What's new

Post Your Catch

This one comes with a story. I'm not much of a fisherman any more. But back in my 30s I used to go quite a bit. My grandfather who I adored very much was getting on in years. He fished fairly regularly for most of his life and had a boat and a shed full of fishing gear. He had since gotten rid of the boat but still had the shed full of gear. I had recently asked to borrow some of the stuff to go fishing. He said "You can just keep it. I'll never use it again." That hurt me. I decided I had to take him fishing. So I set it up, tried to get my father and uncle to come along. They passed. It was just Papa and me. It was tricky getting him to his chair on the edge of the pond as he wasn't too sure on his feet, but we managed. This pic is from that day. We didn't get to fish too long as it started raining after about an hour. He died the following year, but I will always be grateful that I got to take him fishing one last time.
Fish.jpg

I'm in northern New Mexico, still pretty cold here this week but hoping to get lines wet with my son (10) here in a couple weeks. would go this weekend but I'm drywalling a mudroom we added to the house.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
And one of my grandfather on that day. I have that cane which I converted into a hiking stick.

View attachment 1792133
Thanks for posting this. Reminds me of my Dad. Miss him every single day. All he would ever fish with was a cane pole. He was something else.
I'm in northern New Mexico, still pretty cold here this week but hoping to get lines wet with my son (10) here in a couple weeks. would go this weekend but I'm drywalling a mudroom we added to the house.
Take him out ASAP. That mudroom will still be there..... That 10 year old will be 20 and towering over you as quick as you can blink. It happened to me, trust me.

It is a very mild-tasting fish. When I lived in Arizona I fished at a lake that had stripers in it. The fresh water variety, imho, was milder tasting in contrast to the salt water variety.
I think the taste of most fish carry an influence of their environment(s).
One of the main reasons I stopped eating Sand Bass long ago; a.k.a turd-rollers or more affectionately crapper-snapper...

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Thanks for posting this. Reminds me of my Dad. Miss him every single day. All he would ever fish with was a cane pole. He was something else.
Take him out ASAP. That mudroom will still be there..... That 10 year old will be 20 and towering over you as quick as you can blink. It happened to me, trust me.
Heavy post. My father, 84, had told me that the fishing we do this season will be the last fishing we do. I understand and I knew it was coming.

There is a profound beauty and it's a personal tragedy when your taking the man who taught you knots, tackle & patience out for his final casts.

Top Bottom