What's new

Post Shave Routine - I'm Confused

I'm confused about the proper sequence used for post shave skin care. Back in the old days of cartridge razors I'd shave and apply a moisturizer, good to go. Now that I'm into the DE thing I'd like to apply something that cools, soothes and moisturizes. I also am liking some of the subtle scents aftershaves provide.

So what's the preferred method for post shave care?

Let's say I'd like to use an after shave splash, alcohol based. Should I then follow up with an aftershave balm? Or let the splash dry and use my regular moisturizer (which is really good and I like a lot). For example, I'm liking the Captain's Choice Sandalwood aftershave, which I read has some glycerin included. If I use this post shave, is a balm then used, or just my regular moisturizer? Or is this all a matter of personal preference?

What's your routine?

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Do what you like. I like the nourishing post shave feel that good quality soaps/creams provide and I don’t want to mess with that. If you look at all the ingredients in pre-post balms lotions, soap- cream, soothers,splashes, that’s a lot of different stuff hitting your face. I probably have neutral skin, not too dry/oily and try to keep it simple and limited on my face. I will apply a post shave soother below my jawline if irritated but that is rare now. I like a splash for fragrance and apply more like cologne, shoulders, collarbone, back of neck. Less of a routine, more of a response to how my skin is feeling daily, which I very good as of late. It is a matter of personal preference.

After I shave, I run a wet alum block over the freshly shaved are. This closes the pores and disinfects any tiny abrasions you can’t see. It will also stop any weepers if you happen to get one. I then rinse the area with cold water to get rid of the alum. After that, Nivea post shave balm. I then attend to other grooming areas while the Nivea soaks in. At the very end I apply a moisturizer over my bald head and work my way down to the neck line. A spritz of EDT and I’m done.

it sounds like a lot, but it leaves my skin happy.

If I'm using a balm and a splash, I apply the balm first. It's the heavier product. I typically with only use one or the other, so my post shave is:

Warm water rinse
Alum
Cold water rinse
Balm/AS (or in that order, if both)

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I use an alcohol based aftershave, cologne, or edt first in the hope of getting a big post shave burn, and then a moisturiser or balm. I may reapply scent several times during the day if I feel like it. There is no right and wrong way, I suggest trying whatever products you have in various different ways. When you find a routine that works for you then keep doing it, maybe mix it up now and again for variety.

Many have said it, try out a few combos and see what works. My preferential order is:
-Rinse (hot then cold)
-Witch Hazel (never treats me wrong)
-Aftershave splash (mostly about the 'smell of the day' here, sometimes I even mix a few)
-Balm (try to pair scents with AS, if any)

Many have said it, try out a few combos and see what works. My preferential order is:
-Rinse (hot then cold)
-Witch Hazel (never treats me wrong)
-Aftershave splash (mostly about the 'smell of the day' here, sometimes I even mix a few)
-Balm (try to pair scents with AS, if any)
We have the same pattern except sometimes depending on mood I substitute Lucky Tiger face tonic for Witch Hazel.

There is no right or wrong way for post shave. You do what works for you. I can only say what I do which I find works for me.

Immediately after my shave and final cold water rinse I apply the following in this order:

* Osma alum block rubbed all over my face and neck. I let it sit while I clean up my gear and then rinse it off with cold water.

* T.N. Dickinson's witch hazel applied with a cotton ball. I don't rinse this off.

* An aftershave splash. I pour some in my hands and slap it on my face rubbing it in all over my face and neck.

Occassionally in the winter my skin will feel a little dry. It's not often but if I feel I need it I'll apply a balm like Taylor of Old Bond Street Luxury Aftershave Balm. I'll tend to use this in place of the aftershave splash. If I want something with a nice scent, I'll spritz some Cologne or Eau de Toilette. Read what others do and experiment with the stuff that sounds interesting to you.

After I shave, I run a wet alum block over the freshly shaved are. This closes the pores and disinfects any tiny abrasions you can’t see. It will also stop any weepers if you happen to get one. I then rinse the area with cold water to get rid of the alum. After that, Nivea post shave balm. I then attend to other grooming areas while the Nivea soaks in. At the very end I apply a moisturizer over my bald head and work my way down to the neck line. A spritz of EDT and I’m done.

it sounds like a lot, but it leaves my skin happy.

+1
I also find that alum helps remove the last of any soap. Useful if you don't want any soap scent or irritation from soap ingredients. It will clear the field for balms or toners to do their job.

I love a good alcohol based splash to follow up my shave, I rarely use a balm but if I do it is usually in the winter months. I only use one or the other, I never use a splash and balm together.

Like others have said, this is very much a do what works best for you issue. This is my routine:

Cold water rinse
Witch Hazel is I feel like it
Splash

I've not tried Lucky Tiger. Seems like something to add to the rotation.
I would recommend that you try Lucky Tiger face tonic. It’s really the only one of their products I use. I love the face feel and the fragrance. IMHO the scent is noticeable enough but doesn’t get in the way of a splash or balm you might apply afterwards. I think Lucky Tiger is under $20 , lasts a long time and I like the old world packaging at least to me it seems old world.

After shaving and rinsing with cold water I run the alumn block (no need to wet it since my face is already wet) over my face.
I leave it on for a minute or two and than rinse it with cold water.
I than apply the AS splash of the day.
I can't stand balms or creams.

I smear the remnants of the lather on my face and then clean brush and bowl, I do this to help got some of the moisturizing properties and the scent into the skin. Then cold water rinse and if I feel like I got carried away I use alum block, if not I dry face. I do use witch hazel in place of the alum block to help soothe. After either of those steps I let the face dry as I brush teeth, I like a dryer face when I apply AS(summer) or AS balm(winter because of the sub-zero temps and dryer skin). If I use an AS in the winter other then balm I will put on Nivea Men Creme(Face, Body, Hand cream in the tin) or Cremo face moisturizer. I don't think I have ever used both an AS and AS balm at the same time, I also don't ahve both in any given soap scent. The Nivea is an excellent moisturizer but it changes or cover up the scent of the AS. The Cremo it okay and it has no scent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom