What's new

polishing with a dremel

hi
All

was just having a thought could one use a dremel with the polishing pads and buffers to clean razors,blade boxes,case with them, however i like to use good ol elbow grease. Would the dremel tool make it easy work or would it just trash the razor parts ie scratch ruin them,

on that case i use the dremel from my new hobby in glass,resin,metal engraving.

Dave

A tool in one person's hand can create masterpieces or destroy beauty.

You can give anyone a brush and some paints. What comes out depends...
I know the theory of flight, but I won't be piloting a plane any time soon.....

If you know how to use a dremmel and have the right accessories and skills, use it. I've used one several times to polish. I took the gold wash off a minty three piece New cap in 1 second flat. I've also brought some pretty fugly razors up a notch after all the cleaning and elbow grease just didn't do enough.

I agree with Baker Barber 100%. I'd rather not use a Dremel especially on anything gold plated. The times I've used it has been with a small generic Harbor Freight Dremel clone at a very slow speed with a cotton wheel and jeweler's rouge. It worked to polish the doors on an old Super Speed. However, you're most likely removing plating when you use this method.
Use at your own risk!

Hi Dave,

I have a Dremel (I'm a modelmaker as well) and I wouldn't put it near anything half-decent.

It would be great to polish up a really rough or rusty old razor though.

If you use any high speed tool watch out for heat build up.

Use it judiciously.

My motto on restoring anything is:

"Less is best and never do anything that cannot be undone"

I have a set up for polishing and light grinding with sanding disks from 1000-2000 grit. But I usually only take it to a point before I go it by hand. I also only use it on old ebay razors, and I have a variable dremel and use it only on the slowest setting.

Well, if you want to take the plating off a razor, few things work as well as polishing with a Dremel type tool.

Top Bottom