What's new

Post Your Catch

Got these two bass today and a handful of panfish. Had a good trip despite the heat.

20180728_143459.jpg

20180728_115535.jpg

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Awful picture, but a great fish. I was so anxious to get it back in the water I wrecked the shot with the shadow. But still, the best brown of the season!
fullsizeoutput_3c6.jpeg

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Thanks pork! Today's brown came in at a respectable 18".
fullsizeoutput_3d9.jpeg
He put up a great fight after falling for a size 16 soft hackle.
fullsizeoutput_3d7.jpeg
I was alone, so it was hard to get a good picture.

Nice fish!

I had a pretty good trip yesterday. Maybe a dozen panfish and 10+ bass. The most bass I've ever caught in a day. All caught on fixed line tenkara rods. Made for some interesting fights with the bigger fish in faster currents lol.

20180825_121108.jpg

20180825_104902.jpg

20180825_131320.jpg

20180825_134130.jpg

20180825_142539.jpg

20180825_133719.jpg

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Nice Mark, Tenkara is really fun, especially when the fish might be big for the rod!
I had a first, today, a lake-run brown trout. My new net has mother of pearl hero dots, and this guy went past all four of them! I don't think I have been so close to losing a fish so many times before I got him in the net. Once he saw me he took off! It was so strong- and I was using a 5-weight! I was shaking for a while after I took the photo and watched him swim away. I've been putting a lot of time in on the river, and the last few days it feels like it has payed off.
fullsizeoutput_3e6.jpeg

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Adam:
Can I post my son's latest catches (he's in Germany...and with his permission of course)?

proxy.php
"I see you caught some fish". Nope...I just talked 'em into giving up". Common Fishing Joke

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Jim:
I'm not a avid fisherman...but my son near Kaiserslautern, (K-Town), Germany is and he sent me this pic early last month of him holding a 'whooping' approx 5ft (1.70m) long, 103lbs (47kg) Catfish (break out the Tarter Sauce), he pulled out the stream not far from his house. :thumbsup:

Randy Fishing.jpg

proxy.php
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles". Doug Larson

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I had a first, today, a lake-run brown trout. My new net has mother of pearl hero dots, and this guy went past all four of them! I don't think I have been so close to losing a fish so many times before I got him in the net. Once he saw me he took off! It was so strong- and I was using a 5-weight! I was shaking for a while after I took the photo and watched him swim away.

Lake run fish are a lot stronger than their river living cousins. Virtually all of my game fish fishing has been on lake run fish. Trout, Steelhead and even Coho salmon are akin to sprinters. They call Chinook Salmon Kings for a reason. They're more like long distance marathon runners.

Many of the bigger fish will just simply turn slightly to angle away from the current and counter your tension and lay there. Thats why I used a 16' 4" Loomis 5wt as a float rod. Even with 2lb Dai Riki leader line, that rod has enough energy to roll them over and force them out of the current they use to their own advantage.

The Chinook below I landed mid Oct 1992 in the Credit River just outside Toronto, about 5 miles upstream from Lake Huron. On a friends digital scale it read 45.2lbs if I remember right, beating the Ontario record at the time by over 2 pounds.

Unofficial Ontario Record Chinook Salmon.jpg

That was about a 30 minute fight and during it the palm of my left hand was pushing the butt end of the rod out. There wasnt 6"s of air between the tip and the butt, on 2lb Dai Riki tippet material and a #8 black Woolly Bugger.

It took that fish another 30 minutes to recover he was so worn out, but he swam off to go make more monsters.

This smaller one made for a lot of nice steaks.

Mid October again and the very same run the bigger fish was caught in. Same gear, but a #6 red Crystal Flash streamer.

me4.jpg

Through the 1990's on a typical day in mid October 100 fish like that a day were common in the Credit. The friend I fished with all the time and I sat down on the bank at noon one day and we each counted our remaining flies. I started with 100 freshly tied flies on Tiemco hooks. By noon hour that day I had lost 82 flies. No idea how many fish were landed. We we both much younger then and in pretty good shape and we could barely lift our arms they were so tired.

I really miss that kind of fishing...

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Wow, you guys, those are some beasts! I am still such a rookie that even moderately nice fish get me excited. And 100 fish a day? Unreal!
And a 5 ft-103 lb catfish? That is bigger than a lot of people I know!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
And 100 fish a day? Unreal!

In the Credit back then there were 25,000 Chinook salmon alone that ran that river every year after the first big rain around the second week of October, plus other species of Pacific salmon and the trout would follow them in. The Chinooks would hammer black Woolly Buggers like they hated them. The Rainbows and others that followed them, smaller chartreuse and white Woolly Buggers were really good in that river and Egg Sucking Leeches or anything that mimicked roe and small streamers that imitate bait fish. Clouser Minnows were especially good for the larger trout when fishing behind the Chinooks.

I'm not sure where you are or if they do any stocking of the rivers around you, but studying stocking reports can give you a very good idea of what to expect over a 5 year cycle.

The Saugeen River 2 hours north of me is a very good example. Its had a decent Steelhead run starting in July since the mid 1990's, but quietly since I think 2010, they've stocked that river with 30,000 fingerlings a year every year since.

That river below Dennys Dam to Lake Huron has always been a salmonid mecca. Its very nice, but big, trout water. Tight too and right behind that old bridge abutment is a hot spot if the water is low enough so you can wade out a bit to manage your line. I've caught more trout in that river right there than anywhere else, and few fished it.

The-Saugeen-River-Dennys-Dam-the-Abutments.JPG

Its a river of giants, if you can hang on to them.

A Google pic just as an example.

Winter-Saugeen-River-Steelhead-First-Island-AA.jpg

My biggest was 17lbs and if I have a picture of it, I havent scanned it in. Fighting a 20lb Steelie in early July is an experience that wont be forgotten. Friends have caught several 20+lb's.

Father upriver at Paisley Ontario, there was a 54lb Musky caught a few years ago.

Being a mostly warm water river, its not good year round for trout, unless you venture into the headwaters. There and the small creek tribs that feed it, you can still catch resident Brown and Speckled Trout if you know where they live. We've caught specks literally in the ditch at the side of a road.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Joe:
That's what I said too (wink),...that monster must of gave him quite a fight (he sent me a video of that last part...after the Catfish was 'done tuckered out' and easy to snag).
proxy.php

proxy.php
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope". John Buchan

Last edited:
Top Bottom