neck and face, no major bleeding.
The blade isn’t as “pins and needles” sharp as with shave #1, so it’s easier to make my shave smoother all around.
Six minute shave +.

Shave #3
Another very close shave, identical in results as #1 and 2, except the neck area has slightly more resistance.
One small nick due to applying too much pressure to my chin, and no discomfort or pain.
Six minute shave +.

Shave #4
Nearly identical to shave #3, which means: close, smooth, comfortable.
I noticed that the mustache area is slightly rougher by touch, though the shave itself is quite smooth.
Neck area, as usual, still has typical stubble remnants.
No nicks or cuts, though it would be easy to get irritation by over-shaving an area. The blade is starting to lose its edge, but still has ample edge.
Six minute shave+.

Shave #5
Easily the best shave from these blades so far; clean jaw and mustache, slightly rough neck, and satisfactory chin shave. The problem is that it took several minutes extra time and pressure to achieve that shave. Some bleeding trying to shave cleanly, and my felt slightly sore fifteen minutes after shaving.
This blade no longer gives shaves like 1-4, though it’s possible to squeeze out one more shave.
Eight minute shave.

Unlike the Personna Med Prep, the Lab requires an extremely light touch; they’re distinctly different blades, and shave quite differently. The Lab starts off super-sharp on the first shave; there’s no choice but to shave super-lightly (unless you want nicks and cuts). But it mellows into a smoother shave from that point, and there’s no evidence of the extreme sharpness by shave #4. Shave #5 is about the limit for me, though it’s possible to squeeze out another. Sharp blade, close shaves, good value - what’s not to like about the Lab Blue?

NEXT BLADE: blade request for PERSONNA RED (Israel)

BLADE #14: PERSONNA RED PLATINUM (Israel)

$4 Personna Red.jpeg

Many shavers are familiar with the Personna blades made in Verona, VA - like the Med Prep and Lab Blue. The Personna Red from Israel may be one of their best shaving blades, which are said to be sharp and exceedingly smooth. Currently, the blades are being exported from Israel to the USA through the UK.

I use the same prep for all my blade reviews:

3. I use an Omega boar shaving brush (or a new badger brush) with Honeybee shaving soap.
  4. I shave as long as it takes to achieve a minimum DFS result; that means two passes or so, with touch-ups. I use an ATT razor with an H2 plate (similar in aggressiveness to the R41). I shave as lightly as the blade allows.
  5. I shave on a one-day schedule, even though I get BBS shaves on a two-day turnaround. That makes a big difference in my shaving results.
__________________________________________________ ____________

Shave #1
I started shaving gingerly with this blade, thinking could be potentially rough going (as per Lab Blues), but the Personna Red is sharp and extremely smooth.
No cuts or nicks.
I could have shaved myself more cleanly - slight stubble remained in some places - but the shave was outstanding. I was paying much more attention to potential cuts and scrapes.
I noticed at, even on shave #1, there was slight resistance on the lip, and the throat could be cleaner.
Six minutes+.

Shave #2
I shaved a little less gingerly on the second shave - and the shave is extremely smooth, and very close. This blade balances the two very well; it’s up there with the Gilette Silver Blue as one of the most comfortable blades out there. Even the demanding on-the-neck shaving is comfortable.
(This blade isn’t as rapier sharp as some brands; it takes some extra work to shave the mustache completely, for example.)
Six minute +.

Shave #3
Close, smooth shave. In fact, I was able to shave more aggressively, using j-hooking to get the whiskers on my neck and jaw - and got an extremely good shave.
The mustache area was slightly rough, as well as the chin. I had to shave with faster strokes on the mustache as a result of the added resistance.
Seriously smooth.
Seven minute +.

Shave #4
Just as close and smooth as shaves #1 - 3. It seems to have lost some of its sharpness; the throat and mustache take longer to shave, though the quality of the shave is still good.
Also, smoothness and comfort are very good, in spite of the fact that I shaved more aggressively. Skin feels slightly irritated, but that dissipated five minutes after shaving.
Seven minutes +.

Shave #5
While shaving my jaw is predictably smooth, the mustache, chin, and throat take more strokes to clean up. Even with this help, the shave somewhere between DFS and a really good SAS.
It took more pressure to shave the mustache and chin in particular.
Despite the imperfect shave, the blade is still comfortable - even though the sharpness is waning.
I could easily shave another day with this blade, no problem; however, the relatively rough parts of the shave force me to toss it.
Nine minutes shave.

For about the price of a Personna Lab blade, you can get Personna’s Israeli Red Platinum; with shipping, they're around $15/100 - a really good value. The first two or three shaves were heavenly - smooth, close, and nick-free. Shaves #4 and 5 require more time and pressure, but my face feels great with this blade. For me, the Personna Red has a nearly ideal balance of closeness, comfort, and nick-freeness.

(I'm really looking forward to my shave with the Crystal Platinum, which is said to be very similar to the Red.)

BLADE #15: CRYSTAL PLATiNUM

Top Bottom