What's new

Polsilver Razor Blades

Polsiver weren't discontinued as a blade, they put the brand on pause.
The very sames blades are still produced and they are sold rebranded as Wizamet Super Iridium.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I purchased 400. Then a couple of years back I read that they were discontinued, so I purchased another 400 (about $63). I still have a pretty sizeable pile, as you might imagine.

Keeping track of my shaves I discovered that weepers only appeared on the 15th pass, so I started tossing them before that and it's worked out very well.

But I read yet another post on people getting 30-40 days on one blade. It doesn't really make sense to me, but I thought I'd try it. I usually go 4 days. On day 7 I had plenty of irritation. I suspect I was trying to compensate for the dulling blade and did the thing that must never be done - added pressure. Day 8 was more comfortable, but the shaves are definitely falling off in closeness. I don't know how many more days I can keep this experiment going.

I purchased 400. Then a couple of years back I read that they were discontinued, so I purchased another 400 (about $63). I still have a pretty sizeable pile, as you might imagine.

Keeping track of my shaves I discovered that weepers only appeared on the 15th pass, so I started tossing them before that and it's worked out very well.

But I read yet another post on people getting 30-40 days on one blade. It doesn't really make sense to me, but I thought I'd try it. I usually go 4 days. On day 7 I had plenty of irritation. I suspect I was trying to compensate for the dulling blade and did the thing that must never be done - added pressure. Day 8 was more comfortable, but the shaves are definitely falling off in closeness. I don't know how many more days I can keep this experiment going.

With a pile of 800 blades considering 5 great shaves per blade it makes 4000 shaves, over 11 years shaving every single day just with Polsilvers. I don't see any sense pushing them further to get you a subpar shave or worse cause you irritation.

Polsilver SI blades are one of my all-time favorites. Even at the inflated prices they command now, they are an infinitely better value than a cartridge razor.

Where can I buy them guys?
The Wizamet Super Iridium is the same blade except for packaging. There are a few vendors who ship from the U.S. Price is around $45 for 250 blades last time I checked. Please ignore BS claims that these are rare, limited-stock, discontinued, etc. They are just not distributed in the usual retail channels here. You are buying them "grey market" from another country using a middleman.

1604146365794.png

I really like them because they work for me in almost every razor. I managed to get my hands on lots of Polsilvers around 1 year before they were gone from the mass market. I find Gillette Platinum and Gillette Silver Blue similar. Not exacly the same feel, but very close. Also, i've heard from many people that Perma sharp blades shave almost like Polsilvers and you Nacets are also good choice as well.

Although it's my top 3 blade, I don't see anything super special or magical about it. I've been following some forums where most people didn't care about Polsilver blades, but once they were ''discontinued'', everyone is talking about them like there's no other good blade brand. Just like some people who are stocked up with vintage blades like - Gillette Spoilers, Thin, Blue and a few others are claiming that they are even better than the current ones.

If i'm still alive after 30-40 years and people are still shaving with DE razors, I might try to spread some rumors about the Polsilver blades and tell everyone that they are the best blades ever! :D

I think a lot of us actually lean toward the idea that they aren't 'discontinued' but are actually 'not currently in production'. I'm guessing in a year or so we'll see new production runs of them hitting on-line stores again.

Let's hope this is true. Their price right now is just insane

$49.99 / 250 ct and free shipping that's a pretty fair deal in my book ... not that I need any more WSI's right now :wink2:

I have 100 in my den. Used to be my go-to, but have discovered other blades I like just as much, if not more. Especially at current street prices! In terms of longevity, I get three shaves out of one blade, and then it goes to the bin, no matter the label. With over 800 blades in my den, I’m good for another 2400 shaves, and I only shave three days a week!

I have 100 in my den. Used to be my go-to, but have discovered other blades I like just as much, if not more. Especially at current street prices! In terms of longevity, I get three shaves out of one blade, and then it goes to the bin, no matter the label. With over 800 blades in my den, I’m good for another 2400 shaves, and I only shave three days a week!
What other blades do you like?

What the heck is wrong with this world? How is it possible that a gentleman on the B&B forums hasn't tried Polsilver blades yet?

PM me your mailing info if you're in the US and I'll send you a couple to try.

Shout out and thanks to Thirston who sent me two Polsilvers to try and this morning I loaded one up in my Rockwell 6S w/R4 plate. I had a very comfortable and close 3 pass shave that I would say seemed very much like the performance of the Personna IR, my current favorite. Now I understand why so many like them. Tis a shame the price has become so high for those blades.

I've not tried them yet, but I have a tuck that was in a blade sampler. I just got hung up on Feather blades and haven't progressed past them.

I've not tried them yet, but I have a tuck that was in a blade sampler. I just got hung up on Feather blades and haven't progressed past them.
Yeah once I found a blade that worked really well for me it made it more difficult to try others. I can buy 200 Personna IR blades for $23 dollars so 250 WI blades for $49 dollars doesn't seem a great deal to me. I will continue using this Polsiver blade and see how I feel about it as the week goes on.

Top Bottom